SportsWrath

Jaylon Smith

Sephiroth

11 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

I'm not usually a "DG YOU IMGRATE" kinda guy, but is he worth a look since Martinez is out for the year, or is he washed up?

it would have to be for super cheap.  Like under 2 million cheap.    If he wants to sign here for the vet minimum then yeah I’m all for it. 

I've heard like five different reasons he's been cut, I'm not sure if anybody outside the Dallas org knows whats up.

I've seen....

- Its just a cap move man, he got passed on the depth chart, but he's still good! Sign him, imgrates!

- he can't cover for shit! 

- he is a great cover linebacker, but he can't tackle for shit! 

- he is a high character guy, but his body is failing him. 

- he's in great shape, but his ego has grown too large for the Dallas locker room.  

8 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

I've heard like five different reasons he's been cut, I'm not sure if anybody outside the Dallas org knows whats up.

I've seen....

- Its just a cap move man, he got passed on the depth chart, but he's still good! Sign him, imgrates!

- he can't cover for shit! 

- he is a great cover linebacker, but he can't tackle for shit! 

- he is a high character guy, but his body is failing him. 

- he's in great shape, but his ego has grown too large for the Dallas locker room.  

most likely reason I’ve seen is he has guarantees next year thst kick in if he gets injured this year.  They think he’s overdue for an injury so they got rid of him.  

4 minutes ago, Joe Guyden said:

most likely reason I’ve seen is he has guarantees next year thst kick in if he gets injured this year.  They think he’s overdue for an injury so they got rid of him.  

if that's what it is, I'd be happy to roll the dice on it, assuming we get him on a new contract. 

23 minutes ago, Joe Guyden said:

I saw this and think it's the most likely scenario as well. I have no idea how he's played this season though.

He's washed up honestly unless his knee bounces back next year. 

At best he's a rotational LB who can't cover and doesn't have the same speed pre injury. 

At worst he's a liability.

He wasn't starting and his production has taken a massive decline.

It's a hard pass unless he's willing to take vet minimum. 

14 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

He's washed up honestly unless his knee bounces back next year. 

At best he's a rotational LB who can't cover and doesn't have the same speed pre injury. 

At worst he's a liability.

He wasn't starting and his production has taken a massive decline.

It's a hard pass unless he's willing to take vet minimum. 

He’d pretty much have to take the vet minimum to play here. 

cowboys still owe him 7mil so maybe he will.  

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

He's a very good player he just needs to get there.

Remember it's not about the results. 

Holy shit you're absolutely right, I forgot it's not about the results. Results can be the most misleading thing.

I thought he did well considering the limited time he had to pickup the playbook.  Sure he had problems shedding blockers, he did make some nice stops and while in coverage was in the vicinity to help bring down the ball carrier.  He might not be the player he used to be and yet better than what we have been fielding without Martinez.