SportsWrath

Schoens presser

BlueInCanada

https://www.giants.com/news/joe-schoen-general-manager-brian-daboll-nfl-trade-deadline-kadarius-toney-2022

Surprised it hasnt been posted or talked about on here yet.

Biggest take aways;

No problem with moving on from Toney, talked to captains and people within the organization, all are focused on winning.

If they are going to extend anyone it will be during the bye, expects to be in talks with Jones/Barkleys camps, among other "core players"

Want's to keep Barkley for a long time as a Giant, play maker and leader of the team, would make sense with how they valued RBs in Buffalo.

Who would we extend during the BYE?

The Jury is still out on DJ and Barkley (can't re-sign Barkley to anything big at this point, without any confirmation that he can play more than 15 games).

I'd be aligned with extending Lawrence and Love. I like Adoree Jackson too, so if we want to re-sign him I'm good there. Fabian Moreau if we can get him cheap.

Like we have said I think already...everyone has a price point.  Barkley has earned a contract...maybe an upper level RB deal...but understanding injury and offensive line considerations. 

As for DJ...we likely have played out of a top tier qb in the 23 draft already.  Means DJ is probably best guy for 23.  But it needs to be clear that he isn't the reason we have won and he isn't the reason we lost.  He should be paid in the 10-20 range of qbs...hopefully on the lower, shorter term side of that

20 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Who would we extend during the BYE?

The Jury is still out on DJ and Barkley (can't re-sign Barkley to anything big at this point, without any confirmation that he can play more than 15 games).

I'd be aligned with extending Lawrence and Love. I like Adoree Jackson too, so if we want to re-sign him I'm good there. Fabian Moreau if we can get him cheap.

If they extended anyone now, I think you’re right about Jackson and Love.   

I don’t think they’d extend Moreau so soon, just him being on the team only this season I think works against that.

Edit:  Dex being under contract next year I think buys them time. 

2 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I think at this point I'm ok with a DJ contract if it was of the Colin Kaepernick variety from San Francisco... incentive laden, with zero percent guaranteed and an easy out. 

DJ still needs to sign it tho and we'll see if he is insulted by the offer and wanting to hit FA.  He just might play that card.  Even if he signs with us in FA...it would likely be for more barring injury or complete dropoff in play.

All whether he wants to gamble on himself.

Agree that it is a good time to have conversation, but tough to gauge where Giants are going to come in

6 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I think at this point I'm ok with a DJ contract if it was of the Colin Kaepernick variety from San Francisco... incentive laden, with zero percent guaranteed and an easy out. 

Not often do I find myself in disagreement with you, Seph.

I’m not saying DJ is the next Josh Allen but he sure isn’t Dave Brown either.   

Remember, there are many teams in the NFL that would love to sign him.  I see a kid playing his heart out and winning us games with no WRs… 

1 hour ago, Nas said:

Remember, there are many teams in the NFL that would love to sign him.  I see a kid playing his heart out and winning us games with no WRs… 

I have to disagree. Where are these NFL teams that would love to sign him? His reputation is that he has potential, can run, but has been a turnover machine until 8 games this season. True he's had shitty coaching, but there is nothing that points to anyone loving to sign him. 

In actual fact, we are in a conundrum with him. This would have to turn into a McAdoo type of season for us to get a top QB in the next couple of drafts. Daboll getting us to the playoffs in year 1, and then us sucking it up so we get a shot at a top 10 QB. Or, being consistently good and trading away draft capital to get us into the top 10. Gonna be an interesting next couple of seasons. Best case is for us to franchise him and hope for the best in '23 and maybe '24. 

1 hour ago, BronxRik said:

I have to disagree. Where are these NFL teams that would love to sign him? His reputation is that he has potential, can run, but has been a turnover machine until 8 games this season. True he's had shitty coaching, but there is nothing that points to anyone loving to sign him. 

