SportsWrath

New York signs SF Jared Jeffries

Goliath

The Washington Wizards will not match the New York Knicks five-year, $30 million offer sheet extended to restricted free agent forward Jared Jeffries last week, a league source told SI.com. Jeffries will become property of the Knicks on Monday.

The 6-foot-11 Jeffries averaged 6.1 points per game in 77 games (all starts) with Washington and was considered one of the top remaining free agents on the market.

Last week Knicks president Isiah Thomas -- who shares the same Indiana alma mater as Jeffries -- signed Jeffries to a frontloaded contract that included a lump payment of $6 million when he signs as well as a trade kicker.

The writing appeared to be on the wall for Jeffries when the Wizards agreed to terms earlier Saturday on a one-year deal (plus a second with a player option) with free agent forward DeShawn Stevenson, a less expensive alternative who averaged 11.2 points and 2.9 rebounds in 82 starts with Orlando last season.

But I wish we were under the cap

I think Isiah is finally starting to get it.

Jeffries can guard any player on the court. He's an underrated shooter and is a great pickup.

I also like what Mardy Collins is gonna do, he's also a pretty good defensive guard.

I think this move could actually put the knicks in playoff contention. Just get rid of francis and jerome james.

• 2 months later...