SportsWrath

Giants LT Shawn Andrews Receives Treatment On Back

Mr. P

Giants left tackle Shawn Andrews (back) sat out practice today after working in a limited capacity on Wednesday.

Andrews' back flared up, and, according to someone informed of his status, he was in so much pain the team sent him to the hospital. The person requested anonymity because the Giants didn't provide specifics on Andrews' injury. Asked if Andrews was sent to the hospital, a team spokesman said only he received "treatment."

Andrews was asked via Twitter if reports of his hospital visit were true. At 9:29 p.m., he replied, "Still here smh (shake my head)."

ProFootballTalk.com first reported Andrews' hospital visit.

Andrews needed an epidural last week to alleviate the pain enough for him to face the Eagles. He said he wouldn't be able to get one every week. It's unclear if he received one today.

Over the past three years, D.J. Ware has been here before — to the threshold of being a productive, involved NFL running back.

To be honest, he figured he was back there at the start of this Giants season.

"I kind of thought going into it they were going to use all three of us more. But they had other plans," Ware said the other day. "All I can do is stay focused, stay humble, keep my nose to the ground and keep working."

From the sound of things, Ware’s work could begin extending to Sundays.

On Wednesday, while announcing Brandon Jacobs had taken over the starting role from Ahmad Bradshaw, Tom Coughlin also mentioned the coaching staff has plans to get Ware into the rotation at running back. It’s something Coughlin has said in the past but, for many reasons, it’s yet to materialize on a consistent basis.

Injuries, mental lapses and at one point a lack of dedication has kept Ware from making an impact on the Giants’ running game since he was signed off the Jets’ practice squad in 2007. He has only 30 carries in just 18 regular-season games since then, with 13 of his 15 attempts this season coming in the fourth quarter of the blowout victory over the Seahawks.

But this time, with Bradshaw fumbling, Jacobs an uncertainty as a starter and the passing game hampered by multiple injuries to wide receivers, the Giants might actually mean it when they say they’re going to get Ware involved.

And he believes he’s finally ready.

"I’ve learned a lot," he said. "I learned how to run harder, how to go down sometimes and not stand up and take a lot of hits. My balance is a little bit better. I’ve learned how to read the keys on my run plays. And pass protection has been pretty good."

Plus, for a player whose dedication was often questioned by his teammates and himself, he’s learned plenty off the field as well.

"Don’t take anything for granted," he said. "Don’t just think you’re going to just go out there and play."

--DE Justin Tuck (quad) returned to practice after sitting out Wednesday. He and DE Osi Umenyiora (knee) were limited. Both are expected to play. ... WR Will Blackmon (chest), C Shaun O’Hara (foot) and G/T David Diehl (hip/hamstring) did not practice for the second straight day.

-- The Jaguars added RB Maurice Jones-Drew (abdomen) and FB Greg Jones (ankle) to their injury report. Jones-Drew was limited while Jones did not practice.

WR Mike Sims-Walker (ankle) returned to practice in a limited capacity. OL Eugene Monroe (head) remains out of action.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/11/dj_ware_could_be_taking_on_lar.html