SportsWrath

Hindsight draft...

gmenroc

9 hours ago, boohyah said:

Sean Taylor was over rated. Agree with Golfing here. I've always said this.

He hit hard but you couldn't put him up with the great safeties in this game at all.

Agreed but his career was cut short.

10 hours ago, boohyah said:

Sean Taylor was over rated. Agree with Golfing here. I've always said this.

He hit hard but you couldn't put him up with the great safeties in this game at all.

among his contemporaries, I thought Kenny Phillips, whose career was also cut short, was a better player. Not the hitter or workout warrior Taylor was, but a much better football player. 

And that doesn't even begin to get into the hall of fame level players, like Ed Reed, or - the fucker - Brian Dawkins. 

DC fans hyped Taylor so much post tragedy that a lot of us are starting to believe the retroactive hype. Don't. 

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

among his contemporaries, I thought Kenny Phillips, whose career was also cut short, was a better player. Not the hitter or workout warrior Taylor was, but a much better football player. 

And that doesn't even begin to get into the hall of fame level players, like Ed Reed, or - the fucker - Brian Dawkins. 

DC fans hyped Taylor so much post tragedy that a lot of us are starting to believe the retroactive hype. Don't. 

Dawkins played for the wrong team but a legend indeed.

4 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

Yeah, I'm not sure Phillips would have been better. There were signs we had something there but I don't think he would have been a top safety. 

That said, totally agree with you on Taylor. They projected him to be a star, there were no guarantees that would have happened. He's not even on the same page as Dawkins or Reed.

22 minutes ago, boohyah said:

Yeah, I'm not sure Phillips would have been better. There were signs we had something there but I don't think he would have been a top safety. 

That said, totally agree with you on Taylor. They projected him to be a star, there were no guarantees that would have happened. He's not even on the same page as Dawkins or Reed.

I thought this thread needed an actual hot take.

22 hours ago, boohyah said:

The case could be made that he wasn't even the second best safety to come out of Miami....Bernie Blades and Fred Marion had comparable careers...Marion was a 1st team All Pro...something Taylor was not able to achieve in his short career.

C. Wagon

So on Flott last week, passes he defended were 3 for 7 for 29 yards.

In the last four games of the year, QB's (exclusively Cousins and Hurts) went 5 for 12 for 37 yards (~3 yards per target), and in two of the games (Ind, Wash) he wasn't targeted at all.

Prior to that, earlier in the season QB's were 12 for 15 for 154 yards against him (~10 yards per target)

He's definitely improved down the stretch.

6 hours ago, mastershake said:

So on Flott last week, passes he defended were 3 for 7 for 29 yards.

In the last four games of the year, QB's (exclusively Cousins and Hurts) went 5 for 12 for 37 yards (~3 yards per target), and in two of the games (Ind, Wash) he wasn't targeted at all.

Prior to that, earlier in the season QB's were 12 for 15 for 154 yards against him (~10 yards per target)

He's definitely improved down the stretch.

6 hours ago, mastershake said:

Also for reference, against the Eagles at least, Rodarius Williams had 9 for 11 for 115 yards, and Nick McCloud had 3 for 3 for 29 yards against them.

In other words, Cordale Flott last week was the only competent CB we had on the field.

He has definitely looked much better these past few weeks.

Not exactly on topic, but I didn't want to start a separate thread just on this:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/giants-sign-former-cowboys-wr-james-washington-to-practice-squad-ahead-of-super-wild-card-weekend/

Giants sign former Cowboys WR James Washington to practice squad

I always liked this guy in Pitt (and in college). He flashed at times. 2nd round pick in 2018. 114 catches, 1600+ yards, 11TDs in 4 years with Pitt.

He got lost on the mix too at Pitt, between Antonio Brown, Ju Ju Smith-Schuster, Diontae Johnson, and later Chase Claypool.

Nothing to get excited about just yet, but someone to keep an eye on, especially considering how shallow our WR Corps is going into the offseason.

• 6 months later...

Might as well have the hindsight draft for this year as well... 

Giants - Pick 24. Deonte Banks, CB, Maryland.

Seph's Pick - Joey Porter Jr, CB,   Penn State.

I really like Deonte Banks, but like Porter's game just a little bit more.  Porter is less athletic, but more physical and seems to win at the release a bit more than Banks.  I think Banks will eventually be the better player but Porter strikes me as a better "Day 1" guy.  Plus, I love his pedigree and always wanted his dad to come play in New York. 

Giants Picks: Pick 57. John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota.

Pick 73 (from LAR via HOU) Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee.

Nothing to say about these two, great picks. 

Giants Pick - 172* Eric Gray, RB, Oklahoma.

Seph's Pick:  AT Perry, WR, Wake Forest

I followed A.T. Perry for a while and can't figure out how he didn't have more draft buzz.  Big, strong, and wins at the point of attack, and had a better 40 time then people thought he would.  I think Gray will be a nice change-of-pace back and certainly don't hate the pick, but I think Perry will be the better long-term player. 

Giants Pick - Round 6, Pick 209 (From KC) Trey Hawkins, DB, Old Dominion

Seph's pick - Deuce Vaughan, RB, Kansas State

Vaughan has amazing, speed, and I had taken him in an early mock.  He's a very "boom or bust" type as he's the smallest player ever to enter the league, but I could easily see him having a Darren Sproles-type "do everything" career.  I think the Cowboys are going to like  him.  I thought hard about Dee Winters in this spot (who I also think is going to have a great career) but we need a big play guy for when Saquon inevitably gets hurt. 

