SportsWrath

Feliciano signed to play center on one year deal

boohyah

16 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I am not seeing Linderbaum going to the Gmen in any mocks....or him going before 14th.....

Man I hope you are right.

C. Wagon

Me either but my hopes are high.  Maybe we trade down 

21 minutes ago, Herc said:

Me either but my hopes are high.  Maybe we trade down 

Id love if we traded our 6th to move to the teens and grabbed him there. Kid's gonna be wearing a gold jacket some day if he stays healthy. 

4 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

Id love if we traded our 6th to move to the teens and grabbed him there. Kid's gonna be wearing a gold jacket some day if he stays healthy. 

Agreed, and if you feel that way then fuck it just take him.  If you’re that confident in the guy why risk missing out on him cuz you got too cute and traded too far down 

16 minutes ago, Herc said:

Agreed, and if you feel that way then fuck it just take him.  If you’re that confident in the guy why risk missing out on him cuz you got too cute and traded too far down 

This is what I write... just grab the people you want near to where you think they should be.  All of this trading down and picking someone where they should be has given us ten years of bullshit.

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I am not seeing Linderbaum going to the Gmen in any mocks....or him going before 14th.....

Man I hope you are right.

C. Wagon

I haven't either but I think it's because he's a center.  I have read nothing but generational talent throughout...take him at 7...OT at 5

Can't someone explain to me why 

1) We're not cutting Gates (cap savings ~$2.2M)

2) Why we didn't/aren't signing someone better at Center, than Feliciano who's backup caliber at best? Ted Karras went for 3 yrs $18M, and Mason Cole 3 yrs $16M. We could have easily afforded these contracts if we cut Gates and if we structured them like Glowinski's contract so that 2022 cap hit was only ~$4M or so.

Bradley Bozeman, JC Tretter, J.C. Hassenauer, are still available.

Why did we sign an injury prone guy who's barely spent time at C, and who's a backup at best? If we signed him as a backup, I'm fine, but not as a starter.

26 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Can't someone explain to me why 

1) We're not cutting Gates (cap savings ~$2.2M)

2) Why we didn't/aren't signing someone better at Center, than Feliciano who's backup caliber at best? Ted Karras went for 3 yrs $18M, and Mason Cole 3 yrs $16M. We could have easily afforded these contracts if we cut Gates and if we structured them like Glowinski's contract so that 2022 cap hit was only ~$4M or so.

Bradley Bozeman, JC Tretter, J.C. Hassenauer, are still available.

Why did we sign an injury prone guy who's barely spent time at C, and who's a backup at best? If we signed him as a backup, I'm fine, but not as a starter.

My guess is they'll hold on to Gates until the eleventh hour and cut him on the eve of training camp if he isn't close enough to recovered. 

When you get down to these guys with cap hits at $2 million and under, there isn't a whole lot of savings to be had. You can cut him, but you have to replace him too....  I think the odds of getting a guy in for Gates money or less, at Gates quality or more, is pretty damn low. Dude just kept improving, until that injury. 

5 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

My guess is they'll hold on to Gates until the eleventh hour and cut him on the eve of training camp if he isn't close enough to recovered. 

When you get down to these guys with cap hits at $2 million and under, there isn't a whole lot of savings to be had. You can cut him, but you have to replace him too....  I think the odds of getting a guy in for Gates money or less, at Gates quality or more, is pretty damn low. Dude just kept improving, until that injury. 

The $2.2M in money on Gates could be put towards the aforementioned guys with a cap hit of only ~$3-4M, guys who will actually play this year and didn't suffer a career ending injury that required 6 surgeries.

12 minutes ago, Herc said:

Do we know what his eta is?

https://giantswire.usatoday.com/2022/01/11/nick-gates-optimistic-his-new-york-giants-career-will-eventually-continue/

Gates doesn't even know, so definitely not this year.

Sounds like typical giants treatment of the OL the last 10 years. Relying on a backup caliber injury prone guy to replace a guy who's coming off a horrific injury and is unlikely to even play.

This is Dave Gettleman / Reese style treatment of the offensive line here.

Meanwhile, we insist on having James Bradberry and Barkley on this roster instead of bringing in a top tier or solid veteran lineman alongside Glowinski. 

15 minutes ago, mastershake said:

The $2.2M in money on Gates could be put towards the aforementioned guys with a cap hit of only ~$3-4M, guys who will actually play this year and didn't suffer a career ending injury that required 6 surgeries.

yeah, but they're not exactly aiming for a fifth ring this season so my guess is they're going to make the long term play and gamble on Gates making a recovery. 

