SportsWrath

Best Wishes Bobby Murcer

mickeef2

Murcer recovering after brain surgery

Bobby Murcer, the Yankees' broadcaster and former All-Star outfielder, underwent surgery to remove a brain tumor in Houston on Thursday afternoon.

A statement released by The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center said that Murcer was "awake and resting comfortably" following the operation.

"The Murcer family would like to thank all those who have extended their well wishes and support," the statement said.

The New York Daily News reported Thursday morning that Murcer, 60, had been suffering headaches and a loss of energy in recent days. An MRI on Christmas Eve revealed the tumor.

"I'm feeling OK and we're just going to have to see what this surgery will bring," Murcer told the newspaper Wednesday night. "I'm hopeful that everything will turn out OK and I'm thankful to have so many friends who are rooting for me."

Among those friends is Yankees owner George Steinbrenner, who wished Murcer well in a statement released by the club on Friday.

"I am so pleased that Bobby Murcer came through the surgery so well," Steinbrenner said.

"He has been a valued member of the Yankee family for over 40 years. Bobby is a loyal friend of mine, was and is a terrific Yankee, is an eloquent broadcaster and an extremely charitable person.

"I, and the entire Yankee organization, wish him a complete and rapid recovery -- and our hearts go out to his wife, Kay, and their family. I look forward to hearing his voice, his wit and his wise observations very soon.

"Good luck, pal."

Murcer was a five-time All-Star during his 17 big-league seasons, with four of those All-Star appearances coming as a member of the Yankees.

For most of the last 23 years, Murcer has worked as a Yankees broadcaster. Murcer was in the radio booth as color analyst from 1983-85, and has been on TV as a color commentator since 1987. He served as the team's assistant general manager in 1986.