For the record, I think Hawkins is going to be a good one for us and probably the right pick here.  He wasn't even on my radar. 

Giants Pick - Round 7, Pick 243. Jordan Riley, DT, Oregon

Seph's pick - Moro Ojomo, DE, Texas

Ojomo isn't the type of player to wow you with his moves or quickness, but he has positional versatility and is very strong.  He's certainly fast enough but is a bit stiff and doesn't change directions exceptionally well.  Still though, stick him on the inside for pass rushing downs and on the outside for running plays and I think you'll have yourself a decent rotational piece.  I guess the Eagles will find out. 

Giants Pick - Round 7, Pick 254* Gervarrius Owens, S, Houston

Seph's Pick - Andre Carter, DE, Army

Carter was originally projected to be picked in the second or third round, and I can't believe in real life he didn't even get drafted.  He's got size, speed, and decent moves, but his bench press in the combine really seemed to hurt him.  I think he'll end up as an excellent rotational piece and put up decent numbers as a backup guy for the first few seasons, with the ability to develop into a starter. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Whelp, still probably too early, but let's have a look at the respective scorecards: 

Round 2, No. 43 overall: Wan’Dale Robinson

Who I'd take - TE Trey Mc Bride

Comments - Wan'Dale has emerged as one of the best young WR on the team.   Mc Bridge has emerged as one of the best young TE in the league.  The choice is clear. 

EDGE:  Seph

Round 3, No. 67 overall: Joshua Ezeudu

Who I'd take - LB Nakobe Dean

Comments - Dean has looked good when healthy, though he's been hurt often.  Ezeudu has been bad when healthy, though he's been hurt often. 

Round 3, No. 81 overall: Cordale Flott (CB, LSU)

Who I'd take - LB Leo Chenal 

Comments - While he's flashed at times, Flott is just not very good, and for all the reasons I had said, "he's just not very good."  Chenal, meanwhile, has developed into one of the best young LB in the league and is a starter on a team with arguably the best LB corps.   Again, pretty clear. 

EDGE:  Seph. 

Round 4, No. 112 overall: Daniel Bellinger (TE, San Diego State)

Who I'd have taken - RB Isiah Spiller

Comments - Clear in the other direction. Spiller hasn't shown enough, but Bellinger is a very capable TE. 

EDGE:  Schoen

Round 4, No. 114 overall, Dane Belton (S, Iowa)

Who I'd have taken - OG/OT Zach Tom

Comments - Zach Tom may be the best RT in the league under 25 years old.  Of all the safeties under 25 in the league, you can say that Dane Belton is definitely one of them. 

Round 5, No. 146 overall: Micah McFadden (LB, Indiana)

Who I'd have taken - RB Ty Chandler

Comments - Well, look at that... turns out that when you actually PLAY Ty Chandler, he's pretty good.  McFadden came a long way this year as well.  They're both decent players, so I'm calling this a push. 

EDGE:  Push

Round 5, No. 147 overall: D.J. Davidson (DT, Arizona State)

Who I'd have taken - CB Zyon McCollum

Comments - they both still pretty much suck. 

Round 5, No. 173 overall: Marcus McKethan (OG, North Carolina)

Who I'd have taken - OG Jamaree Salyer

Comments - Salyer came back to earth in his second season after really punching up his first year playing LT for the first time.  McKethan has been more of a punching bag.  One good season is better than zero good seasons, so Salyer has the edge here. 

Round 6, No. 182 overall Darrian Beavers (LB, Cincinnati)

Who I'd have taken - OG Lecitus Smith 

They're both out of the league. 

Edge: PUSH

Just imagine what coulda been heading into next year, fellas... 

Giants - Pick 24. Deonte Banks, CB, Maryland.

Seph's Pick - Joey Porter Jr, CB,   Penn State.

Comments:  So far, Porter has pretty clearly been the better player.  More physical, better in coverage, smarter, more tenacious.  Again, I think Banks has a chance to develop into a better corner eventually but there's already Pro Bowl talk around Porter. 

Giants Pick - 172* Eric Gray, RB, Oklahoma.

Seph's Pick:  AT Perry, WR, Wake Forest

Comments:  Definitely too early to tell with these two... AT Perry didn't play much, but looked pretty good when he did play.  Eric Gray has shown that he pretty much has no value on the team and is a fringe roster player, and RBs are pretty much "what you see is what you get" even during their rookie season. 

Giants Pick - Round 6, Pick 209 (From KC) Trey Hawkins, DB, Old Dominion

Seph's pick - Deuce Vaughan, RB, Kansas State

Comments:  Neither was very good, but Hawkins at least got some playing time. 

EDGE:  Schoen

Giants Pick - Round 7, Pick 243. Jordan Riley, DT, Oregon

Seph's pick - Moro Ojomo, DE, Texas

Comments: Neither played much, but Ojomo's PFF grade is nearly double Riley's.  Maybe call this a push for now. 

Giants Pick - Round 7, Pick 254* Gervarrius Owens, S, Houston

Seph's Pick - Andre Carter, DE, Army

Comments: Andre Carter played.  Gervarrius Owens did not.  Last one I called a push, so this one I'm giving to myself. 

For those keeping score it's now 8-2, and I should clearly be the Giants GM over Schmoe Schoen.