SportsWrath

Do the Giants have a Saquon Barkley problem?

Sephiroth

On 9/19/2021 at 7:07 PM, Treehugger said:

He was tiptoeing into contact all day. He even went in backwards on one play.

Not gonna lie, he sucks right now.  There was one play where he had a hole and maybe a 2-3 yard gain; instead he tried to bounce it right and lost 2 yards. 

On 9/20/2021 at 8:59 PM, Sephiroth said:

Not gonna lie, he sucks right now.  There was one play where he had a hole and maybe a 2-3 yard gain; instead he tried to bounce it right and lost 2 yards. 

He has been giving me DFNG flashbacks every time he touches the ball.  It is time to have a Herschel Walker trade with him while he still has value.  

15 hours ago, NeMesiS said:

Interesting video on Saquon... 

Nice pickup Nemesis.  I was watching the Washington game as an old guy who played in high school.  I saw holes where he would have gotten probably 3-5 yards that he cut back on into the teeth of the defense.  To me he reminds me of a 3rd down back like Tony Galbreath was in trying to hit the home run.  It is not good.  The Giants would have been better off bringing in Penney during the fourth quarter than Barkley.  Guy has been running laterally since college.  He probably did it in high school ball.  Guys are too good at the professional level not to guard against the cut back consistently.  Barkley has to develop vision he never really had and he has to get over being hurt.  Tall orders.  Never pick a running back high when you can get an OL instead.  RB's get worn down too easily.

1 hour ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

Nice pickup Nemesis.  I was watching the Washington game as an old guy who played in high school.  I saw holes where he would have gotten probably 3-5 yards that he cut back on into the teeth of the defense.  To me he reminds me of a 3rd down back like Tony Galbreath was in trying to hit the home run.  It is not good.  The Giants would have been better off bringing in Penney during the fourth quarter than Barkley.  Guy has been running laterally since college.  He probably did it in high school ball.  Guys are too good at the professional level not to guard against the cut back consistently.  Barkley has to develop vision he never really had and he has to get over being hurt.  Tall orders.  Never pick a running back high when you can get an OL instead.  RB's get worn down too easily.

I'm a Saquon guy. But I had a funny feeling this guy wasn't going to do well in this offense. If you look at all of the RB that has had success in this offense. ( John Riggins, Emmitt Smith, Larry Johnson, Marshall Faulk and Z Elliot) These were North and South runners. They also trusted the system and were patient that the big play was eventually going to come. Norv Turner once laughed when he heard the opposing Defensive coordinator admit it didn't feel like Emmitt Smith had ran for 165 yards against them.  And you will think Saquon was made for the offense. The guy is 235lbs with a 4.39 speed. 

I mean, I was excited to see what Saquon was going to do. I honestly thought for sure he was going to fighting to 2000 yard season. But that's if Jason Garrett can teach him to stop dancing and hit the hole. to stop trying to hit the home run and eat up those yards. 

I like Jason Garrett... I like his version of the Air Coryell offense. I just don't think we have the OL, and TE to run it properly.  And by the looks of it... RB too. Looking back, we should have hired Eric Bieniemy. Our roster look more suited to run a west coast offense than Coryell. 

This is why I'm completely puzzled to the fact DG didn't draft not a single OL in this year draft. Especially since this years draft had the most talented in the OL position in nearly 8 years. And since DG made an emphasis to fix the OL.  

1 hour ago, NeMesiS said:

I'm a Saquon guy. But I had a funny feeling this guy wasn't going to do well in this offense. If you look at all of the RB that has had success in this offense. ( John Riggins, Emmitt Smith, Larry Johnson, Marshall Faulk and Z Elliot) These were North and South runners. They also trusted the system and were patient that the big play was eventually going to come. Norv Turner once laughed when he heard the opposing Defensive coordinator admit it didn't feel like Emmitt Smith had ran for 165 yards against them.  And you will think Saquon was made for the offense. The guy is 235lbs with a 4.39 speed. 

I mean, I was excited to see what Saquon was going to do. I honestly thought for sure he was going to fighting to 2000 yard season. But that's if Jason Garrett can teach him to stop dancing and hit the hole. to stop trying to hit the home run and eat up those yards. 

I like Jason Garrett... I like his version of the Air Coryell offense. I just don't think we have the OL, and TE to run it properly.  And by the looks of it... RB too. Looking back, we should have hired Eric Bieniemy. Our roster look more suited to run a west coast offense than Coryell. 

This is why I'm completely puzzled to the fact DG didn't draft not a single OL in this year draft. Especially since this years draft had the most talented in the OL position in nearly 8 years. And since DG made an emphasis to fix the OL.  

Looks like he trusted free agency to fix the OL.  For most of free agency you are overpaying for other people's problems.  :laugh:

On 9/16/2021 at 9:00 AM, BlueInCanada said:

These articles have been coming out since we drafted him.

It's pretty simple.

Barkley bounces back this year I'm sure the Giants offer him a contract like Jones got in Green Bay, a nice chunk of change but reasonable for both sides.

He will either sign it or walk. 

Barkley doesn't bounce back then the Giants probably offer him a one year prove it contact. 

Keep in mind the Giants are reportedly in cap hell next season, already projected to be over the cap by 20 million or so since we had to convert many players salaries into signing bonuses.

We are going to be losing some players next offseason and Barkley may just be a cap causality regardless of what he does.

From what I've read, it takes a bit longer to bounce back... Next year is the "show me" year for him... I expect him to be mediocre at best this year tbh.  

2 hours ago, Nas said:

From what I've read, it takes a bit longer to bounce back... Next year is the "show me" year for him... I expect him to be mediocre at best this year tbh.  

The problem isn't his physical performance though, it's mental. The holes are there he just doesn't hit them.

5 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

The problem isn't his physical performance though, it's mental. The holes are there he just doesn't hit them.

This... he goes on guts and instincts.  You can clearly see him ignoring holes with his head down.

18 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I think those go hand 'n hand though... Looking back, taking a RB with the 2nd pick might've not been the wisest decision... 

• 2 weeks later...