SportsWrath

Shockey Chucks Helmet After Demps Hit Him During Practice....

Plax 4 Prez

Jul 31, 2006

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -Three-time Pro Bowl tight end Jeremy Shockey was dazed in a collision with safety Will Demps late in the New York Giants' evening practice Monday.

Shockey was reaching for a pass by Eli Manning during a two-minute drill when Demps appeared to hit him in the helmet as he ran to cover the pass.

A stunned Shockey fell to the grass and stayed down for about a minute. He returned to the huddle and ran the final two plays of the practice, but he slammed his helmet to the ground after the last play.

After kneeling on one knee while coach Tom Coughlin addressed the team, Shockey walked off the field with trainer Byron Hansen. He held his head a couple of times on the way to the locker room and then gingerly walked down the stairs to the room.

There was no immediate word from the Giants on his condition.

Shockey was in a bad mood before being hurt. Earlier in the workout, he threw his helmet after Manning didn't throw a pass his way.

They played it on SNY. Demps leveled with him, Shock was acting like a bitch.

he's starting to become detrimental to our team... the 2nd day of camp, he calls our coach an ass, says he'll never change, takes our main reciever to Miami to work out, and now he's throwing his helmet like a little bitch... I'm starting to start rethinking what the Fab 4 said about him now.... I'm happy Demps knocked the piss out of him

Man, every thing this guy does is magnified 10000 times. It's really becoming rediculous. He is as competitive as they come. Sometime people like that are assholes, which I'm sure he is, but he has amazing energy on the field and he gets the whole team pumped up.

Everyone outside the huddle likes to speculate and guess how his attitude affects his teammates, but they aren't on the team and in the trenches with him. I'm sure his teammates appreciate his work ethic when they get on the field.

As far as his comments on Coughlin go, if you saw the interview, you can tell he isn't saying anything bad about him. It's kind of refreshing to see an athlete actually speak his mind rather than just tote the same boring company line.

Man, every thing this guy does is magnified 10000 times. It's really becoming rediculous. He is as competitive as they come. Sometime people like that are assholes, which I'm sure he is, but he has amazing energy on the field and he gets the whole team pumped up.

Everyone outside the huddle likes to speculate and guess how his attitude affects his teammates, but they aren't on the team and in the trenches with him. I'm sure his teammates appreciate his work ethic when they get on the field.

As far as his comments on Coughlin go, if you saw the interview, you can tell he isn't saying anything bad about him. It's kind of refreshing to see an athlete actually speak his mind rather than just tote the same boring company line.

I love Shockey. but c'mon. Does he really need to act like a little kid?

have you guys ever played football? This kind of stuff happens on every team. Shockey and the giants will be just fine. I hate when stupid stuff like this gets blown out of preportion. As long as the giants win nothing else matters.

No. I'm just sayin that I knew a kid in high school who acted just like him. Did all the little crybaby whining, threw his helmet so on and so on. I hated that dude. But every time he stepped on the field, he left everything he had out there, and put up great numbers doing it. So, I just think people should start lettin Shockey be Shockey and leave it at that.

One of the problems is that the media needs a story to talk about every day, and they know that they can get it from Shockey because he doesn't tote the company line.

I get tired of the microcosom that is Jeremy Shockey.

I agree... Shockey will go down as 'one' of the best Giant TE's in history, but the word "professionalism" has never been in this kids vocabulary... damnit man, just shut your mouth and play the game... stop telling ppl your the best, prove it... which he has in the past, but enough is enough.... he's making a mockery of this team... what would Mara or Tisch say if the camps first 4 days went like this?

Shock's gonna be fine. We didn't have major problems in 2004 or 2005 with him. If Shockey was going to be a cancer wouldn't he have ruined us already? Shockey won't be T.O. white as tha Fab4 used to say.

Is Mr. Negativity being positive???

nah... ;)

he's starting to become detrimental to our team... the 2nd day of camp, he calls our coach an ass, says he'll never change, takes our main reciever to Miami to work out, and now he's throwing his helmet like a little bitch... I'm starting to start rethinking what the Fab 4 said about him now.... I'm happy Demps knocked the piss out of him

You are taking over-reaction to a whole new level.

