SportsWrath

Cuts

Herc

38 minutes ago, Herc said:

Honestly for the cost of a 3rd round pick and a 4 year 5 mil contract I’d roll the dice with 6 fumbles for his type of production from my starter.  That’s better value than using 2% of my cap on a solid backup rb imo 

I thought there was a chance Booker would be the starter.

If you put any stock in DVOA or DYAR, it's interesting that Booker tied Gibson in DYAR despite having more than a hundred fewer touches. I think that's got to be because of the fumbles.

34 minutes ago, mastershake said:

I can't believe we cut Booker, and are planning to keep Barkley this year. Completely dumb move that wastes $8M in precious cap space, and leaves us with an undependable injury prone back, rather than a solid back who outperformed the injury prone back.

You won't catch me dumping on Barkley, he seems like a good dude and I hope he gets back to being himself out there, but I think a smart front office probably moves on, likely via trade for whatever we can get. Because even if Barkley gets heathy, by the time this team has use for him he'll be on the downside already. And I don't see him being a late career Walter Payton type player.

Given the injuries, Barkley MIGHT be on the downside already.  Admittedly, he's a good dude and a team guy.  But he's not worth his contract.

I think Schoen said he will listen to calls on anyone, but that was in response to a question on Barkley specifically.  I take Schoen at his word...he will listen, but might laugh at you until you hang up too.  I wouldn't say Barkley is being shopped, but they clearly have value in mind for each player and if the deal is right, Schoen will pull the trigger.  Seems very much a team-over-player kinda guy.

I too am surprised at the Booker release this early.  If there is a deal worth making for Barkley, having a vet like Booker wouldn't be a bad idea.  Like I said before, just restricts options on Barkley I think...unless Schoen has a plan to roll without either player, which honestly...if we're gonna suck, we might as well suck hard

43 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

I thought there was a chance Booker would be the starter.

If you put any stock in DVOA or DYAR, it's interesting that Booker tied Gibson in DYAR despite having more than a hundred fewer touches. I think that's got to be because of the fumbles.

You won't catch me dumping on Barkley, he seems like a good dude and I hope he gets back to being himself out there, but I think a smart front office probably moves on, likely via trade for whatever we can get. Because even if Barkley gets heathy, by the time this team has use for him he'll be on the downside already. And I don't see him being a late career Walter Payton type player.

If Booker were the starter then I totally agree and im cool with that cost for a starting rb.  

I think Barkley will be fine health-wise and if he gets traded to Buffalo (we kinda owe them) or somewhere that has a line in place he’ll produce big numbers for another few seasons.  The problem is his contract timing doesn’t line up with when our line will be good—which is why you don’t bring in an expensive rb before you fix the line

14 hours ago, Virginia Giant said:

Yeah there is an extremely small number of people I would consider not cuttable. McKinney, Thomas, Toney, …drawing a black. Tired and high on codeine. 

Olijari?

The $7.2M you would save by cutting Barkley can be put towards getting us a solid veteran offensive lineman (a position where we have 4/5 starters to fill).

Again, the guy's injury prone, plus 2022 is a transitory year (we won't be on contention), and Barkley's last season. What's the point of keeping Barkley? Without a competent OL, the guy doesn't make a difference...and we're not getting a competent OL in 2022 along with him at this rate.

Who's going to start on our OL next year besides Andrew Thomas? Lemieux didn't even play a snap last year, plus is only a backup. Gates has a potentially career ending injury; can't count on him. Peart is clearly nowhere near starting materials. Bredeson is a backup at best. Price, who played sorta okay down the stretch, is a free agent. Hernandez who blowed is also a free agend. We have one starting OL on this current roster, lol. 

I presume we use ONE premium draft pick (top 2 rds) on an OL...maybe two. But even then, the OL won't be competent this season. There's really no point to keeping Barkley.

