SportsWrath

Thirteen NFL teams have never had a Black coach. Here’s one franchise’s story.

jranieli

Good read.

Made me laugh that the main writer was a white guy with a black woman as assistant writer though lol 

Coaches are an old boys club and always have been, not saying that it will always be that way, but when old white billionaires who won't change rule the majority of the NFL you'll keep seeing this. Coaches getting hired based off the recommendations or personal biases,don't know if you can ever root out the bias problem, but you see the same retread at coach hire after hire cycle.  

2 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Good read.

Made me laugh that the main writer was a white guy with a black woman as assistant writer though lol 

Coaches are an old boys club and always have been, not saying that it will always be that way, but when old white billionaires who won't change rule the majority of the NFL you'll keep seeing this. Coaches getting hired based off the recommendations or personal biases,don't know if you can ever root out the bias problem, but you see the same retread at coach hire after hire cycle.  

same “special needs person” at coach hire after hire cycle.    

It is definitely strange, but I'll note that this team let Jerry Reese run the franchise into the ground for 13 years. Is that mentioned in the article? 

Minorities of Sportswrath, what is your verdict? I've always seen the Giants as one of the more progressive franchises but my perspective is from a middle-aged white guy. 

On one hand, this is an issue we should be talking about more. Not just in the league, but because it’s emblematic of society at large.

On the other, I intensely dislike this sort of by implication reporting. Absolutely call out people who do shitty, racist things. Name fucking names. Show us results of large, longitudinal studies. I can do without most of this mild anecdotal stuff from guys who didn’t get the job. 

3 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

It is definitely strange, but I'll note that this team let Jerry Reese run the franchise into the ground for 13 years. Is that mentioned in the article? 

Minorities of Sportswrath, what is your verdict? I've always seen the Giants as one of the more progressive franchises but my perspective is from a middle-aged white guy. 

It is mentioned that Reese was the GM.

Marc Ross and Hue Jackson were also interviewed. You may have noticed  that Ross, if you saw him on NFL Network after being let go, seems visibly bitter about not getting the nod at GM.

I think habits and comfortability are not outwardly racist but do contribute to the decisions on who to hire.  It's bias.  And I am not overly against bias...because if you want to hire a worse coach because of skin color, you are only devaluing the product you ultimately own and creating problems for yourself.

For the record, I don't think teams are going to hire a worse coach just cause they're white.

So for me, really the discussion falls to the equally qualified white vs. black coach.  And if they're equally qualified, then race doesn't really matter, right?

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

On one hand, this is an issue we should be talking about more. Not just in the league, but because it’s emblematic of society at large.

On the other, I intensely dislike this sort of by implication reporting. Absolutely call out people who do shitty, racist things. Name fucking names. Show us results of large, longitudinal studies. I can do without most of this mild anecdotal stuff from guys who didn’t get the job. 

It is mentioned that Reese was the GM.

Marc Ross and Hue Jackson were also interviewed. You may have noticed  that Ross, if you saw him on NFL Network after being let go, seems visibly bitter about not getting the nod at GM.

I believe Ross was the one calling the Giants a racist organization for passing on Haskins for Jones. 

Black men represent like 6-7% of the population. I see no reason for them to represented every NFL team as a head coach. Hiring based on skin color is about the most ass backward thing society can do. 

They have already forced all teams to interview a token black guy, as if that isn’t insulting enough. Lots of teams have hired black coaches. Bet your ass it wasn’t cause they felt obligated. It was because they felt those men were the best men for the job. Like it should be. 

I don’t it’s as black and white as some would portray it.   There are only a handful of jobs (32 to be exact) and the competition is very stiff.   Believe or not, a lot of hiring decisions may come down to “gut feeling” ( which a bullshit indicator).    The reality we have to accept is that bias plays a huge part in the decisions we make (quite subconsciously).