SportsWrath

NY Giants Do Not Tender CB Dockery; Do Tender Moss And Hixon

Mr. P

0226dockeryjpg-be394f8527996eb3_large.jpg

Kevin Dockery was invited to the Giants' 2006 rookie camp on a tryout basis, a long shot to ever play a down in the NFL. Nearly two years later, he was tightly covering Patriots receivers in Super Bowl XLII.

And now, after four seasons in East Rutherford, Dockery will soon be an ex-Giant.

The team will not extend a tender to the former undrafted free agent from Mississippi State, according to Dockery's agent, Drew Rosenhaus. The reason for the decision remains unclear, as the Giants would not have been forced to guarantee any of the salary that would have come with a tender. When free agency opens next week, Dockery will be free to sign with any team.

The 26-year-old Dockery had three interceptions in 51 regular-season games with the Giants. He played in four postseason games and recorded an interception in the playoff loss to the Eagles last year.

Dockery, who received a one-year tender from the Giants last year and played under the contract, was scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent. But the lack of progress in talks about a new collective bargaining agreement meant he was in line to be a restricted free agent, as players with four and five years' experience will be RFAs with no CBA extension.

I didn't get much time with Rosenhaus because he was on the phone as he walked by me. He just gave me a quick, "No tender for 'Dock.'" I didn't have a chance to ask about WR Sinorice Moss, but I've heard he was indeed tendered. Not sure at what level. If I had to guess, I would say it was the original level tender because Moss was a second-round pick. If so, that would come with a salary offer of $1.176 million.

Like Dockery, Moss was in line to be a UFA but will be an RFA if there's no new CBA.

WR Domenik Hixon, a third-round pick of the Broncos in 2006, received a second-round tender, according to someone informed of the transaction. The person requested anonymity because the Giants do not comment publicly on tenders.

It's the same offer the Giants gave DE Barry Cofield, so Hixon is in line to receive $1.759 million. If another team signs Hixon to an offer sheet, the Giants will have the right to match. If they don't, they're owed a second-round pick.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/02/ny_giants_do_not_extend_tender.html

ive often expressed frustration with dockery and im not mad at him leaving, i could do without moss and theres a chance he still might not make the team anyway, and hixon is nice to have as a return man, and with his return abilities another team might want to go after him.