SportsWrath

When's the last time we've developed a player in the last 10 years?

BlueInCanada

1 hour ago, Pdouble said:

If all these guys are actually good, then it sounds like Gettleman isn’t as bad as it seems.  

His biggest problem is hiring bad coaches. 

Those 2-3 players I mentioned aren't enough though. Gettleman's teams in totality are bad.

To be fair, the roster heading into this season minus the OL, on paper/in theory, was decent. The problem and Achilles heel is the OL, plus of course the head coach is lost.

58 minutes ago, Pdouble said:

Looks like Carl Banks read your thread:

Lol imagine if Giants staff read the shit we posted.

Banks browsing Sportswrath:

"We haven't developed a player in 10 years???? I'm about to fuck this guy up"

*Proceeds to tweet*

I agree Thomas and McKinney have excelled. 

Ojulari looks like he's a stud.

I'm not ready to say Brown, Smith, Holmes and Robinson are just bench scrubs who can be replaced by any other bench scrub in this league.

Although Holmes has showed flashes in the slot. 

2 hours ago, Pdouble said:

Looks like Carl Banks read your thread:

A few points:

1) For every good move/good draft pick, DG seems to have 2-3x bad ones that completely negate and reverse the good.

2) A lot of the guys drafted in 2017 - 2019 also looked promising/good in their initial two years, only to flounder later on (e.g. Will Hernandez, Ximines, Slayton, BJ Hill (fringe starter, more of a rotational backup), Engram, Julian Love, Barkley). 2017 is not on Gettleman obviously... just illustrating a point. 

3) I wouldn't be bragging about the capabilities of a special teams player, when this team has holes all over the place and is wrapping up their 5th 10 loss season in a row. 

4) Darnay Holmes isn't good, at least not yet. He's a 4th CB at best at this point, and fringe nickle back.

5) Ellerson Smith and Aaron Robinson have done practically nothing this year. "Flash" as in "make a couple good plays?" ehhh maybe. What has Ellerson Smith done for instance? He has 8 tackles (2 solo), 0 sacks, 0 TFLs, 2 pressures in 8 games and over 100 snaps. 

6 ) WTF is up with the giants who can't draft/develop reliable starters at CB in general in the last decade? DeAndre Baker, Eli Apple, Sam Beal, Aaron Robinson (yes, it's too early to judge), Jayron Hosley. Seeing a Giants drafted CB on the field as a reliable starter is like the sighting of a rare Tibetan Snow Leopard in the mountains of eastern Tibet the last 8-10 years. Who was the last good starter? Amukamara?

7) The Giants need to seriously stop well wishing for guys to get healthy as a strategy for putting together a roster. A lot of these guys are injury prone and not reliable starters or pieces on an NFL roster (Barkley, DJ, Shepherd, Golladay) etc

8) In totality, this roster is currently garbage and we have a lot of work to do. We're not just a few FA/Draft moves away from a good team. Just as an example, look at the TE position. Engram is gone next year, Rudolph is very mediocre and needs to be cut for cap space, and we realistically have no other TE's on this team...we may well need to sign/draft at least two TEs. Example 2: the OL. The only guy you can rely on going into 2022 is Andrew Thomas. That's it. The other 4 OL positions are currently unfilled. Peart is a disaster, Solder is a disaster, we don't know what we have with Lemiuex, we don't know what Gates will be whenever he's back, etc.

3 hours ago, mastershake said:

A few points:

1) For every good move/good draft pick, DG seems to have 2-3x bad ones that completely negate and reverse the good.

2) A lot of the guys drafted in 2017 - 2019 also looked promising/good in their initial two years, only to flounder later on (e.g. Will Hernandez, Ximines, Slayton, BJ Hill (fringe starter, more of a rotational backup), Engram, Julian Love, Barkley). 2017 is not on Gettleman obviously... just illustrating a point. 

3) I wouldn't be bragging about the capabilities of a special teams player, when this team has holes all over the place and is wrapping up their 5th 10 loss season in a row. 

4) Darnay Holmes isn't good, at least not yet. He's a 4th CB at best at this point, and fringe nickle back.