First of all, I dont get why our very own Giants fans like to purposely pull everything out of context about their very own team. I guess its the very own Giant fans who are discussing this more than fans of any other team. This is a very small thing, that for some reason, we ourselves are beautifully blowing it out of proportion.

First of all, he didnt sit around calling Coughlin an ass. He said "It's an easy adjustment when you have a head coach who really wants to win, but he can be an ass sometimes. But that's what your head coach can be. That's what you need." But we love to just pull out the 'ass' part and sound off for no reason when in reality the comment was not derogative.

He went to work in Miami in the offseason, because a lot of players swear by it and that training gets them more in shape for the season than anywhere else. So its actually a good thing, but no, we need reason to bitch.

Third, he is a fierce competitor and wants to win everytime he is out there. Maybe he was mad that he allowed himself to be leveled by Demps. A lot of his anger and madness are more on himself than on any other. If he had got up and started a shoving match with Demps after a clean tackle, then Id calling him a whining bitch. He did nothing of the sort. He was obviously shaken up after the hit and was probably pissed at himself for allowing that to happen.

I really dont see why we love 'constructing' issues about our own team when none exist. The team itself doesnt have anything to say about but, we , as fans who have 'supreme knowledge' of everything that goes on in camp, can 'brilliantly' make statements like 'Cancer', 'Detrimental' etc when there has been nothing to even remotely indicate anything of that sort.

Plax, I like your posts, but that one was straight out foolish, retarded and uncalled for. The FAB4 reference just made it worse than how useless it already was.

all this talk about Shockey....no mention of Demps. i'm freakin' happy we got a guy that can lay people out, guys like Shockey, of all people...who knows, it may have been cheap? i didn't see it.....

Either way...I'm psyched to hear about an excellent training camp in progress...

Demps sounds like he is the upgrade that we needed in the secondary...as far as shockey goes...I own one of his jerseys and would wear it proudly on any given day....fuck the media...they are well know for taking ANY issue and elevating it to suit their purpose...

Shockey is a great player no question... He also acts like a spoiled little bitch sometimes.

He gets upset that Manning misses him open, maybee if they spent the off-season working out together in NJ they would be on the same page..... Plus he is known to not stay on his route, Manning had not progressed to where he can handle multiple options on multiple routes.

I think him going to Miami for offseason conditioning is not a good thing . Sure he comes back in shape but he can afford any trainer in NYC to do that for him. He looses time together with his QB, if he were smart he would be going out to titty bars with Eli everynight.

I hope he will have a great season, and if he stays healthy there is little doubt that he will, but a closer relationship with the QB is always a good thing.

I think he should be gone hes not worth the negatives I know alot of people love him but I think its high time he hits the road. Ive said this for years and now his colors are really starting to show. remember last year when he stopped running for a fumble and eli had to jump on it to prevent a turnover. I hate that goddamned sunof abitch and I hope he gets hurt.

You are taking over-reaction to a whole new level.

First of all, I dont get why our very own Giants fans like to purposely pull everything out of context about their very own team. I guess its the very own Giant fans who are discussing this more than fans of any other team. This is a very small thing, that for some reason, we ourselves are beautifully blowing it out of proportion.

First of all, he didnt sit around calling Coughlin an ass. He said "It's an easy adjustment when you have a head coach who really wants to win, but he can be an ass sometimes. But that's what your head coach can be. That's what you need." But we love to just pull out the 'ass' part and sound off for no reason when in reality the comment was not derogative.

He went to work in Miami in the offseason, because a lot of players swear by it and that training gets them more in shape for the season than anywhere else. So its actually a good thing, but no, we need reason to bitch.

Third, he is a fierce competitor and wants to win everytime he is out there. Maybe he was mad that he allowed himself to be leveled by Demps. A lot of his anger and madness are more on himself than on any other. If he had got up and started a shoving match with Demps after a clean tackle, then Id calling him a whining bitch. He did nothing of the sort. He was obviously shaken up after the hit and was probably pissed at himself for allowing that to happen.

