SportsWrath

The Official Getty's Gotta Go Thread.

Sephiroth

20 hours ago, jranieli said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/more-changes-coming-for-giants-with-gm-dave-gettleman-likely-in-his-last-year

More changes coming for Giants, with GM Dave Gettleman likely in his last year

Please for the love of God, if Mara tells the new GM he has to keep Judge, someone should send Mara to the looney bin.

Besides we all know that senile old fuck  is gonna hire from within.

Well, the spin is that he's going to retire not get fired, and so you know they've already picked who it's going to be from within. 

This quote from the article also tells me Judge is probably safe as well:

In the building, there would be some strong candidates to replace him, notably VP of football operations and assistant GM Kevin Abrams. Outside the building, the organization will likely look at some candidates with a background in the New England scouting system more in-line with Judge's thinking, along with others.

3 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Please for the love of God, if Mara tells the new GM he has to keep Judge, someone should send Mara to the looney bin.

Besides we all know that senile old fuck  is gonna hire from within.

36 minutes ago, BronxRik said:

Well, the spin is that he's going to retire not get fired, and so you know they've already picked who it's going to be from within. 

While I don't think they should limit their field to in-house, I don't think there's a problem if you have a capable candidate in the building.    I know the record doesn't reflect it but I believe this team has performed better than prior years and a GM who's already in the building probably has a much better idea on what to do (getting rid of underperformers) than a guy coming from outside.   

30 minutes ago, BronxRik said:

What exactly is "Judge's line of thinking?"  "Wait a year to fire your inept OC," or "play Oshane Ximines over Markus Golden?"

Actually, it's probably "burn all your timeouts in the first quarter." 

7 hours ago, BronxRik said:

7 hours ago, Herc said:

Internal candidates.  Classic 

Yeah I read that as well Rik.  Mara needs to be keel hauled.  Looks like I won't be watching seriously for another three years at least.  This hearkens back to the Dave Brown years redux.  Have absolutely no faith in Baby Mara and his bullshit.

So after DG is gone as GM let's look at the state he's left the team in;

Cap Hell - the 2022 cap is set at 208 million, next year the Giants only have 43 players on the roster accounting for 206 million.

Oline still I shambles - We have Thomas and that's it, we still have to find four starters maybe three if Gates can somehow come back from that injury. 

QB doubts - Jones hasn't developed with a shit Oline and even shittier OC, and he's probably going to be a FA after next year, not to mention he might never finish a season healthy. 

No pass rush - Ojulari is the only threat and he is a rookie, Williams is laughing his way to the bank and Sexy Dexy isn't a pressure maker. 

No LBs - Martinez is gone after next season, who's the next guy up? 

Skill positions a big IF - Barkley probably never returns to form, Shepard can't stay on as the field, Engram is a bust, Toney can't stay on the field, and Golladay is probably wishing he didn't choose NY where careers go to die. Bradberry might be a one year wonder, Jackson's hurt, no other DB has stepped up and the only guy in the secondary with a damn is McKinney.

MVP - when the only consistently good player on your team is the kicker you know the team is in a bad way, but on that note Gano for MVP dudes a machine. 

34 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Cap Hell - the 2022 cap is set at 208 million, next year the Giants only have 43 players on the roster accounting for 206 million.

Oline still I shambles - We have Thomas and that's it, we still have to find four starters maybe three if Gates can somehow come back from that injury. 

QB doubts - Jones hasn't developed with a shit Oline and even shittier OC, and he's probably going to be a FA after next year, not to mention he might never finish a season healthy. 

No pass rush - Ojulari is the only threat and he is a rookie, Williams is laughing his way to the bank and Sexy Dexy isn't a pressure maker. 

Skill positions a big IF - Barkley probably never returns to form, Shepard can't stay on as the field, Engram is a bust, Toney can't stay on the field, and Golladay is probably wishing he didn't choose NY where careers go to die. Bradberry might be a one year wonder, Jackson's hurt, no other DB has stepped up and the only guy in the secondary with a damn is McKinney.

MVP - when the only consistently good player on your team is the kicker you know the team is in a bad way, but on that note Gano for MVP dudes a machine. 

Don’t forget, a head coach who can’t coach. 

9 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

It's almost like we should have traded some bloated contracts at the deadline to make it a more palatable place for the next front office. But hey, Saquon looks awesome with his 40 yards per game and Bradberry only kind of got burned this past weekend, and we did score 9 points, so there's that.

7 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

It's almost like we should have traded some bloated contracts at the deadline to make it a more palatable place for the next front office. But hey, Saquon looks awesome with his 40 yards per game and Bradberry only kind of got burned this past weekend, and we did score 9 points, so there's that.

The problem is which team is going to take these contracts?

If anything we would have to trade for example Bradberry and picks to a team just for them to take on his contract.

Like Leonard Williams, I thought that the Giants would of moved him at the trade deadline, some contender looking for a IDL guy.

Then I realized they would have to eat 20+ million on cap space.

Which team even has that now? Lol 

Getty the gift that keeps on giving.

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

The problem is which team is going to take these contracts?

If anything we would have to trade for example Bradberry and picks to a team just for them to take on his contract.

Like Leonard Williams, I thought that the Giants would of moved him at the trade deadline, some contender looking for a IDL guy.

Then I realized they would have to eat 20+ million on cap space.

Which team even has that now? Lol 

Getty the gift that keeps on giving.