In actual fact, we are in a conundrum with him. This would have to turn into a McAdoo type of season for us to get a top QB in the next couple of drafts. Daboll getting us to the playoffs in year 1, and then us sucking it up so we get a shot at a top 10 QB. Or, being consistently good and trading away draft capital to get us into the top 10. Gonna be an interesting next couple of seasons. Best case is for us to franchise him and hope for the best in '23 and maybe '24. 

They have to make a decision at the position in the off season. They can't sign guys to one year deals to see if they keep up the good play. I don't think they are going to sign him and if they don't then draft or pick up his successor and keep Tyrod there to transitiion if needed. Jones is in a bad spot here, but it is what it is. And he needs to continue to show he can play because there are going to be several teams looking for qb's this offseason.

2 hours ago, BronxRik said:

The kid has had a shitty offensive line (better this season but still work in progress) and no real receivers out there.   This team has 41 problems snd the QB is number 39.

16 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

good take. And good comparison too, very similar players. Kaepernick had a little more arm, Jones has a little more touch. Similar movement skills, Jones more top end speed, Kaepernick probably a little quicker. Both are book-smart guys (although people don't recognize that about Kaepernick, gee, wonder why) that aren't known for thinking quickly on the field. 

either way, it isn't a franchise-killer if he doesn't progress. 

6 hours ago, Nas said:

The kid has had a shitty offensive line (better this season but still work in progress) and no real receivers out there.   This team has 41 problems snd the QB is number 39.

the scary thing is he's an average QB, yet still clearly one of the better players on the team. 

Jones can be had though. Flood the underneath, play zone with eyes to the backfield. There will be open receivers deep, even with our scrubs, but Jones won't pull the trigger. 

That was how the Seattle D got it done this week. 

Now we'll see copy cat Ds, and whether or not Jones can learn/adjust....

9 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

either way, it isn't a franchise-killer if he doesn't progress. 

the scary thing is he's an average QB, yet still clearly one of the better players on the team. 

Jones can be had though. Flood the underneath, play zone with eyes to the backfield. There will be open receivers deep, even with our scrubs, but Jones won't pull the trigger. 

That was how the Seattle D got it done this week. 

Now we'll see copy cat Ds, and whether or not Jones can learn/adjust....

Yeah you can’t judge(and compensate) someone just based on how good they are in comparison to the rest of the roster. 

12 hours ago, Nas said:

I hear you man, and I'm not saying that Jones might not end up being a very good QB.   It's year four and we still don't know if he's any good or not because he's had like... zero good players around him.  I HOPE he ends up being a top-end QB, but I don't think you throw your money at hope, you throw it at known quantities.  Jones isn't that yet, and I wouldn't give him a big contract until he shows it for real. 

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

I hear you man, and I'm not saying that Jones might not end up being a very good QB.   It's year four and we still don't know if he's any good or not because he's had like... zero good players around him.  I HOPE he ends up being a top-end QB, but I don't think you throw your money at hope, you throw it at known quantities.  Jones isn't that yet, and I wouldn't give him a big contract until he shows it for real. 

Agreed and think he and his agent will agree to a reasonable (a bit on the top end of reasonable) contract.   I don’t see teams throwing a whole lot more at him and the “more” would probably not be enough to move him from the Giants; a team heading in the right direction will a good FO/Coaching combination.

On 11/4/2022 at 6:46 AM, CrazedDogs said:

good take. And good comparison too, very similar players. Kaepernick had a little more arm, Jones has a little more touch. Similar movement skills, Jones more top end speed, Kaepernick probably a little quicker. Both are book-smart guys (although people don't recognize that about Kaepernick, gee, wonder why) that aren't known for thinking quickly on the field. 

Watch Kaepernick's Netflix special if you have not already had bro

It humanizes Kaepernick big time

On 11/4/2022 at 8:58 AM, Sephiroth said:

Reinforce breakthroughs and retreat from areas where you are losing