SportsWrath

Just traded Chacon for Craig Wilson!

Plow

I love Wilson...but where will he play?

idk i think this is the end of andy phillips.

the only game phillips has hit in was that 3 hit game he had the other day. But that was only because arod kissed him the night before.

Yanks obtain Wilson from Pirates

Club deals away Chacon to upgrade first-base situation

NEW YORK -- Last July, the Yankees acquired Shawn Chacon before the trade deadline to bolster their ailing rotation. On Monday, New York sent Chacon packing to the Pirates in exchange for Craig Wilson.

Wilson, 29, was hitting .267 with 13 home runs and 41 RBIs in 85 games for Pittsburgh this season. Wilson played 43 games at first base and 30 in right field, and he will likely step in at first base in place of Andy Phillips.

"He provides Joe with some flexibility," said general manager Brian Cashman. "There's some value there."

New York also optioned outfielder Aaron Guiel to Triple-A Columbus, opening a roster spot for Bobby Abreu, who was acquired on Sunday.

Chacon went 7-3 with a 2.85 ERA in 14 games (12 starts) for the Yankees last season, helping lead New York to an eighth consecutive American League East title. This year, Chacon was penciled in as the Yankees' fourth starter, but he went 4-3 with a 6.58 ERA in 11 starts before being yanked from the rotation.

In six relief outings, Chacon is 1-0 with a 9.00 ERA, making him 5-3 with a 7.00 ERA for the season. He had a memorable outing last Wednesday, escaping a no-outs, bases-loaded jam against Texas without allowing a run. Three days later, Chacon allowed five runs in 2 2/3 innings against Tampa Bay in what turned out to be his final appearance for the Yankees.

Wilson will share time with Andy Phillips at first base. Phillips has just four hits in his last 35 at-bats, lowering his average to .239.

"As we move forward right now, Andy Phillips is definitely a part of this team," Cashman said. "Joe Torre will have decisions to make on a daily basis in how he wants to attack his opponent."

Wilson plugs a hole if he can play defense. We'd catch up to Boston a little at 1b. I would rather have kept Chacon, though, and unloaded Ponson, even if we had to include Phillips in the trade.

Ditto, anyone who doesn't know how to wear his hat is a suspect player in my book.. Chacon always looked stupid.

This was a solid trade for us although I would have liked to see Phillips get more of a shot.

Ditto, anyone who doesn't know how to wear his hat is a suspect player in my book.. Chacon always looked stupid.

This was a solid trade for us although I would have liked to see Phillips get more of a shot.

I think Phillips had enough of a shot. I don't see much of an upside except if he can learn to hit junk and dig balls out of the dirt better.

As far as losing Chacon, I have a feeling we'll regret it. Stots was on TV the other day and said he thought Chacon had gotten away from throwing his slow curve. Something's wrong, because he was improving YOY until this season.