SportsWrath

Schoen and the Cap

BronxRik

I think with Thomas, Linderbaum, and Ekronu....and maybe one decent FA....we could probably find a stop gap at the 5th spot for a year.

Granted, won't be the best in the league by any means, there will be rookie mistakes too...but the improvement there would be enough to get the info needed on Jones.

Don't get me wrong, I am not holding much hope for him.  I think we move on next year given the pool of FAs this year, the QBs in the draft, and our cap position.

We do need to find a decent backup in FA this offseason and sign to 2 years.  Would be nice to have a guy in the system to help bridge Jones to his eventual replacement.

On 3/3/2022 at 8:40 PM, gmenroc said:

I think with Thomas, Linderbaum, and Ekronu....and maybe one decent FA....we could probably find a stop gap at the 5th spot for a year.

Granted, won't be the best in the league by any means, there will be rookie mistakes too...but the improvement there would be enough to get the info needed on Jones.

Don't get me wrong, I am not holding much hope for him.  I think we move on next year given the pool of FAs this year, the QBs in the draft, and our cap position.

We do need to find a decent backup in FA this offseason and sign to 2 years.  Would be nice to have a guy in the system to help bridge Jones to his eventual replacement.

This is how I feel as well. If we get one of the top FA guards available, we can hope that between Bredeson, Gates, and Peart we can find someone to fill the other spot. There's guys in the later rounds of the draft (Marquise Hayes, Ed Ingram, Cole Strange) that I think can come in and challenge for a starting role too. 

For real draft high for the OL and get some decent free agents and the line will come together in 1-3 years tops.  Most of the positions will gel at year 1 to 1.5/2 years; the 3rd year will be the cherry on top.  You should endeavor to keep the line mostly intact for 2 to 6 years dependent upon contracts.  With this any QB from mediocre to great can go deep into the playoffs.  Run when you can and give 4-6 seconds consistently in a pocket is good stuff.  The Broke Backs during the Aikman grooming and era were textbooks on this.

On 3/3/2022 at 8:40 PM, gmenroc said:

Yes, this is what I would advocate for. Using two out of our three draft picks in the first 2 rounds on OL, and then bringing in at least one decent FA (perhaps Laken Tomlinson).

Then at the other guard position, you just have to live with/get by with guys like Bredeson, Wes Martin, and/or Lemieux competing for that remaining OL spot.

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

Yes, this is what I would advocate for. Using two out of our three draft picks in the first 2 rounds on OL, and then bringing in at least one decent FA (perhaps Laken Tomlinson).

Then at the other guard position, you just have to live with/get by with guys like Bredeson, Wes Martin, and/or Lemieux competing for that remaining OL spot.

Curious now after the combine which line prospects you want and where you think we can get them.

I'm still in on Linderbaum and Ekronu...but talks now of Ekronu going 1 overall.  Cross was a guy I was iffy on, but wouldn't hate that pick in top 10 if both Neal and Ekronu go in top 4.

Saw interest from Panthers in Linderbaum, so don't know if we take interior OL at 5 or risk it at 7.  I like the BC center, but not in 1st round.

9 minutes ago, gmenroc said:

Curious now after the combine which line prospects you want and where you think we can get them.

I'm still in on Linderbaum and Ekronu...but talks now of Ekronu going 1 overall.  Cross was a guy I was iffy on, but wouldn't hate that pick in top 10 if both Neal and Ekronu go in top 4.

Saw interest from Panthers in Linderbaum, so don't know if we take interior OL at 5 or risk it at 7.  I like the BC center, but not in 1st round.

I honestly haven't followed the combine fully. What are the thoughts on Evan Neal and/or Kenyon Green as well? I think I saw Kenyon Green's stock fall.

My understanding of Cross...isn't he more of a pass blocking LT, only average at run blocking, probably not suited to switch to the right side? Although with coaching and a training program, anything is possible I guess.

Linderbaum looks like the real deal. I'd be fine if we take him at #5 if we think he's the next best OL available, I suppose.

Either way we go, I mean.... these are the perils of years of mal-investment in the OL, and leaving your OL to the whims of the draft.

55 minutes ago, mastershake said:

I honestly haven't followed the combine fully. What are the thoughts on Evan Neal and/or Kenyon Green as well? I think I saw Kenyon Green's stock fall.

My understanding of Cross...isn't he more of a pass blocking LT, only average at run blocking, probably not suited to switch to the right side? Although with coaching and a training program, anything is possible I guess.

Linderbaum looks like the real deal. I'd be fine if we take him at #5 if we think he's the next best OL available, I suppose.

Either way we go, I mean.... these are the perils of years of mal-investment in the OL, and leaving your OL to the whims of the draft.

Cross displayed some athleticism that was on par with Ekronu from what I read.  If Neal and Ekronu go top 5, Cross secured himself a top 10 pick whereas before, I had him in the 10-15 range.  Neal didn't participate and I think that may have hurt him with the other guys doing so well.  Neal was consensus #1 lineman and now, he has guys come up to his level.  I think any of the 3 can play right side.  

Green I think fell a bit because of the rise of the tackle group overall.  Teams looking for OL help that weren't going to get Neal or Ekronu now see other OT options.  

Linderbaum came in just shy of 300 lbs.  Think teams want to see that 300 mark for interior lineman anymore.  Not that I know that, but maybe it's just me that wants to see that.  I still want to see him a Giant, regardless of what happened at combine.

I am really liking the prospects at the top of the 2nd.  I would love to get an extra 2nd rounder this year, but short of risking losing out on Ekronu, Cross, and/or Linderbaum by trading down, I don't foresee that occurring.

Big question that I think needs answered is if Hutchison or Thibs falls to us at 5, do we go pass rush or stick with the Oline.

52 minutes ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

I say stick with OL... however a blue chip pass rusher solves a lot of problems....

Yea how many times have seen opposing quarterbacks sit back.... One Mississippi, Two Mississippi, Three Mississippi.... 51 Mississippi, 52 Mississippi, :tumbleweed: