SportsWrath

Seph fixes the Giants... part six.

Sephiroth

I have a plan to fix the Giants.

1. Hire Joe Hortiz from the Ravens.

2. Bring in Greg Roman for HC.

3. Draft Malik Willis and let Roman develop him into the next Lamar Jackson.

Also draft the best OT and Guard you can in the first 3 rounds.

The problem with all of this is that Mara will never hire outside of the "Giants family"

Not to mention I think he'd drop dead before he'd hire someone from the Newsome line, don't they have some beef going on?

Newsome called Mara senior a racist? 

Could be wrong though lol 

19 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

The problem with all of this is that Mara will never hire outside of the "Giants family"

Not to mention I think he'd drop dead before he'd hire someone from the Newsome line, don't they have some beef going on?

I think Newsome is a Belichick guy, going back to his days in Cleveland. 

I don't know this story about Newsome vs. Mara.... 

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

Don't think so. I did a quick Google search and it said Mara went to his GM Forum last year which definitely sounds like a good sign.

I'm not too high on Willis.

In the only game he's played against top competition, against Ole Miss, he threw 0 TDs and 3 INTS in 26 pass attempts.

In other games, against even lower quality competition, he's had some real duffers (e.g. Army, Lousiana)...playing bad down the stretch particularly. He's had like 4-5 gams where he's jacked up his stats and the highlight real (14 TDs 0 INTS against four opponents), but the other games he's been bad (10 TDs 12INTS against the other 8 opponents. He's also played poorly down the stretch here, losing his last three games and going 3TD to 6INTs., after starting 7-2.

I'm also not to keen on drafting anyone associated with Jerry Fallwell.

I could be wrong...I'm not a talent evaluator and maybe things are different once you put him with NFL coaches in an NFL system, and Josh Allen similarly had some uneven stats like the above, but I think he's a boom or bust guy.

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

I'm not too high on Willis.

In the only game he's played against top competition, against Ole Miss, he threw 0 TDs and 3 INTS in 26 pass attempts.

In other games, against even lower quality competition, he's had some real duffers (e.g. Army, Lousiana)...playing bad down the stretch particularly. He's had like 4-5 gams where he's jacked up his stats and the highlight real (14 TDs 0 INTS against four opponents), but the other games he's been bad (10 TDs 12INTS against the other 8 opponents. He's also played poorly down the stretch here, losing his last three games and going 3TD to 6INTs., after starting 7-2.

I'm also not to keen on drafting anyone associated with Jerry Fallwell.

I could be wrong...I'm not a talent evaluator and maybe things are different once you put him with NFL coaches in an NFL system, and Josh Allen similarly had some uneven stats like the above, but I think he's a boom or bust guy.

I had not heard about the Falwell connection, in which case I would auto-not be interested in him as well. 

Otherwise though, I feel like most of the criticisms about him are the same that people had about Jackson.  I know they're different players, with a different work ethic and levels on competition in college... and I'm honestly not even sure I'd like Willis as I haven't really taken a dive into the draft class for real yet... but I would definitely trust a Hortiz/Roman combo to get it right. 

10 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

I had not heard about the Falwell connection, in which case I would auto-not be interested in him as well. 

Otherwise though, I feel like most of the criticisms about him are the same that people had about Jackson.  I know they're different players, with a different work ethic and levels on competition in college... and I'm honestly not even sure I'd like Willis as I haven't really taken a dive into the draft class for real yet... but I would definitely trust a Hortiz/Roman combo to get it right. 

It's also a lot of the same criticisms Josh Allen had, while Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen from the big time schools with big time stats are now busts, so you never know.

30 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

The thing about Jackson was, did he ever take a hit in college?

I didn't think it would translate because it never had before. 

Willis probably has better measurables than Jackson, but he takes hits on purpose. I don't think they're comparable prospects.