SportsWrath

49ers acquire second first rounder from Broncos

gateb

Updated: April 19, 2006, 4:31 PM ET

Broncos deal 22nd overall pick to 49ersESPN.com news services

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The San Francisco 49ers now have two first-round picks in this month's NFL draft.

Charting the trade

Most NFL teams use a Trade Value Chart to make sure they're getting enough in return -- or not overpaying -- when trading draft picks. The chart assigns a point value to every pick in the seven-round draft.

So how does this trade between the 49ers and Broncos check out on the chart? The No. 22 pick that Denver sent to San Francisco is worth 780 points, while the two picks going from the 49ers to the Broncos No. 37 (530) and the No. 68 (250) are worth a total of 780. So according to the chart the trade is a wash.

The Niners acquired the 22nd overall selection in the draft from the Denver Broncos on Wednesday for picks in the second round and third round.

The Broncos will receive the 37th and 68th overall picks in the deal.

The Niners own the sixth overall pick in the draft as well as No. 22 in the first round.

49ers coach Mike Nolan was delighted about his trade with the Broncos on Wednesday. With picks No. 6 and No. 22 in the first round, the 49ers should easily come up with at least two starters.

"At No. 6, you have a better idea of what you are going to get," Nolan told ESPN.com. "In the middle or later half of the first round, we are pretty confident we are going to get a good player.

"We need starters. We're not just trying to build depth. We've lost some players this offseason, but I think our trade with the Redskins for Brandon Lloyd gave us an extra third round pick. We maintained our fourth round pick. We're dealing from a better position of power."

The New York Jets are the only other team with two first-round picks in the April 29 draft.

The Broncos now own seven picks in the first four rounds. They have the 15th overall selection after moving up from 29th in a deal with Atlanta.

Denver had acquired the 22nd overall pick from Washington in a trade last April

I think this is an interesting deal for both sides both with its pros and cons. With San Fran, I somewhat disagree. It's great to get another first rounder but in a draft as deep as this one with a team with as many needs as the 9ers do, they could maybe have used those second and third rounders and maybe could've made a different deal to obtain another first rounder. But I really can't say it's a bad move on their part. It just has its questions but it could very well be a spectacular trade. We just have to wait and see.

I don't see the point in this trade for Denver really. They trade down 15 slots and only get a 68th pick. I think they could've like the 49ers had a different deal setup and possibly instead of trading their first rounder actually traded up to #6 with San Fran and get Vernon Davis.

But it could turn out to be a good move for both teams.