I really dont see why we love 'constructing' issues about our own team when none exist. The team itself doesnt have anything to say about but, we , as fans who have 'supreme knowledge' of everything that goes on in camp, can 'brilliantly' make statements like 'Cancer', 'Detrimental' etc when there has been nothing to even remotely indicate anything of that sort.

Plax, I like your posts, but that one was straight out foolish, retarded and uncalled for. The FAB4 reference just made it worse than how useless it already was.

My bad...when I heard the news I was a little tipsy... Man, I love Shock, but it has only been a half week since camp has started and all I hear is about Shock this, and Shock that... I want to hear good things, like Shockey in best shape of his life, or Shockey becomeing a team leader, or Shockey with a spectacular catch today... I'm tired of hearing all this negative shit... you know where I'm comming from?

My bad...when I heard the news I was a little tipsy... Man, I love Shock, but it has only been a half week since camp has started and all I hear is about Shock this, and Shock that... I want to hear good things, like Shockey in best shape of his life, or Shockey becomeing a team leader, or Shockey with a spectacular catch today... I'm tired of hearing all this negative shit... you know where I'm comming from?

I understand. But you have to look at this. For the media, the center pillar is negativity. That is what they thrive on. If you can blow up an issue on resentment as compared to blowing up a spectacular catch, the former always gets the more attention. The latter only appeals to Giants fans. But the former appeals to the world. Infact I dont think TO is as fucked up as the media makes him to be either. They both want to win, but TO thinks about himself, Shockey just wants his team to win and wants to be part of it. Giants fans should not be drawn into media propoganda and go the FAB4 way, because it is quite evident that Shockey is vital for this team's success and he will do everything he can and give his last drop of sweat and blood for his team to win. Would you rather go and practice in super-heat, totally suffering every minute during speed runs in deep sand in Miami, or do the regular 'involuntary' practice in NY? People say it like its a bad thing. These people are actually going there because they get in a monster workout and literally 'die' out there. Not because it is much less intensive than in NY. Read Peter King's article on why he feels Shockey going to Miami wont matter one bit. Ill get you a link if you cant find it.

I understand. But you have to look at this. For the media, the center pillar is negativity. That is what they thrive on. If you can blow up an issue on resentment as compared to blowing up a spectacular catch, the former always gets the more attention. The latter only appeals to Giants fans. But the former appeals to the world. Infact I dont think TO is as fucked up as the media makes him to be either. They both want to win, but TO thinks about himself, Shockey just wants his team to win and wants to be part of it. Giants fans should not be drawn into media propoganda and go the FAB4 way, because it is quite evident that Shockey is vital for this team's success and he will do everything he can and give his last drop of sweat and blood for his team to win. Would you rather go and practice in super-heat, totally suffering every minute during speed runs in deep sand in Miami, or do the regular 'involuntary' practice in NY? People say it like its a bad thing. These people are actually going there because they get in a monster workout and literally 'die' out there. Not because it is much less intensive than in NY. Read Peter King's article on why he feels Shockey going to Miami wont matter one bit. Ill get you a link if you cant find it.

I tried to find it in google, and I got nothing.. if you can I'll take the link

I think he should be gone hes not worth the negatives I know alot of people love him but I think its high time he hits the road. Ive said this for years and now his colors are really starting to show. remember last year when he stopped running for a fumble and eli had to jump on it to prevent a turnover. I hate that goddamned sunof abitch and I hope he gets hurt.

Yeah, please get rid of one of the top three tight ends in the league. Thats a fantastic idea. Then we should trade Eli and start Lorenzen. Get rid of Tiki while he still has value and start Mike Cloud if we can find him. Rediculous. :rolleyes:

Context people. He throws his helmet down the day after making a well-intentioned but boneheaded comment. All of a sudden he's created a media-circus around training camp, which was the last thing he intended to do. Then the next day he gets a mild concussion in practice, while he has this stupid distraction going on. It's a bad two days for the guy, and he naturally gets frustrated with himself to begin with.

I don't have any particular inside knowledge here, but from the look of things, this seems to be what's going on.