SportsWrath

New York Mets vs. Chicago Cubs---Series Game Thread

Blue Jeans

Probable Pitching Matchups

Monday, July 24 Shea Stadium | 7:10 PM ET

Greg Maddux, RHP (7-11, 4.56) @ Steve Trachsel, RHP (9-4, 4.68)

Scouting Report:

Maddux lost his sixth straight decision in his last start, a much-hyped rematch with Roger Clemens. Maddux was tagged with three runs on seven hits, including Craig Biggio's ninth home run leading off the game, over seven innings. After beginning the season 5-0 with a 1.35 ERA, Maddux is 2-11 with a 5.74 ERA since May 1.

Trachsel had his last start -- Wednesday against the Reds -- rudely interrupted by a two-hour, 23-minute rain delay. The veteran right-hander tried to come back after the long lay-off, but couldn't shake off the apparent rust. He allowed three runs on four hits and walked three batters in the first two innings after play resumed. He left leading 4-3, but did not factor in the decision in a game the Mets lost, 7-4. The former Cub beat his old team in his previous start, when he allowed two runs on three hits over six innings in a 6-3 Mets win. Trachsel is 2-3 with a 5.47 ERA in five career starts against Chicago.

Tuesday, July 25 Shea Stadium | 7:10 PM ET

Carlos Zambrano, RHP (10-3, 3.11) @ Tom Glavine, LHP (11-3, 3.52)

Scouting Report:

Zambrano has won seven straight decisions for the first time in his career. In his last start against the Astros, he gave up one run on two hits over eight innings while striking out 10. It was his 11th double-digit strikeout game, and third this year. He beat the Mets on July 15, holding them to two runs on three hits over six innings.

Glavine was uncharacteristically wild in his last start, Thursday against the Reds. He allowed nine hits and walked four batters -- yet only surrendered two runs -- over 6 1/3 innings, and left with the score tied 2-2. The Mets eventually won the game, 4-2, in 10 innings. The Cubs dealt Glavine his first loss in his last 14 outings a week ago Saturday, when he allowed three runs on four hits over five innings in a 9-2 loss.

Wednesday, July 26 Shea Stadium | 12:10 PM ET

Mark Prior, RHP (0-4, 8.14) @ John Maine, RHP (1-3, 3.12)

Scouting Report:

This will be Prior's sixth start, and second since coming off the DL for a second time. In his last outing against the Nationals, he gave up four runs on four hits and three walks over 3 1/3 innings. Prior's velocity was good, but his command was off. It's simply a matter of not pitching enough.

Maine has continued to progress with each start for the big league club this year. Pitching against an improved Astros lineup with newly acquired third baseman Aubrey Huff, the 25-year-old rookie limited the Astros to only five base runners, allowing just two of them to reach second base. The right-hander went the distance, needing only 98 pitches for his first career complete game in the Mets' 7-0 victory on July 21. In 26 innings this season, Maine has an excellent strikeout-to-walk ratio of 20-to-7.

Game 1 of 3 Begins Now.

Trachsel To Battle Maddux In Rematch

Chicago Cubs (37-60) at N.Y. Mets (59-39), 7:10 p.m. ET

Steve Trachsel's string of victories came to an end last week when the 35-year-old righty had to endure multiple rain delays in Cincinnati and took a no-decision in the Mets' 7-4 loss to the Reds on Wednesday. Trachsel pitched 3 1/3 innings and gave up six hits and three runs with four walks and two strikeouts.
But the performance was far different from when the 13-year veteran had won seven starts in a row prior to his loss. During that span, he lasted at least five innings in each of those wins and received quality run support as well. Before Wednesday's loss, the Mets had scored at least five runs in each of Trachsel's last 10 starts, with eight or more runs in five of those games.

Trachsel faced the Cubs earlier this month, on July 14 at Wrigley Field, and won, 6-3, while pitching six innings of three-hit ball. He allowed two runs, with two walks and one strikeout.

Trachsel has pulled a bit of a Houdini act this season, compiling a 9-4 record despite an unusual strikeout-to-walk ratio. So far, he has 49 strikeouts to 50 walks in 105 2/3 innings. He can thank his teammates, however. In his 19 starts, the Mets have scored 114 runs and have averaged more than 10 runs per game in his nine wins.

Cubs starter Greg Maddux, on the other hand, has had little run support in his starts. In the 40-year-old's 20 games this season, the Cubs have generated only 74 runs and have averaged less than six runs in his seven wins.

