SportsWrath

Yankees sign Sidney Ponson

TheShocker

isn't he a knight in aruba or prince or something.

Sir Sidney Ponson!

also wasn't he in trouble for doing something illegal!

Oh well all is well when you're a yank!

isn't he a knight in aruba or prince or something.

Sir Sidney Ponson!

also wasn't he in trouble for doing something illegal!

Oh well all is well when you're a yank!

After the 2003 season, he was made a knight by Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands. (Aruba is a colony of the Netherlands.) This has earned him the nickname "Sir Sidney." (from wikipedia)

On December 25, 2004, Ponson was arrested in Aruba and charged with assaulting an Aruban judge following an incident about a complaint of Ponson's handling of his powerboat. He spent 11 days in jail, but the charges were dropped after he reached a settlement that included restitution, community service and contributions to local charities on the island. In January 2005, he was charged with driving under the influence in Broward County, Florida. Because of these activities, it was thought that he would not be able to enter Canada to pitch in a series against the Toronto Blue Jays in May 2005. However, a visa was later granted, and he was able to make his scheduled start. (from wikipedia)

well...all he needs to do is pitch well. hopefully he can do SOMETHING

Except for this year, Chacon has been improving yoy, but even if the Yankee brass can’t figure out what’s wrong with him, there has to be another option than Ponson. I mean, Jeff Weaver took his spot on the Card’s roster. Doesn’t that say something?

The Yankees are reluctant to push Hughes. I don’t understand it, but what about trying Proctor in a starter roll? Can he do worst than a tried and true 500 pitcher like Ponson?

This is what we need. I guy who gets signed to a good contract, pitches 5 innings a game, and gives up 7 runs usually. good job cashman!

O wait, we have Jaret Wright already :doh:

Wright owns.....except for the start against the Mets he has pitched fine for a #5......and who knows..people said the same of Chacon last year and he was huge for us. Never can under-estimate a location change. We didn't give up anything, I'm certainly willing to take a chance.