SportsWrath

Players who recieved the tags

Pizan

The following is the list of all the players designated as franchise or transition players leading up to Thursday's deadline (4 ET).

Franchise players must be offered the average of the top five salaries at their position or 20 percent over their 2005 salary. Franchise players (unless they are exclusive) can negotiate with other teams, but any team signing a franchise player would have to compensate the players' former team with a pair of first-round draft choices if the offer is not matched. If a player is named an "exclusive franchise" player, they can't talk to any other teams.

Transition players must be offered the average of the top 10 salaries at their position for the club to maintain rights of first refusal. There is no draft-pick compensation if a transition player ends up signing with another team.

Here are players that have been listed as franchise or transition players for 2006:

2006 franchise and transition players

Team Player Designation Tender

N.Y. Jets DE John Abraham Franchise $8.332 million

Detroit OT Jeff Backus Franchise $6.983 million

Buffalo CB Nate Clements Franchise $5.893 million

Seattle OG Steve Hutchinson Transition $6.391 million

Minnesota CB Brian Williams Transition $4.774 million

Panthers RB Deshaun Foster Transition $5.13 million

Edited by Pizan

Im a bit surprised Foster got the Transition tag. The Panthers could have easily improved there RB situation with a FA or with their first round pick. Foster cant stay healthy and talent wise im still not even sure he is worth the 5 million.

Im a bit surprised Foster got the Transition tag. The Panthers could have easily improved there RB situation with a FA or with their first round pick. Foster cant stay healthy and talent wise im still not even sure he is worth the 5 million.

Yeah Me too, There are a lot of good RB's in this draft...Maybe they want to tag him so they can trade him latter...I heard from non-reliable sorces that the jets are planning to do the same with Abraham...Sign and trade...By the way when was the last time the Giants Taged a player :confused:

I didn't find the Foster signing at all shocking. The Panthers drafted Eric Shelton a year ago but after spending the better part of the year on IR they still don't know what they have in him. It's safe to say he's not in a position to assume the starting gig this season. Nick Goings, when asked to, has actually filled in quite well for Carolina. As for the free agent market, despite the murmurs of Shaun Alexander going to Carolina, it was never really a realistic scenario. Carolina will struggle to re-sign some of their own FA's like Witherspoon. They simply didn't have the coin to land a big fish like Alexander. Yes there are health risks with Foster but Carolina is playing it safe ... if Foster underachieves they're only paying him for this season and then they can let him walk. If he has a blockbuster season he's a bargain at 5 mill/year. I think it was a solid move going with the transition tag. I also don't think, that in a glutted free agent RB class that a team will offer up more money to Foster than what the Panthers will pay this season.

• 2 weeks later...

i dont c y every1 dislikes foster. he is a straight up beast. davis ges down- foster shows he can play. theo nly reason he strggled in the beginning is b/c the line was used to davis's running type- plow. davis is more of a cutback runner, and the line had to adjust to it. foster will b amazing this year.

i dont c y every1 dislikes foster. he is a straight up beast. davis ges down- foster shows he can play. theo nly reason he strggled in the beginning is b/c the line was used to davis's running type- plow. davis is more of a cutback runner, and the line had to adjust to it. foster will b amazing this year.

After about 10 mins trying to decipher this I think I know what you were trying to say. My response...

Out of a possible 64 games Foster has only played in 33 of them. Foster has only started 10. In 4 seasons Foster has never finished a complete 16 games.

Fosters career average of 4.1. Fosters career rushing TDs 4, Foster has more fumbles with 5.

Now referring back to my original post I never said I dislike Foster or he isnt worth a contract. I simply stated I didnt think he has proved to be a 5 mil a year type back. He cant stay healthy and he doesnt have the stats to back up a 5 mil a year type contract. Regardless of whether or not the oline adjusted... the stats or games arent there.