Maddux was the losing pitcher to Trachsel and the Mets on July 14. He gave up eight hits and six runs, five earned, with two walks and six strikeouts in seven innings.

The Cubs' offense is last in the National League in runs, doubles, RBIs and on-base percentage. They're second-to-last in home runs and slugging percentage and have been shut out 10 times, the most in the league.

Pitching Matchup
-CHC: Greg Maddux, RHP (7-11, 4.56)
Maddux has struck out 71 and walked 22 in 124 1/3 innings this season.
-NYM: Steve Trachsel, RHP (9-4, 4.68)
Trachsel is 2-3 with a 5.47 ERA and 13 strikeouts in five career starts against his former club.

Player to Watch
Carlos Delgado has hit a home run in three of the past four games, but he's never hit one in 18 plate appearances against Maddux.

Where?
-On television
• SNY
-On radio
• WFAN 660 AM

Nady drives in the Go-ahead run. 4-3 Mets... It's great to see the whole lineup clicking (Delgado and Floyd especially) If Reyes and Wright can get back in the groove of things we could be scoring 10 runs per game with this lineup.

Nice job Blue_Jeans.

I just heard a rumor from a someone who listens to ESPN radio that the Mets traded Heilman for Gil Meche. Don't quote me on this.

Who the fuck is Gil Meche?

edit: I checked his stats and they're pretty good... nice record, nice ERA... could only imagine what the numbers would be like with our offense.

But for some reason I like Heilman, it must be that complete game one hit shutout he threw last year.

Right now its the talk of the official Mets board... all calling each other retarded for saying it without a link.

I know, I cannot find a link anywhere. I did not see it over there. Just heard it from a friend.

I believe we have seen the last of Aaron... was he out of uniform today?

Yeah it is too bad. Well they have a week to package him in some deal so he can start all over again. It is really a shame. I felt bad for his bone head play last night.

Who the fuck is Gil Meche?

edit: I checked his stats and they're pretty good... nice record, nice ERA... could only imagine what the numbers would be like with our offense.

But for some reason I like Heilman, it must be that complete game one hit shutout he threw last year.

I've given up on Heilman. He looked good for parts of last year and early this season, but I wouldn't mind seeing him elsewhere, especially after that boneheaded play he made in Sunday's game.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game Two - Hopefully it turns out better than last night. Atleast I get to see the game on WGN - Chicago. Still don't know why I still get this channel and not SNY. :brooding:

metsblog

The Game...

The Mets (59-40) take on the Cubs (38-60) in the middle game of a three-game set this evening at Shea, starting at 7:10pm EDT...

The Pitchers...

LHP Tom Glavine (11-3, 3.52 ERA) toes the rubber for the Mets...Glavine pitched a solid game vs. the Reds last week, allowing 2 ER over 6.1 IP as part of a no-decision...Glavine took the loss against the Cubs on July 15th, allowing 3 ER over 5 IP...He is 0-1 with a 4.23 ERA in his last five starts...Glavine is 5-1 with a 2.56 ERA at home this season...Aramis Ramirez is 9-for-18 (.500) with 2 HR in his career vs. Glavine...

RHP Carlos Zambrano (10-3, 3.11 ERA) pitches for the Cubs...Zambrano is coming off a dominant start vs. the Astros last week where he allowed one earned run on two hits over eight innings while striking out ten...He won the previous matchup against Glavine on July 15th, allowing 2 ER over 6 IP while striking out seven...Zambrano has walked 76 batters in 139 IP this season...Zambrano is 1-1 with a 4.00 ERA in two career starts against the Mets, his only loss coming at Shea on Aug. 7, 2005, to Victor Zambrano...The current Mets roster is only hitting .209 against him...

The Numbers...

Jose Reyes has only five hits in his last 27 at-bats -- his last stolen base was last Wednesday against the Reds...

Michael Barrett is 7-for-14 with five runs, three doubles and three RBI against Mets pitching this season...

According to Elias Sports Bureau, for the month of July in runs scored per game, the Braves rank number one at 8.33 RPG, while the Mets place second at 6.15 RPG...

I'm not really thrilled with Heilman for Meche. We were reluctant to use him in bigger trades last year such as the Manny one, and now we are giving him up for a guy like Meche. He is good, but I don't think it's the best we can get in a deal we package Heilman in.