7 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

yeah, but they're not exactly aiming for a fifth ring this season so my guess is they're going to make the long term play and gamble on Gates making a recovery. 

The long term play includes dedicating nearly $20M in cap to Bradberry and Barkley though, on the last year of their contracts??? 

Instead of bringing in reliable veteran lineman for 3-4 years...?

And hoping Gates comes back (he won't) who's also in the last year of his contract...where he'll be a free agent next year as well?

What's the long term play here?

6 minutes ago, Herc said:

To be fair it’s a little early to have a grasp on exactly what they’re thinking with all these guys right now.  They could all be gone in a week 

Rumor is Schoen is asking for a King's Ransom for Barkley, at least a 1st rounder (which no team is willing to give), so other GMs think he's not serious about trading Barkley. 

Gates would have been gone already if they wanted to.

Not sure what's going on with Bradberry. You could use that $12M in cap savings to sign another veteran OL (a starting capable Center), and backfill the TE position (there's a lot of decent FA TE options available), such as Austin Hooper, Blake Jarwin, Robert Tonyan, Hayden Hurst, who wouldn't cost much. Why wait? Nobody is trading for him.

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

The long term play includes dedicating nearly $20M in cap to Bradberry and Barkley though, on the last year of their contracts??? 

Instead of bringing in reliable veteran lineman for 3-4 years...?

And hoping Gates comes back (he won't) who's also in the last year of his contract...where he'll be a free agent next year as well?

What's the long term play here?

I think you're way premature on most of this. Bradberry and Barkley could and I think probably will both still be moved.

Personally,  I would gamble on Barkley being more valuable near the trade deadline than he is today (if the piddly trade offer reports are true).

Bradberry should be moved sooner, but it doesn't have to be today, it could be on draft day, it could even happen in training camp. In my view, keeping him is preferable to cutting him; I know he won't be here to hoist a Lombardi, but he's a pro about being a pro, the kind of vet player that sets a high bar for the next generation. 

I'm not going to be pessimistic about Gates' health. He says he'll be back sooner or later, so that's what I am going with. I think we know how this will play out though. Gates will stay on the roster until camp, and if he fails his physical nor is he close enough for the PUP list, then he'll get an injury settlement and you'll have your $2 million in cap savings.

If he can make it back though, worry not about his expiring contract. Teams can always keep a player's rights if they really want to, it's just a matter of cost/benefit.

41 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

I think you're way premature on most of this. Bradberry and Barkley could and I think probably will both still be moved.

Personally,  I would gamble on Barkley being more valuable near the trade deadline than he is today (if the piddly trade offer reports are true).

Bradberry should be moved sooner, but it doesn't have to be today, it could be on draft day, it could even happen in training camp. In my view, keeping him is preferable to cutting him; I know he won't be here to hoist a Lombardi, but he's a pro about being a pro, the kind of vet player that sets a high bar for the next generation. 

I'm not going to be pessimistic about Gates' health. He says he'll be back sooner or later, so that's what I am going with. I think we know how this will play out though. Gates will stay on the roster until camp, and if he fails his physical nor is he close enough for the PUP list, then he'll get an injury settlement and you'll have your $2 million in cap savings.

If he can make it back though, worry not about his expiring contract. Teams can always keep a player's rights if they really want to, it's just a matter of cost/benefit.

Hanging on to Barkley to get better trade value near the trade deadline makes sense, but that could easily go south if he gets injured again, plus that's $7M less cap space you won't have to work with this free agency.

Bradberry...we have $12M in potential cap savings, so we'd better move him soon. Use that $12M to get one additional starting OL in addition to Glowinksi, plus I'm also starting to think we might need a decent veteran DT to play alongside Dexter Lawrence, now that Austin Johnson and Shelton are gone. OC Bozeman seems to make the most sense right now, and we can probably get him for the same contract Glowinski got. For DT, at least sign someone for depth. You'd probably still then have money leftover for one of the TE's I mentioned earlier.

In other words, we can ditch Bradberry and bring in like three free agents with those cap savings. The CB position would still be okay with Jackson (who actually had a nice season last year), Jarren Williams who looks promising, Darney Holmes, Aaron Robinson, plus draft. It's not a great group, but not terrible, and honestly Bradberry is simply not worth it given the gaps we have elsewhere.

Gates makes no sense to hang onto given the uncertainty. IF he does somehow recover by August (and I don't think he will), you can always re-sign him for a minimal 1 year $950k deal or so.