I think it’s pointless to keep him too but I don’t think he has zero trade value either.  Somebody with a short championship window is going to say fuck it and bring him in for a year and then let him walk.  The Rams future mortgaging strategy paying off only helps the odds of that happening 

The trade value on Barkely I agree must be poor, but just get him off the roster any way you can. Heck take a 5th-6th rounder at this point just to get that $7.2M cap number off the books.

This is an all too familiar script with the giants over the last several years. Going into the season with a decrepit OL....then turning around and being shocked when your offense can't move the ball, despite having decent skill position players...and then turning around and being even more shocked when an offensive coordinator "can't figure out how to turn shit into diamonds" with the shitty offensive line he's been given ("Ahh it's the playcalling that's bad!").

Like Clinton with "It's the economy, stupid" from 1992, so to it is with the Giants in 2022 "It's the Offensive Line, stupid!"

Rumours that Shep is about to agree to a massive pay cut from 12 M to 2 M in order to save CAP and stay a NY Giant

https://nypost.com/2022/03/03/giants-ask-sterling-shepard-to-take-huge-pay-cut/

TweetSee new TweetsConversationFilm Talk Football@FilmTalkFBReport: I’m told #Giants WR Sterling Shepherd will take a significant pay cut to stay with the team. 
$12 Million ➡️ $1-2 Million.
#Togetherblue

1 minute ago, UK-Giantsfan said:

Rumours that Shep is about to agree to a massive pay cut from 12 M to 2 M in order to save CAP and stay a NY Giant

https://nypost.com/2022/03/03/giants-ask-sterling-shepard-to-take-huge-pay-cut/

TweetSee new TweetsConversationFilm Talk Football@FilmTalkFBReport: I’m told #Giants WR Sterling Shepherd will take a significant pay cut to stay with the team. 
$12 Million ➡️ $1-2 Million.
#Togetherblue

That would be awesome if it happens.

As an old time, Giants fan... trade Barkley for a 3rd to 5th rounder.  At this point I and other Giants fans can literally give a shit... We need cap room and you don't get that by sentimentally holding onto to a broken running back.  Face it... opposing defenses are going to tee off on him any time he gets the ball.  They are going to pound him until he breaks and has shown he is fragile.

On 3/3/2022 at 1:52 PM, mastershake said:

The $7.2M you would save by cutting Barkley can be put towards getting us a solid veteran offensive lineman (a position where we have 4/5 starters to fill).

Again, the guy's injury prone, plus 2022 is a transitory year (we won't be on contention), and Barkley's last season. What's the point of keeping Barkley? Without a competent OL, the guy doesn't make a difference...and we're not getting a competent OL in 2022 along with him at this rate.

Who's going to start on our OL next year besides Andrew Thomas? Lemieux didn't even play a snap last year, plus is only a backup. Gates has a potentially career ending injury; can't count on him. Peart is clearly nowhere near starting materials. Bredeson is a backup at best. Price, who played sorta okay down the stretch, is a free agent. Hernandez who blowed is also a free agend. We have one starting OL on this current roster, lol. 

I presume we use ONE premium draft pick (top 2 rds) on an OL...maybe two. But even then, the OL won't be competent this season. There's really no point to keeping Barkley.

I think you have to trade Barkley to get the cap savings. If you cut him you're still on the hook for the money. 

As far as starters go... Keep Thomas obviously, Bredeson is your "we have to get by with him" guy, sign Laken Tomlinson to a big deal and Tyrell Crosby to a small one, and draft Linderbaum and Ekwonu.  They're not gonna come out of the gate hot, but the last half of the season that should be a pretty decent offensive line. 

21 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

I think you have to trade Barkley to get the cap savings. If you cut him you're still on the hook for the money. 

As far as starters go... Keep Thomas obviously, Bredeson is your "we have to get by with him" guy, sign Laken Tomlinson to a big deal and Tyrell Crosby to a small one, and draft Linderbaum and Ekwonu.  They're not gonna come out of the gate hot, but the last half of the season that should be a pretty decent offensive line. 

Yes, that's what I meant. Trade only.

I'm good with that plan for the OL.