SportsWrath

Premiere player.

Ditto

Being a Yankee fan, I’m sticking with Jeter, even though, despite his numbers, I feel he’s having an off year production wise.

I suppose a lot of people would pick Pujols, but he’s not for me. I would rather go with Beltran of the Mets, or V. Wells or Halliday of Toronto. Another consideration would be Manny. He’s a proven run producer, but I don’t think he can cover LF in Yankee stadium.

Who am I forgetting?

Give me a team with jeter and ichiro and you will have a tough time beating me.

Ichiro is amazing, such a pest, so fundamentaly sound, he's really in a league of his own. What other player even compares to what he can do.

Are you even considering age? You want not only a premiere perennial All Star but you want someone young who will keep up the production. Jeter is getting old, as are Manny and Ortiz. A-rod is still a viable choice, as is Beltran (though he is more of a complementary player as evidenced by his stats with and without Delgado in the lineup). In my opinion it's a no brainer for Pujols, but if not Pujols, it has to be either Cabrera or Wright with nods to young pitching studs such as Santana, Liriano, Peavy (usually), etc.

Are you even considering age? You want not only a premiere perennial All Star but you want someone young who will keep up the production. Jeter is getting old, as are Manny and Ortiz. A-rod is still a viable choice, as is Beltran (though he is more of a complementary player as evidenced by his stats with and without Delgado in the lineup). In my opinion it's a no brainer for Pujols, but if not Pujols, it has to be either Cabrera or Wright with nods to young pitching studs such as Santana, Liriano, Peavy (usually), etc.

I was basing it on what my team needs at the moment, 1st is locked up with Tex there, but we could def. use some high performing lefties who can pitch well consistantly.

I'd have to say Jeter. What other "superstar" willingly bunts runners over when the team needs it?

Oh, that's bullshit, the fact that Jeter bunts people over is because he's a complementary player and not a slugger who drives runs in. He bunts because Alex Rodriguez hits behind him, and as we all know, Alex Rodriguez is arguably the best player in all of baseball. Jeter is doing his job at the top of the order to help drive in runs, doesn't say crap about his character that he's "willingly" doing so.

Oh, that's bullshit, the fact that Jeter bunts people over is because he's a complementary player and not a slugger who drives runs in. He bunts because Alex Rodriguez hits behind him, and as we all know, Alex Rodriguez is arguably the best player in all of baseball. Jeter is doing his job at the top of the order to help drive in runs, doesn't say crap about his character that he's "willingly" doing so.

Look at Jeter's career stats. While I'm not suggesting he is a "slugger", his power numbers are down. Seems like he has "willingly" changed his role a little at the plate to better his team to me.

Look at Jeter's career stats. While I'm not suggesting he is a "slugger", his power numbers are down. Seems like he has "willingly" changed his role a little at the plate to better his team to me.

I think he has "willingly" tried to make more contact than hit the longball. If you look up groundball to flyball ratios, Jeter is leading the majors at 3.86 clip followed by Luis Castillo at 3.17 and Juan Pierre at 2.54. Jeter is able to utilize his plus speed. I do give him kudos for realizing that power isn't his game and aiming more toward becoming the good number 2 hitter he is, but it isn't exactly sacrificing the power, he's just finding new ways to help his team.

Guest StrahansGap

Bottom of the 9th, down 2, with bases loaded in a big game or not, there is only one player I want up at bat..............BIG PAPI! And this is coming from a die hard Yankee fan.

jeter is on pace for 13 homers, 106 rbi's, 36 sb's and a .355 BA

and he plays a gold glove type ss.

He's a God!

Gold glove SS...

I know you think that the sportswriters are being unfair saying he's not as solid defensively as people think, but even so, he's not gold glove quality. I'm not agreeing that he's the worst along with Michael Young, but he's not gold glove quality. Now Mr. Alex Gonzalez, ooh la la.

Gold glove SS...

I know you think that the sportswriters are being unfair saying he's not as solid defensively as people think, but even so, he's not gold glove quality. I'm not agreeing that he's the worst along with Michael Young, but he's not gold glove quality. Now Mr. Alex Gonzalez, ooh la la.

to cite a line from a famous movie... "great players make the basic plays everytime"

when was the last time u remember jeter's defense late in a game costing the yankees the game. Quite the opposite, rather his defense, if anything, gets better and he creates memorable moments from them.

Bottom of the 9th, down 2, with bases loaded in a big game or not, there is only one player I want up at bat..............BIG PAPI! And this is coming from a die hard Yankee fan.

Think of how many runs Jeter would score if he was hitting in front of Big Papi.

know you think that the sportswriters are being unfair saying he's not as solid defensively as people think, but even so, he's not gold glove quality. I'm not agreeing that he's the worst along with Michael Young, but he's not gold glove quality. Now Mr. Alex Gonzalez, ooh la la.

Rey Ordonez who couldn't hit a lick, will always be the best defensive short stop in

New York history.

Jeter is very good defensively, but for a long time, he wasn't even the best shortstop in his

division.

Although Jeter is as smooth as anything at short, Gonzalez is certainly the leading candidate for a gold glover.

20 minutes after I post this, he makes a fantastic play in the hole to get a crucial double play for the Sox.

Although Jeter is as smooth as anything at short, Gonzalez is certainly the leading candidate for a gold glover.

only problem is once a guy gets a gold glove it becomes very hard to take it from him. Let me give you an example why. A sports writer in Seattle or LA, who is he going to vote for? Jeter or Gonzalez? Is the guy out there even going to know who Alez Gonzalez is? His vote counts just as much as a guy in NY or Boston.

The leading candidate is always the guy who had it last year.