SportsWrath

Mets still playing second fiddle in New York

so-cal dub

The Mets may be No.1 in the standings, but the Yankees remain champs in the hearts of New Yorkers, a new poll has found.

Almost half of those surveyed - 49% - say they are Yankees fans, with 42% considering themselves Mets fans, the Quinnipiac University poll found.

And more New Yorkers would want the Yankees to win in a Subway Series between the two teams, 46% to 37%, the poll of 1,041 New York City voters found.

"The Mets can win in the ninth inning day after day after day, but they can't win the Quinnipiac poll," said polling institute director Maurice Carroll. "It's still a Yankees town, has been for years. Maybe it's [Derek] Jeter, maybe it's [Joe] Torre, maybe it's the fact that they win year after year."

Die-hard Mets fan Rebecca Burkett, 25, of Manhattan, concedes the Yankees are still the more popular team, but said that is changing and the Mets are by far the more exciting team.

"The Mets fans have always been there, but there's only so much harassment you can take from Yankee fans," said Burkett, a teacher who has named her two cats after Mets players. "Now that the Mets are amazing, we're able to wear the Mets gear in mixed company. We've got young talent; they've got old talent."

As of yesterday afternoon the Mets, with a 55-37 record, had a commanding 11-1/2-game lead in the National League East, while the Yankees (53-36) were a half game behind the Red Sox in the American League East.

It did not mention anywhere where the Giants are the second most favorite team squeezed between Yankees and Mets. Back to this article. I would figure there would be a majority of Yankee fans over Mets. I did not think it would be that close. I wonder if there is a margin of error. :rolleyes:

It did not mention anywhere where the Giants are the second most favorite team squeezed between Yankees and Mets. Back to this article. I would figure there would be a majority of Yankee fans over Mets. I did not think it would be that close. I wonder if there is a margin of error. :rolleyes:

Alot of the elderly Yank fans from the glory days are dropping off. Leading to a newer generation of Mets fans. I'm sure in another 10 years the Mets will either be favorites or tied.

Alot of the elderly Yank fans from the glory days are dropping off. Leading to a newer generation of Mets fans. I'm sure in another 10 years the Mets will either be favorites or tied.

how about back in the 80's when the Mets had better attendance than the Yankees? I don't really think it matters. A lot of fans were hiding anyway, just like how the Mets fans are comming out of it. It happens. There are probably more Yankee around the world than any other team, well maybe in baseball countries. Know what I mean? Now how long is it going to take til the Islander fans come out of hiding. :lol:

49% to 42% is really not that big of a difference. You might poll another 1000 people and get the exact opposite result, although I'd say those numbers are probably pretty accurate. Of course there are more Yankee fans, everyone knows that, but I wouldn't call it a Yankee town. It's a baseball town, and there is much love for both teams. And I'm sure if the Mets have had success for the last decade and the Yankees were struggling, the results would be different. I read in today's Daily News that the same poll was taken on Opening Day 2005 and respondents were 35% in favor of the Mets. That means that polls are really that random and the results can vary that much, or fans are really that fickle depending on team success.

hmm... that's strange.. last time I checked, the Yanks only have a .5 game lead in the Wild Card race against the White Sox... even if you guys mad the playoffs you'd have to start every series on the road and you guys have a 28-22 road record... and the teams you'd be playing Detroit (33-17) at home, Red Sox (32-13) at home... oh yeah, watch out for the Twins... they are right on your heels and are 9-1 in thier last 10... and are a half game behind you for the Wild Card just like the White Sox...

While the Mets have a 1 and a half game lead in the whole NL... and a 11 game lead in the East... and you can say all you want about our "weak" NL, even when we are in the WS I'm sure you'll still use that excuse, but it won't matter, cause we are the only NL team that could beat a team like the Tigers, or the White Sox, or even the Red Sox if we got the series started in NY... shit I'd like to play the Red Sox again in the WS, it would make me feel like it's 1986.

You see alot more Mets fans if they continue to play this well, New Yorkers are badwagon hoppers.

yes they are... see how many Jet fans came from nowhere when Pennington brought them to the playoffs