SportsWrath

Mets vs. Astros

jranieli

Metsblog.com

The Game…

The Mets (57–38) take on the Astros (46–50) for the start of a three-game set at Shea Stadium tonight…

The Pitchers…

RHP Orlando Hernandez (5–8, 5.52 ERA) starts for the Mets … Left-handed hitters are batting .318 against Hernandez … He has allowed five runs or more in four of his eight starts for the Mets, during which the team is 4–4 … In a start against Houston while pitching for the D’Backs earlier this season, Hernandez allowed six earned runs over six innings on six hits and four walks …

RHP Taylor Buchholz (607, 5.31 ERA) starts for the Astros … Buchholz, 25, is 3–1 with a 3.56 ERA in his last five starts … Since June 17, opponents are hitting .143 against Buchholz … No player on the Mets has ever faced Buchholz…

The Notes…

The Mets lead the National League with 57 wins…

The Mets are 10–5 in the first game of a home series…

The Mets lead the National League with 510 runs scored, while the Braves are second with 508…

The Mets are second in the majors with 78 first inning runs…

game currently in a rain delay.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game two of three game series.

The Game…

The Mets (58–38) take on the Astros (46–51) in the second of a three-game set at Shea Stadium this afternoon, starting at 1:20 pm EDT…

The Pitchers…

RHP Orlando Hernandez (5–8, 5.52 ERA) starts for the Mets...Originally scheduled to pitch last night, Willie Randolph shrewdly opted for John Maine to start instead...He struggled in his last outing against the Cubs, yielding five runs on seven hits and two walks in 1.2 IP....He has allowed five runs or more in four of his eight starts for the Mets, during which the team is 4–4...Left-handed hitters are batting .318 against Hernandez this season...In a start against Houston while pitching for the D’Backs earlier this season, Hernandez allowed six earned runs over six innings on six hits and four walks...

RHP Brandon Backe (1-0, 2.25 ERA) pitches for the Astros...He will be making his first start since April 13th...Backe was out with a sprained right elbow...Backe walked 13 batters in 20.1 innings in four rehab starts...Backe had a 1-0 record in two starts against the Mets last season -- both starts were at Shea...Carlos Delgado and Paul Lo Duca are the lone Mets with homeruns off Backe...Carlos Beltran is 3-for-7 against Backe...

The Numbers...

With last night's victory, the club improved to 20 games over .500 for the first time since the 2000 season...

The Mets have 12 homeruns in their last five games...

Last night's grand slam by Jose Valentin was his second this month -- the other came on July 8th against Florida in support of Mike Pelfrey...

The Astros have lost two straight and four out of five to fall five games under .500 for the first time this season...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game two of three game series.

I say we just start making Series threads now so we're not so cluttered and it will be more informative to read a whole thread on one team.

I'll make the thread for the next series after this series.

I say we just start making Series threads now so we're not so cluttered and it will be more informative to read a whole thread on one team.

I'll make the thread for the next series after this series.

Where the hell did plax go? I have not seen him on for days. Series threads sound like a good idea.

GateB is currently getting soaked.

:TD::TD:

The thing that killed me the most was David Wright having the day off. He had what, like one day off the entire season? I heard he gets a standing ovation almost every time he comes up, and I wanted toi be a part of it.

Overall, the game was boring actually. Except for Nady's homer, there wasn't much to speak of. There was this family on the other side of my row that was really funny. The kids kept on spilling chocolate ice cream on a Yankee fans shirt by accident (it was a nice one btw), and it was chocolate ice cream too, so it definitely stained. So the 8 year old shows his Dad and he smiles then whispers "shhh, it's a Yankee fan."

Even I wouldn't let my kids get away with that...

And the ironic thing was at the end of the game it started to pour as soon as we got in the car.

Oh yeah, since it was raining and things were looking bad for the game, I wanted to bring home my own build a bear workshop Mets bear. So as soon as I walk in I said "I want a bear." The guy goes to me, "How old are you." I said with a straight face "Goin' on 13 in September." The guy gave me a weird look, then with a glare handed me the bear.

I actually look a lot older then I am. I have a thick mustache, and hairier legs than a lot of teenagers (my friends want me to shave them but that's a separate issue, I'm not gonna). So he obviously didn't believe me.

But I have my bear, and it is sitting right next to me. :rock::rock:

Oh yeah, since it was raining and things were looking bad for the game, I wanted to bring home my own build a bear workshop Mets bear. So as soon as I walk in I said "I want a bear." The guy goes to me, "How old are you." I said with a straight face "Goin' on 13 in September." The guy gave me a weird look, then with a glare handed me the bear.

What gate?

Pelfrey vs. Oswalt today. I'm going to be the first one to call a fight today and empty dugouts.

Oswalt vs. Floyd !!! I wish Pedro was pitching this game. You just know he'd throw it tight to Oswalt when he came to bat for his history of beaning Floyd.

The Game...

The Mets (59-38) go for the sweep of the Astros (46-52) this afternoon at Shea, starting at 1:10 pm EDT...

The Pitchers...

RHP Mike Pelfrey (2-0, 3.27 ERA) pitches for the Mets...Pelfrey is coming off a decidedly stronger outing against the Reds on July 18th, where he allowed only 2 ER over 6 IP while striking out three...Pelfrey has walked seven batters in 11 IP...Pelfrey kept the ball on the ground in his last start, enabling 12 ground ball outs including two double play balls, as opposed to only two fly ball outs...In his first start, it was an even ratio -- six groundball outs to six flyball outs...This will be his first appearance against the Astros...

RHP Roy Oswalt (6-7, 3.22 ERA) takes the hill for the Astros...He is coming off a subpar outing vs. the Cubs where he allowed 4 ER in 5 IP as part of a 4-2 loss...He is 0-3 in his last five starts against the Mets...Oswalt has not won since June 14th...Righties are hitting .296 with 9 HR against Oswalt this season...Cliff Floyd is 6-for-16 in his career vs. Oswalt including two homeruns and two doubles...Floyd has been plunked two times in his last 12 at-bats vs. Oswalt...

The Numbers...

Since beginning the season 19-9, the Astros are 27-43...

No Mets pitcher ever has begun their Major League career by winning their first three starts -- Dick Selma (1965) Gary Gentry (1969) and Pelfrey are the only ones to have ever won two straight to begin their MLB careers in a Met uniform...

The Mets have won 11 out of their last 15 games...

Xavier Nady has 14 HR in only 244 at-bats -- his previous career high (13 HR) last season was in 326 at-bats...