SportsWrath

If things continue, would you:

mastershake

Barkley, 4 years $60M (structured so his 2022 cap hit is only $12M, and year 4 we'd likely cut him to save $10-$15M in cap space), so it's more like a 3 year $45M contract.

Daniel Jones, 3 years, $54M (2022 cap hit of $14M).

Assuming we cut Golladay, even after these two potential contracts, we'd still have nearly $30M in cap space.

1 hour ago, Herc said:

I don’t want to give that cap hit to any running back who ever lived.  Jones for that price sure

Cap hits of around $12-16M over the next 3 years are relatively light for an RB. It's not like he's raking in $25-30M like some of the top tier receivers or defenders. Derrick Henry for instance got what I think is a very reasonable 4 years $48M. This wouldn't be breaking the bank. This is a player though who, if all works out, produces like half your offensive output, and has no suitable replacement.

Honestly if we win 10-11 games, and make the playoffs I'm going to assume two thing 1) The defense continues to carry the team 2) Barkley continues to be the only play maker on the team.

Cut: Golladay/Williams

First priory over Barkley/Jones

Extend contracts of the 2020 draft.

Dexter Lawrence 6 year, 81 million dollar contract. We cant let him leave, he's arguably a top 5 DT in the NFL. Sure we could pick up his fifth year option but he'll get a payday elsewhere the year after, or the year after the franchise tag.

Xavier McKinney 4 year, 36 million. Has no pickup option in his contract, another one we dont want to let hit FA because he'll get , pay him when you have the cap to do so.

Andrew Thomas 5 year record breaking contract extension, anywhere from 20-22 a year. He's the best tackle in the NFL, another one we cant let hit FA, extend him now. 

After that Barkley and Jones

Jones: 2 year, 26 million. Still a prove it deal but provides stability, i wouldn't sign him to anything longer than two years.

Barkley 4 year 44 million. Simply put would put him in the top 5 of RB contracts, but structure it for the first two year to have the majority of cap hit. However he's also a FA and I can see some team throwing a big old contract at him.

But yeah extend the 2020 draft, then go after Jones and Barkley IMO.

2 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Honestly if we win 10-11 games, and make the playoffs I'm going to assume two thing 1) The defense continues to carry the team 2) Barkley continues to be the only play maker on the team.

Cut: Golladay/Williams

First priory over Barkley/Jones

Extend contracts of the 2020 draft.

Dexter Lawrence 6 year, 81 million dollar contract. We cant let him leave, he's arguably a top 5 DT in the NFL. Sure we could pick up his fifth year option but he'll get a payday elsewhere the year after, or the year after the franchise tag.

Xavier McKinney 4 year, 36 million. Has no pickup option in his contract, another one we dont want to let hit FA because he'll get , pay him when you have the cap to do so.

Andrew Thomas 5 year record breaking contract extension, anywhere from 20-22 a year. He's the best tackle in the NFL, another one we cant let hit FA, extend him now. 

After that Barkley and Jones

Jones: 2 year, 26 million. Still a prove it deal but provides stability, i wouldn't sign him to anything longer than two years.

Barkley 4 year 44 million. Simply put would put him in the top 5 of RB contracts, but structure it for the first two year to have the majority of cap hit. However he's also a FA and I can see some team throwing a big old contract at him.

But yeah extend the 2020 draft, then go after Jones and Barkley IMO.

Dexters 5th year option is already picked up, we had to do it by the end of may.  

I don't think the Giants are going to sign Jones. That's just me. You can't give him franchise tag money, you can't trust a long term contract based off of the possibility of one good season.  Barkley is the better option for a 3 year, 4th year option year. 

Lawrence and Love needs to get done next season. No extensions for anyone after that, they need to wait till the following season.

13 minutes ago, boohyah said:

I don't think the Giants are going to sign Jones. That's just me. You can't give him franchise tag money, you can't trust a long term contract based off of the possibility of one good season.  Barkley is the better option for a 3 year, 4th year option year. 

Lawrence and Love needs to get done next season. No extensions for anyone after that, they need to wait till the following season.

A contract at $15-$18M per year would be less than half or roughly half of what the franchise QBs are making these days, it would be a relative bargain considering we have no suitable replacement.

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

Ah all the more reason to extend him then. 

Give the man his money 💰💰💰

Good thing is could probably give him a big contract extension without his 2023 cap number going up all that much. Last I checked it's currently around $9M estimated, so maybe that or $10-11M with a contract extension.