If our front office hadn't been fighting for their lives, we probably could have found some takers, though admittedly at a low price.  It's why I said after the Rams and Cowboys' games that we needed to cut bait with Getty, promote Abrams as interim GM (only interim, to be clear... he's not the future) and trade away as many of these big, underperforming contracts as we can.  The Saquons, Bradberrys, Golladays, Engrams, Slaytons, etc. of the team could probably net you a few third-rounders, and while that's not "value," in the grand scheme of things those guys aren't part of the future anyway (next year is a wash with our cap situation and the fact that we don't have the front office in place). I honestly don't believe in any of those guys... the franchise needs a fresh start. 

I think there are teams that would have been interested in all those players.  The Ravens would love to have a Bradberry right now.  Green Bay had interest in both Slayton and Engram if you believe the chatter.  Saquon is still a name;  there would have been a taker for him. 

Instead, we kept two guys in Getty and Judge that aren't going to be here anyway, we got no extra draft capital, and we're stuck with a roster of underperforming or injured players.  It's an even less palatable place for any good GM to land. 

As usual, we've somehow taken a bad situation and made it worse.  

2 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

If our front office hadn't been fighting for their lives, we probably could have found some takers, though admittedly at a low price.  It's why I said after the Rams and Cowboys' games that we needed to cut bait with Getty, promote Abrams as interim GM (only interim, to be clear... he's not the future) and trade away as many of these big, underperforming contracts as we can.  The Saquons, Bradberrys, Golladays, Engrams, Slaytons, etc. of the team could probably net you a few third-rounders, and while that's not "value," in the grand scheme of things those guys aren't part of the future anyway (next year is a wash with our cap situation and the fact that we don't have the front office in place). I honestly don't believe in any of those guys... the franchise needs a fresh start. 

I think there are teams that would have been interested in all those players.  The Ravens would love to have a Bradberry right now.  Green Bay had interest in both Slayton and Engram if you believe the chatter.  Saquon is still a name;  there would have been a taker for him. 

Instead, we kept two guys in Getty and Judge that aren't going to be here anyway, we got no extra draft capital, and we're stuck with a roster of underperforming or injured players.  It's an even less palatable place for any good GM to land. 

Buffalo for sure for Barkley.  But yeah if we had a new gm this year those guys would be gone, just like gettleman traded all those guys when he came in 

On 12/6/2021 at 1:20 PM, BlueInCanada said:

Go back to the days of Dave Jennings in the late 70's.  As the Giants punter he was better than Sean Landetta in the late 80's early 90's.  Jennings was a machine.  Pathetic Giants teams though.

6 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

As a new boss or supervisor, you are always taking over for someone else's fuck up.  It is just a matter of how much the predecessor fucked up and how much time the new person has in fixing the fuck up.  The new GM will have to sit pat and pay a bunch of scrubs mostly to get their asses beat the next two years.  Knowing that... this is the perfect environment to nurture an effective offensive line.  Just be given carte blanche to tell Mara/Tisch to fuck off (I know with that creep Mara that is asking a lot... maybe too much) for two years as you build a solid foundation.  They will reopen the cap eventually and that is when you continue to tread lightly and wisely.  Don't pounce.  One thing the winning Giants learned was not to overpay for the guys already here.  Not to get locked into that group think of thinking that the wheel was invented here and nowhere else.  These new Giants need to relearn that lesson.

3 hours ago, Herc said:

Buffalo for sure for Barkley.  But yeah if we had a new gm this year those guys would be gone, just like gettleman traded all those guys when he came in 

For sure man.  You are not going to go deep into the playoffs or win all of the marbles with any of these guys I believe.  Jones included.

Yep. If you look at this roster, there's what, maybe 4-5 keepers at most?

Toney
Andrew Thomas
Dexter Lawrence
Ojulari
Xavier McKinney

Trade Saquon too of you can; that'll free up $7-8M in cap next year.

I love how we're paying Leonard Williams $25M, and he has 5 sacks. Gettleman trades away Markus Golden, and now he's on Arizona making $2M, and he has 10 sacks.

I also love how Gettleman let Zeitler, our best lineman go, and he's having a great year for Baltimore, and our current starting guard is practice squad material, Will Hernandez, plus Nate Solder is starting at RT because 3rd rd draft pick Matt Peart really is somehow worse.

Now if you look back at the 2018-2019 drafts, the 2018 draft class is looking entirely like busts.... except for BJ Hill who's an okay rotation defender, but no longer on this roster. The 2019 draft minus Dexter Lawrence is a bust.

26 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Toney
Andrew Thomas
Dexter Lawrence
Ojulari
Xavier McKinney

I love how we're paying Leonard Williams $25M, and he has 5 sacks. Gettleman trades away Markus Golden, and now he's on Arizona making $2M, and he has 10 sacks.

I also love how Gettleman let Zeitler, our best lineman go, and he's having a great year for Baltimore, and our current starting guard is practice squad material, Will Hernandez, plus Nate Solder is starting at RT because 3rd rd draft pick Matt Peart really is somehow worse.

Now if you look back at the 2018-2019 drafts, the 2018 draft class is looking entirely like busts.... except for BJ Hill who's an okay rotation defender, but no longer on this roster. The 2019 draft minus Dexter Lawrence is a bust.

I was very upset with Markus Golden left the team... the dude is a baller.

On 12/10/2021 at 9:39 AM, mastershake said:

Toney
Andrew Thomas
Dexter Lawrence
Ojulari
Xavier McKinney

On 12/10/2021 at 10:03 AM, Nas said:

I was very upset with Markus Golden left the team... the dude is a baller.

Just start over from the first level.  There is really no "fixing" the current roster IMHO.