5) Ellerson Smith and Aaron Robinson have done practically nothing this year. "Flash" as in "make a couple good plays?" ehhh maybe. What has Ellerson Smith done for instance? He has 8 tackles (2 solo), 0 sacks, 0 TFLs, 2 pressures in 8 games and over 100 snaps. 

6 ) WTF is up with the giants who can't draft/develop reliable starters at CB in general in the last decade? DeAndre Baker, Eli Apple, Sam Beal, Aaron Robinson (yes, it's too early to judge), Jayron Hosley. Seeing a Giants drafted CB on the field as a reliable starter is like the sighting of a rare Tibetan Snow Leopard in the mountains of eastern Tibet the last 8-10 years. Who was the last good starter? Amukamara?

7) The Giants need to seriously stop well wishing for guys to get healthy as a strategy for putting together a roster. A lot of these guys are injury prone and not reliable starters or pieces on an NFL roster (Barkley, DJ, Shepherd, Golladay) etc

8) In totality, this roster is currently garbage and we have a lot of work to do. We're not just a few FA/Draft moves away from a good team. Just as an example, look at the TE position. Engram is gone next year, Rudolph is very mediocre and needs to be cut for cap space, and we realistically have no other TE's on this team...we may well need to sign/draft at least two TEs. Example 2: the OL. The only guy you can rely on going into 2022 is Andrew Thomas. That's it. The other 4 OL positions are currently unfilled. Peart is a disaster, Solder is a disaster, we don't know what we have with Lemiuex, we don't know what Gates will be whenever he's back, etc.

Ellerson smith and Robinson haven't played a full year and have shown flashes so he is correct there. The Giants made no secret Smith was a project. 

1 minute ago, boohyah said:

Ellerson smith and Robinson haven't played a full year and have shown flashes so he is correct there. The Giants made no secret Smith was a project. 

What, Ellerson's Smith's two pressures in 100 snaps???

That's fine, but look, you don't hold up these as examples of good draft picks until they're good players.

2 hours ago, mastershake said:

What, Ellerson's Smith's two pressures in 100 snaps???

That's fine, but look, you don't hold up these as examples of good draft picks until they're good players.

And all he has going for him so far is a good first step. But he was born with that, the coaching staff has nothing to do with it.

18 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

And all he has going for him so far is a good first step. But he was born with that, the coaching staff has nothing to do with it.

Right. I'm not trying to bash Ellerson Smith and Aaron Robinson. It's way too early to tell, but my issue is I don't get Carl Banks holding these two up as examples of good draft picks. To be fair, he said starting to flash, but that's MAYBE about as far as I would go. If anything, this is sort of a lost season for them given all the injuries and how this team is completely out of sorts, and we really may not find out what they are until next season.

Banks is a little delusional on that topic. This team has maybe 5-7 true keepers heading into 2022 to build around. McKinney, Ojulari, Lawrence, Andrew Thomas, Toney (I think), Leonard Williams. I suppose Carter has strung together a nice series of games, but he too is injury prone and at most I'd only bring him back on a 1 year $5-6M prove it type of deal. I can't see signing him to multiple years with a big contract yet. I suppose Adoree Jackson as well has, quietly, put together a decent season as well.

In sum, there's still holes and question marks at nearly every position.

Yeah I mean every player is going to flash some potential from time to time.

Remember when Barden was the next Randy Moss? 

Lol 

But that's not what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about taking a player regardless of where they were drafted or if they are a free agent and making them a better football player, not just one guy either, I mean core pieces of a team.

Remember Corey Webster? I loved the pick I bought his jersey day one, but even I'll admit he looked like horseshit till he was benched.

Then he became a top 5 CB in the NFL. 

Or what about Sam Madison? He was considered washed up when we signed him out of Miami. He was a core piece of that SB run. 

Fucking Chase Blackburn was a play making LB when he played here lol 

When have we seen that at all in the past 10 years?

Good coaching staffs make players better, they find ways to do it regardless of talent level, granted it's up to the GM and scouts to find the players with talents to make it easier.