4 hours ago, mastershake said:

Cap hits of around $12-16M over the next 3 years are relatively light for an RB. It's not like he's raking in $25-30M like some of the top tier receivers or defenders. Derrick Henry for instance got what I think is a very reasonable 4 years $48M. This wouldn't be breaking the bank. This is a player though who, if all works out, produces like half your offensive output, and has no suitable replacement.

12-18 would be 2nd behind only zeke this year I think.  

2 hours ago, mastershake said:

A contract at $15-$18M per year would be less than half or roughly half of what the franchise QBs are making these days, it would be a relative bargain considering we have no suitable replacement.

How many years are you talking about?

21 minutes ago, Herc said:

12-18 would be 2nd behind only zeke this year I think.  

It would only hit $16-18M by 2026. Years down the road.

For 2022,

McCaffrey is $16M

Kamara $15M

Zeke $15M

Dalvin Cook $12.6M

Henry $12.5M

Nick Chubb $12.2M

So a potential $12M cap hit for Barkley in 2023 seems fair.

2 minutes ago, mastershake said:

3 years, though we could structure it so that a cut, if necessary, in year 3 would minimize the cap hit.

I think a commitment to Jones in any form isn't going to happen.  He's in a bad spot IMO. Not getting the 5th year option picked up hurts his market overall. You could see him signing 1-2 year deals elsewhere a la  Andy Dalton, where he might hit paydirt  down the line but he'll have a career in the league at least. 

It sucks, I just think that despite what he may do this year, it's his previous years will hurt him.

7 minutes ago, mastershake said:

For 2022,

McCaffrey is $16M

Kamara $15M

Zeke $15M

Dalvin Cook $12.6M

Henry $12.5M

Nick Chubb $12.2M

At the rate he's going now, you can't pay him less than Kamara and Zeke, he has way more effect on the game. Henry should be getting more than them.

I'd give him Mc Caffrey money for 3 years tops. 

6 hours ago, Herc said:

I don’t want to give that cap hit to any running back who ever lived.  Jones for that price sure

You’d have to take into account the leadership aspect.  The young man demeanor is years ahead of his age.   And I don’t think he’ll be greedy either.

I’m just enjoying the season.  I crunch numbers for a living and I don’t want to do that here (I’m tired).  I Love Barkley and Jones.  

22 minutes ago, mastershake said:

For 2022,

McCaffrey is $16M

Kamara $15M

Zeke $15M

Dalvin Cook $12.6M

Henry $12.5M

Nick Chubb $12.2M

One of our lists is outdated.  Spotrac has zeke at 18 cap hit and everyone else under 12.  Either way it’s just a philosophical thing for me and nothing against the player.  I think 5-8% of the salary cap is a lot for that position unless you’re a running back away from contending.  

i think 14 mil for Jones when top qbs are 40+ mil is very good value if there are no short-term answers for us

It is a bit of an odd spot for Jones and Barkley to be in, as free agents, and for our team considering I don't know if there's any short term replacements.

I just think if these guys stay healthy, if you can get these guys back in the offseason for relatively cheap/modest contracts, I think you have to consider it, but that's just my opinion. If Barkely has a cap hit of $10-12M next year, I'm not overly concerned and don't believe that breaks the bank or inhibits us from bringing on additional players. For Jones, he's not lighting it up or anything, but he's been a decent game manager who's made plays at times, and I don't believe Tyrod Taylor is a suitable starter.

Small related note: It would be interesting to see if we can bring back guys like Fabian Moreau, Jihan Ward, and Nick Williams for relatively cheap (like $1-2M)...Wink seems to be able to utilize them well and they're contributing, even if Ward and Williams are only rotational guys. Julian Love is a guy I presume we want to bring back too, but he's going to have a fairly sizable contract.

Just now, The P said:

The franchise tag for running backs is around $9 mil.      If we can’t get a deal worked out we should tag him at least. 

I'd like that too if possible.

By the way, on the cap hits, disregard my prior post about RB's. I must have been looking at the wrong thing. Here's the 2023 cap hits for RBs:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/2023/cap-hit/running-back/

Aaron Jones $20M (now that's overpaid)

Zeke $16.7M

Henry $15.8M

Chubb $14.8M

Cook $14.1M

Mixon $12.8M

McCaffrey $12M

So if Barkley has a $10-12M cap hit, I believe it's mostly reasonable.

Jones is a tough call....we are playing ourselves out of the tip '23 QBs...so for that reason alone, an extension is a good idea.  I know we have Tyrod for another year, but if we continue to play well...we wouldn't have that high pick in '24 either.

If we can get Jones in top 15 money but not top 10, I think we sign him.  

Definitely get Barkley, Lawrence, Thomas, and McKinnny locked down as soon as possible.  Barkley 3-4 years.  The others 5+ years.