SportsWrath

So Sexy

gmenroc

2 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

unpopular opinion: Gettleman was closer to average than awful.

I'm not going to die on that hill, but I do think he left the roster slightly better in 2021 than the roster he inherited in 2018. That team was virtually devoid of talent. You had ancient Eli, shit brained Beckham, and 51 polished turds. 

He's between awful and average.

He was a bad GM, considering our line of GMs the last 20 some odd years. 

Gettleman was a brainless hack. When you are picking in the top 10 of the best players from college - its not difficult to hit more often than miss - and yet, he did miss on Eli Apple, Ereck Flowers etc etc. As a GM what he needed to was right the roster which he totally failed to do. His off-season moves were shit, his FA singing was shit, his choice of coaches and staff was shit, the conditioning guy was shit - so basically he was 90% shit who hit on a few stars in the top 10 where its equivalent to hitting the side of a barn.

4 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

Gettleman was a brainless hack. When you are picking in the top 10 of the best players from college - its not difficult to hit more often than miss - and yet, he did miss on Eli Apple, Ereck Flowers etc etc. As a GM what he needed to was right the roster which he totally failed to do. His off-season moves were shit, his FA singing was shit, his choice of coaches and staff was shit, the conditioning guy was shit - so basically he was 90% shit who hit on a few stars in the top 10 where its equivalent to hitting the side of a barn.

Those were Reese picks. 

Gettleman wasn't a stupid GM overall. . The problem was that towards the end of his tenure, he was more concerned with thinking he was the smartest guy in the room as opposed to working to make the club better. He wouldn't move with modern times. His early round draft picks were fine, but as was said earlier, when you are picking in the top ten you should hit most of the time. The later rounds on the other hand were a dud, hopeless and it led to our depth problems.  He never fixed the offensive line, again more interested in telling the press he knew more than they did with his special project linemen. 

I was on board with him at the start but tired of him. They should have dumped him the same year they dumped Shurmur and maybe then we could have started this project 2 years ago and not have to go through the Judge mess.

27 minutes ago, boohyah said:

Gettleman wasn't a stupid GM overall. . The problem was that towards the end of his tenure, he was more concerned with thinking he was the smartest guy in the room as opposed to working to make the club better. He wouldn't move with modern times. His early round draft picks were fine, but as was said earlier, when you are picking in the top ten you should hit most of the time. The later rounds on the other hand were a dud, hopeless and it led to our depth problems.  He never fixed the offensive line, again more interested in telling the press he knew more than they did with his special project linemen. 

I was on board with him at the start but tired of him. They should have dumped him the same year they dumped Shurmur and maybe then we could have started this project 2 years ago and not have to go through the Judge mess.

Hindsight is 20/20.  I think most of us think DG was fine at first and not a bad hire.  I'd go so far as to say most of us liked Judge too for a bit...until he started manufacturing blame where it wasn't instead of simply accepting criticism and fixing it.

Initial hires weren't terrible...but failed to live up to their billing.  Biggest issue was reluctancy to change from an organization standpoint and failing to admit mistakes.

Nothing wrong with ownership coming out and saying we like what we did, but it isn't working out...but Giants are loyal to a fault and it showed.

On 5/6/2023 at 8:05 AM, CrazedDogs said:

Those were Reese picks. 

I think in a nutshell, the problem with Gettleman is that the team had literally the most draft capital in the NFL during his tenure but the rosters were still awful.

46 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

I think in a nutshell, the problem with Gettleman is that the team had literally the most draft capital in the NFL during his tenure but the rosters were still awful.

Along same lines...I think one of the most telling stats is how many of your picks are still on your team after 3 years

2 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I understand that way of thinking, but generally teams that have a lot of draft capital tend to have awful rosters after year. A high draft pick, or any draft pick really, has to be so damn good to make a meaningful difference on their own. 

I don't really blame Gettleman at all, I think the things that went wrong during his tenure, and the latter half of Reese's tenure too, were more about fanboi leadership from the Mara family.

His very first move was to sign a two years washed rb on day 1 of free agency.  I still think he was a bad gm, but I’ve been softening up on him a little bit and feel obligated to give him credit for identifying and drafting some big time cornerstones

Getty also partially sold or bought into the notion of "We can make one last run with Eli." That never materialized.

Then, he had to turn over the roster and do a rebuild....but insisted on doing a rebuild with an OL with holes all over it, minus Andrew Thomas.

2 minutes ago, Herc said:

His very first move was to sign a two years washed rb on day 1 of free agency.  I still think he was a bad gm, but I’ve been softening up on him a little bit and feel obligated to give him credit for identifying and drafting some big time cornerstones

Yeah for every good move Gentleman made, he made like three bad moves.

What’s more important?  A bad free agent signing, or getting the qb of the future and the best left tackle in football to protect him?  Along with the best IDL since Aaron Donald.

like I said, he was good at parts of his job and bad at other parts. 

Dude drafted about four good players in 4 drafts, and had 6 first round picks over that time. Admittedly two are really good, but that's just not acceptable. I'm not sure where this new Getty love is coming from.

23 hours ago, boohyah said:

He was George Young without the two Super Bowl rings...