SportsWrath

New York Mets @ Pittsburgh Pirates series

Plax 4 Prez

Game 1 Probables:

NYM: Martinez(9-5, 3.84 ERA) vs PIT: Maholm(7-10, 4.90 ERA)

Pedro back as Mets inch toward clinch

New York (90-55) at Pittsburgh (60-87), Friday, 7:05 p.m. ET

A guiding force in Boston's postseason run in 2004, Pedro Martinez will be looking to guide the Mets to the playoffs on Friday night.

When the Mets open their three-game series against the Pirates, they'll have the chance to clinch the National League East title for the first time since 1988.

The Mets had a chance to clinch on Wednesday, but the Phillies' sweep of a doubleheader from the Braves held off the champagne for at least one more night.

All eyes will be on Martinez as he makes his first start since going on the disabled list on Aug. 14 with a strained right calf. Though he threw a successful simulated game on Sept. 9, manager Willie Randolph said on Wednesday that he would like to keep Martinez's output limited, as he's expected to make two more starts before the playoffs.

In his last start before going on the DL, Martinez allowed six runs on four hits over one inning and just 34 pitches against the Phillies. He'll be taking on the Pirates' Paul Maholm, who has gone 4-2 with a 3.77 ERA in 14 appearances at PNC Park this year.

Pitching matchup

NYM: RHP Pedro Martinez (9-5, 3.84 ERA)

Prior to his stint on the DL, Martinez had won three out of his past four decisions.

PIT: LHP Paul Maholm (7-10, 4.90 ERA)

Maholm allowed three runs in his last start, the eighth time in his last 11 starts that he gave up three runs or fewer.

Player to watch

Freddy Sanchez, who leads the National League in hitting (.339), has hit safely in 17 of his last 18 games at PNC Park and owns a league-best .386 home batting average.

On the Internet

MLB.TV

Gameday Audio

• Gameday

• Official game notes

On television

• SNY

On radio

• WFAN 660 WADO 1280 (Español)

Up next

• Saturday: Mets (RHP Orlando Hernandez, 10-10, 4.96) at Pirates (LHP Tom Gorzelanny, 2-3, 3.74), 7:05 p.m. ET

Sunday: Mets (RHP John Maine, 5-4, 3.45) at Pirates (LHP Zach Duke, 9-13, 4.68), 1:35 p.m. ET

Monday: Marlins (RHP Josh Johnson, 12-7, 3.10) at Mets (LHP Dave Williams, 5-4, 6.62), 7:10 p.m. ET

We are getting into their bullpen (hopefully) in the 8th and 9th. We gotta do something there.

We are rooting for Philly now, I want the Mets to clinch the division, not the Phillies losing.

Lo Duca sure picked a great game to get kicked out of :TD:

Where are all of you?

Bases loaded one out for astros.. bottom 9.... this could be it.

Setting up for my nephew's christening tomorrow. It was killing me not knowing how Pedro was doing. Obviously not good. I was with a bunch of dueche bag Yankee fans telling me they are the best team ever and blah blah blah. God I hate those guys.

Setting up for my nephew's christening tomorrow. It was killing me not knowing how Pedro was doing. Obviously not good. I was with a bunch of dueche bag Yankee fans telling me they are the best team ever and blah blah blah. God I hate those guys.

we all do...we all do :mellow: