SportsWrath

Could the draft class have had a worse start?

BlueInCanada

I mean I'm not saying these guys will be busts but a very important rookie class is having a very rough start to year one.

Tooney; Who the fuck knows what's going on this "Situation" reason for his absence and any lack of detail about why he hasn't' taken a single practice rep all minicamp is kind of strange and he's expected to be put on the IR.

Ojualri; On load management or something, but the only one expected to start and play week 1.

Robsinson; Core muscle surgery, out three to eight weeks, A guy who was expected to compete and probably play in the slot, doesnt even touch the field till probably week 5.

Elerson Smith; Hamstring injury which happened during one of Judge's famous "Conditioning/punishment laps" around the track, might not even suit up the first week or two.

Brightwell; Probably the sixth best RB on the team behind, Barkley, Booker, Clements, Penny, Platz"The Gummer". Might not even make the practice squad because he sucks on special teams apparently.

Williams; Only other one not injured.

Brightwell sucks on special teams? Weird, it's the whole reason he was drafted. Well that could explain the rush on special teamers a couple weeks ago.

I generally don't expect much out of rookies anyway so I'm not very concerned. When we get some career ending injuries or we see them just completely suck on the field, then I'll worry. 

2 hours ago, Tempest said:

How is this class more important or less important than any other draft class in the history of the NFL draft?  Who cares how they start, lets see where they finish.

I would argue, that if you are a winning team in the NFL, you already have a roster in place that can win, a draft class just helps bolster it.

A team like the Giants that haven't gotten over the hump of losing/mediocrity needs every bit of help from it's rookies and doesn't have the same depth compared to say a team like the Buccaneers/Chiefs who don't need as much out of the rookies day one.

And I also said "I'm not calling any of these guys busts" just pointing out the fact for the first few weeks of the season most of the draft class is not even going to suit up which is a pretty rough for a team like the Giants who need all the help they can get. All of these guys can turn out to be pro-bowl players or multi-year starters, but sitting on the sidelines the first few weeks of your rookie year doesnt help them, or the team either.

Also I'd still like to know what's going on with Tooney lol

I will reserve judgment until regular season games...but Toney's absence is annoying at this point, not worrisome.  Wasn't expecting anything from 3rd round or lower anyhow.

Free agents are vets.  Don't care what they do in preseason...but time is getting short.  They best get ready

9 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

I would argue, that if you are a winning team in the NFL, you already have a roster in place that can win, a draft class just helps bolster it.

A team like the Giants that haven't gotten over the hump of losing/mediocrity needs every bit of help from it's rookies and doesn't have the same depth compared to say a team like the Buccaneers/Chiefs who don't need as much out of the rookies day one.

And I also said "I'm not calling any of these guys busts" just pointing out the fact for the first few weeks of the season most of the draft class is not even going to suit up which is a pretty rough for a team like the Giants who need all the help they can get. All of these guys can turn out to be pro-bowl players or multi-year starters, but sitting on the sidelines the first few weeks of your rookie year doesnt help them, or the team either.

Also I'd still like to know what's going on with Tooney lol

Haven't been a winning team for some time now.  I think it is on the veterans to lift the team over the hump.  Giants spent a lot of capital bringing veterans in on both sides of the ball.  Rookies are going to spend the season just figuring out the game with the veterans helping the process.  It will be Golladay not Toney who makes the difference this season.

13 minutes ago, gmenroc said:

I think in this day and age, if your 1st rounders don't see the field early and significantly, like lots of snaps within first couple weeks...their first round grade becomes highly questionable...as does your scouting dept

I think that idea comes from the amount of information available now to fans and when it becomes available.  

Aaron Robinson looks to buck common wisdom by "making the club in the tub." 

Do you know who isn't in the tub?  Wyatt Davis, the guard I wanted with that pick who's gotten the highest preseason rating of any rookie o-lineman. 

But they, gotta have that 6th corner. 

davis.jpg?w=560&ssl=1

33 minutes ago, mastershake said:

The big veteran FAs Golladay, Adoree Jackson, and Rudolph are all hurt, and now it looks like Engram is hurt as well.

With how everyone feels about Engram shluldnt we be celebrating the addition by subtraction?

2 hours ago, Joe Guyden said:

Lolol.  We haven’t even played one regular season snap yet. 

Not for nothing Pdub, but I've been hearing for the past ten years about how "preseason doesn't matter."  "Don't worry about the give up draw, it's preseason!"  "Of course the o-oline is shitty, it's preseason!"  "Pass rushers aren't ready yet, it's preseason!"

Historically, those things all continued to suck for us in the regular season.  Preseason is a dress rehearsal for the regular season... if your dress rehearsal sucks, you SHOULD be getting worried. 

I think "hey, it's preseason" is the drum you beat when your team is winning 31-0 in those games, not when your starters are getting 2+ sacks every quarter and producing 30 yards of offense. 

6 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

Not for nothing Pdub, but I've been hearing for the past ten years about how "preseason doesn't matter."  "Don't worry about the give up draw, it's preseason!"  "Of course the o-oline is shitty, it's preseason!"  "Pass rushers aren't ready yet, it's preseason!"

Historically, those things all continued to suck for us in the regular season.  Preseason is a dress rehearsal for the regular season... if your dress rehearsal sucks, you SHOULD be getting worried. 

I think "hey, it's preseason" is the drum you beat when your team is winning 31-0 in those games, not when your starters are getting 2+ sacks every quarter and producing 30 yards of offense. 

Ive been hearing it for the past 20plus years. 

Preseason wins and losses don't mean anything to me.  Individual performance tho has some level of indication of things to come.

Jones throwing a pick in the few snaps he actually played.  Offensive line playing poorly when starting against the Patriots.  What's gonna happen when the Washington D Line is our opponent?

Not a death sentence, not gonna lose every game...but when there doesn't seem to be much correction to the issues we and the experts can clearly see...it doesn't invoke much confidence.