SportsWrath

Nate Solder’s contract automatically voids today, so he’ll become a free agent and the Giants will eat $4 million in dead money in 2022.

jranieli

1 hour ago, Tempest said:

He will probably retire at this point.  He was always an average tackle and when he chose to play here it was guaranteed to be a miserable experience for everyone.

He was clearly below average when he played here! 

1 hour ago, gmenroc said:

Not saying he lived up to expectations or that I'd beat down any doors to do so, but can we sign him for 1 year, as a backup, and not have any dead money?  Just looking at possibilities, even if unlikely or unwanted.

That’s what we did this year and he ended up starting a bunch of games.  Plus I think it’s too late as the contract voided 

9 hours ago, gmenroc said:

Not saying he lived up to expectations or that I'd beat down any doors to do so, but can we sign him for 1 year, as a backup, and not have any dead money?  Just looking at possibilities, even if unlikely or unwanted.

Why would he come back and play for 1 million when he can play somewhere else or retire for four?

On 2/16/2022 at 9:24 PM, gmenroc said:

Yeah.  But dead money means it counts against the cap, right?  And if the Giants don’t pay it, they get to keep it.

1 hour ago, Nas said:

Yeah.  But dead money means it counts against the cap, right?  And if the Giants don’t pay it, they get to keep it.

Dead money is money spent for a player that is no longer on the roster.

Just figured if we already spent it, why not keep him as backup...as unlikely as that will be.  Again, was just looking at possibilities, not preferences or liklihoods

1 hour ago, gmenroc said:

Dead money is money spent for a player that is no longer on the roster.

Just figured if we already spent it, why not keep him as backup...as unlikely as that will be.  Again, was just looking at possibilities, not preferences or liklihoods

Ah... I must have had a incorrect understanding of dead money... so if Solder still gets that money, he better play back up for it.  

35 minutes ago, Nas said:

Ah... I must have had a incorrect understanding of dead money... so if Solder still gets that money, he better play back up for it.  

not gets.... already got. Its pro-rated bonus money + a void year on the contract.

If I'm remembering Solder's last extension correctly, his contract was extended to 2022, but it was a void year. It's a little cap trick to add fake years on the back of the contract to spread out the prorata signing bonus hit. 

10 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

not gets.... already got. Its pro-rated bonus money + a void year on the contract.

If I'm remembering Solder's last extension correctly, his contract was extended to 2022, but it was a void year. It's a little cap trick to add fake years on the back of the contract to spread out the prorata signing bonus hit. 

Yes...this is how it works.  Similar to cutting a player and having all the already-paid, prorated-for-cap-purposes-only money accounted for in the year the player is cut

On 2/17/2022 at 9:34 AM, mastershake said:

I can’t fault DG for signing Solder. I’m mean he was the best LT available at the time and he was 2x SB champion. I think Nate Solder simply checked out once he got paid. I still remember seeing a picture of him next to our right tackle at the time(can’t remember he name) and thinking this dude is a beast.