SportsWrath

Do we make a move?

Virginia Giant

The Giants are clearly over performing expectations, but I think at 6-1 you have to think about the playoffs and what we need to get there. Especially considering the best team in the conference is in our division so we’re probably playing for a wild card spot. 

Do we make a move for a receiver at the trade deadline?  It seems silly to think about while trying to rebuild for the future, but how do you do nothing with a 6-1 start. Or after Sunday potentially 7-1, but even 6-2 would be playoff contenders. 

56 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

No dough. 

On the plus side, Nick Gates, Matt Peart, Ellerson Smith, and Rodarius Williams all returned to practice today. 

It's funny to think, with how well the team has been playing I wasn't worried at all about Peart, Gates, Williams, etc being out.

But getting them back will be a big boost.  

Hopefully Gates can bounce back.

2 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

No dough. 

On the plus side, Nick Gates, Matt Peart, Ellerson Smith, and Rodarius Williams all returned to practice today. 

I'm with VG on this.   You can always make cap room.   The thought crossed my mind a few days ago but then I was reminded we have Gollady and Toney who hopefully can get off their period and start playing like professionals... but reality hits... they've already shown their professionalism.    

24 minutes ago, JayD said:

I think you can throw out the rebuilding for the future crap. The future is now. 

Agreed...particularly because the cap space isn't going to get significantly better next year and its going to be an off season when a lot of guys that have been key in this turn around are going to be up for new contracts and be looking to get paid. The Giants won't be able to sign them all....and they they will go into a season when they will get a exponentially tougher schedule then they have this year because of this years performance (thus far).

C. Wagon

6 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Agreed...particularly because the cap space isn't going to get significantly better next year and its going to be an off season when a lot of guys that have been key in this turn around are going to be up for new contracts and be looking to get paid. The Giants won't be able to sign them all....and they they will go into a season when they will get a exponentially tougher schedule then they have this year because of this years performance (thus far).

C. Wagon

So make next year even worse by trading away draft capitol and loading up on another contract because the Giants might get into the playoffs? 

Ok then.

4 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

So make next year even worse by trading away draft capitol and loading up on another contract because the Giants might get into the playoffs? 

Ok then.

And possibly win the super bowl?  Yes Please!!!   

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

I think the salary cap makes the choice for us. The only kind of guy that makes sense is young, rookie contract. And if they’re any good, teams don’t let those guys go.

Or a guy in a bad situation or on a bad team who would be well served to relocate.  Claypool is an interesting guy in that respect...I would send a 5th for him...but don't know what his contract or years in the league look like.

9 hours ago, The P said:

I doubt it. 

7 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

With the cap situation I don't think we have the room for a starter. 

I think the Giants just let the season ride and see what happens at end of year.

Either way it's will be deemed a big surprise/success season. 

5 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

No dough. 

Just ride with it

This season is gravy

I thought next year we were supposed have, like, a billion dollars in cap room? 

Anyway, no. No trades. Sit tight and build through the draft. Obviously Daboll has a talent for milking talent. Why try and force someone with habits into our system? This is what's gone wrong for Denver. You make this massive move for Wilson, who has a certain talent, and you try to squeeze him into your system instead of adjusting your system to fit his talent. Fuck all that bullshit and just start fresh. 

I still think Toney and Golladay have a come to Jesus moment and decide to remove the tampons and start playing up to expectations… That or trade one of them for another disgruntled WR from another team.

3 hours ago, BronxRik said:

I thought next year we were supposed have, like, a billion dollars in cap room? 

Anyway, no. No trades. Sit tight and build through the draft. Obviously Daboll has a talent for milking talent. Why try and force someone with habits into our system? This is what's gone wrong for Denver. You make this massive move for Wilson, who has a certain talent, and you try to squeeze him into your system instead of adjusting your system to fit his talent. Fuck all that bullshit and just start fresh. 

Next year - we will be having close to 69mn in cap room - 4th in the League. Some of that will also go into Saquon and DJ's contract I feel.

8 hours ago, Virginia Giant said:

Based on recent trades, the price for good talent is pretty cheap. Hankins for a 7th. Quinn for a 5th. If they can make cap space, it’sa good time to be a buyer. 

To be fair both of those guys are playing awful and have large(er) cap hits.

Older too.  

I keep waiting for jeudy to actually do something after all these years of being regarded as a young star but if the price is right then his age, cap number, play style and years of control are all a good fit.  He’s more likely to be better than whoever we’d draft in a late round.  

This is probably the angry fantasy player in me talking but I think claypool is a total dog.  I read some anonymous exec say he’s “not a good culture fit” and that seems like red flags.  

These unexpected wins are great, but the plan in year 1 was to tear down and evaluate.  Not sure how much of the future they want to trade away until they know they want to resign Jones and Barkley.  2 months ago schoen was probably expecting to get phone calls about the latter.  I think they sit tight.

Carl Banks was talking about this yesterday...    He compared it to when he joined the team in 84 as a rebuilding year where they made the playoffs and then built themselves to a superbowl in 2 years.    

Having Galladay eating up all that money sitting on the bench is fucking killing us.  Really makes it very difficult to make any moves, or at least ones of value.

Personally I agree with the idea of any success this year is just gravy...  came into the season expecting a rebuild, stick to the plan.   Get this team right, and set on a path to success for the next 10 years, not just 10 weeks.

20 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Ok then.

Next year ..and the year after...are going to be worse anyway. It is going to be down to the studs rebuild. 

I am with G...keep with the play. But damn Blue....it is tempting given how long we have been in the desert...I fr one am fucking thirsty.

C. Wagon