SportsWrath

cap space

parlintm

So the Giants cut Green instead of Emmons. I think some of us are suprised by this move because cutting Emmons would have cleared more cap space and given us flexibility to sign some more FA's. I think it's highly unlikely that the Giants will cut Emmons too... if they were going to do it, they would have done it already.

I think that the Giants #1 priority in FA is to sign Will Allen or a CB of his caliber or better. After that the Giants need to resign Clancy or another DT. We also need to sign a veteran safety to backup Gibril and Butler... maybe even compete for the starting FS position.

These are the key signings. After these, I don't see us having the cap space to go after a big name such as Julian Peterson. Maybe someone can come up w/ the exact numbers, but if the Giants were going to get him, they would have cut Emmons. This means that the Giants are fine going into the season with their top 4 LB's being: Pierce, Torbor, Emmons and a draftpick. Personally, I'm satisfied with that unit.

Anybody else thinking along these lines? Also, people want us to sign a #3 veteran WR, but I'm not sure if we're going to have money for that either, especially if we need to sign a punter.

I see us getting a CB and a FS in free agency.

Emmons will probably stay, he adds valuable experience.

I think we will draft a quality LB early in the draft. They may be able to beat out Emmons at WLB

I think we will draft 2 LBs in the draft though

So the Giants cut Green instead of Emmons. I think some of us are suprised by this move because cutting Emmons would have cleared more cap space and given us flexibility to sign some more FA's. I think it's highly unlikely that the Giants will cut Emmons too... if they were going to do it, they would have done it already.

Actually, I believe we save more cap space by cutting Green than Emmons

they both signed 5 year deals,

Emmons' contract had a $4.5 million signing bomus

Barrett Green's contract had a 2.75 million signing bonus

Emmons has a $2.0 million base salary for 2006

Green had a $2.5 million base salary for 2006

Guest nosebleed

Ernie can't be that stupid to sign Peterson. He just dumped ultimate free agent bust Green, I hope he wouldn't sign another injury prone linebacker like Emmons. They can hop around, Emmons with his metal leg and Peterson with his scotch tape achilles tendon.

I think that the Giants #1 priority in FA is to sign Will Allen or a CB of his caliber or better. After that the Giants need to resign Clancy or another DT. We also need to sign a veteran safety to backup Gibril and Butler... maybe even compete for the starting FS position.

These are the key signings. After these, I don't see us having the cap space to go after a big name such as Julian Peterson. Maybe someone can come up w/ the exact numbers, but if the Giants were going to get him, they would have cut Emmons. This means that the Giants are fine going into the season with their top 4 LB's being: Pierce, Torbor, Emmons and a draftpick. Personally, I'm satisfied with that unit.

Anybody else thinking along these lines? Also, people want us to sign a #3 veteran WR, but I'm not sure if we're going to have money for that either, especially if we need to sign a punter.

As I specified in my offseason plan thread, cutting Green actually results in $1.37 million net cap savings, where as cutting Emmons clears up $1 million in cap space. The decision to cut Green instead of Emmons was not financially motivated.

I think you are underestimating our cap space (especially after today's moves) and overrestimating the market value for veteran WRs and Punters. The Giants can add quite a few guys via free agency, albeit no one as expensive as guys like Burress, McKenzie, and Pierce.

They could be trying to restructure Emmons. Maybe they think he could still play a role, but not at that much $.

I would imagine they intend to restructure Emmons ... I doubt they are comfortable paying him $4.0 million this year.

Well, do you think we have enough room for the aforementioned signings AND Julian Peterson or another player of his caliber?

We don't need a LB of Peterson's calibre

we have a good core of players, combined with quality draft picks we have a decent group

if we go with a LB in free agency, someone like Ben Leber or David Thornton would be good value for us

The only surprise about Green getting cut was that it happened this year instead of last year. This guy was absolutely useless as a player for us and a distraction off the field. GOOD RIDDANCE Barret.

Personally I would like to see them re-sign Greisen but he does have a history of being hurt so we can't over pay for him either.

I think we should look for solid depth at LB and Safety in FA with out getting caught up in chasing after over priced "names".

I think you are underestimating our cap space (especially after today's moves) and overrestimating the market value for veteran WRs and Punters. The Giants can add quite a few guys via free agency, albeit no one as expensive as guys like Burress, McKenzie, and Pierce.

You're probably right about my over/under estimating. Do you know how much the Giants are expected to have in cap space? I've alway heard the 3-5 mill range but it sounds like it will be a bit more.

I'd imagine that Peterson is comparable to a Burress in salary. If I remember correctly, he's been franchised lately so that means hes not going to be cheap... unless his price drops significantly because of his injuries. I know that we can/need to sign a bunch of veterans to provide depth, but I would think Julian Peterson on top of that would be out of our price range.

We don't need a LB of Peterson's calibre

we have a good core of players, combined with quality draft picks we have a decent group

if we go with a LB in free agency, someone like Ben Leber or David Thornton would be good value for us

I agree completely. I think the Giants would be better off using their cap space to sign a FS that can compete for the starting job or is a quality backup to either safety position.