Jump to content
SportsWrath

Jim fassel passed away, age 71


Recommended Posts

He was the first coach the team had when I started watching the Giants.

He got Collins and the team to a SB when no one thought we would make it past the first round or even make the playoffs, and was the best at handling the NY media. 

Good coach, and an even better man from all reports.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

“Put your chips in or take your chips out. This team is going to the playoffs” I hope they put this quote on his tombstone.

Good times. RIP brother. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, UK-Giantsfan said:

that 41-0 v the Vikes in the NFC Champ Game will live in the memory for a very long time...... that's for sure !

One of the best games I've attended.  Maybe the best. 

RIP Fassel.  Hope you made it to the Big Boat in the Sky with High End Hookers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah he went suddenly.  Fassel definitely deserved another shot as a head coach in the NFL.  I think he did a great job with the team that he had and I also think he played a bigger part in developing the offensive mind of Sean Payton than most would give credit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Tempest said:

Yeah he went suddenly.  Fassel definitely deserved another shot as a head coach in the NFL.  I think he did a great job with the team that he had and I also think he played a bigger part in developing the offensive mind of Sean Payton than most would give credit.

Didnt he snatch the clipboard from Sean Payton’s hands?    Sean then went to the cowgirls and study under the tuna?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TrashTalker92 said:

Didnt he snatch the clipboard from Sean Payton’s hands?    Sean then went to the cowgirls and study under the tuna?  

Yeah at that time he had to.  That year the Giants offensive line was playing poorly and couldn't run the plays Payton was calling.  Fassel was back in the fire at that point as well.  Sean Payton did coach under Parcells later on with the Cowboys.  I've never seen any real evidence of influence from Parcells on Payton.  There is no emphasis on defense, team discipline, and his offense is built on speed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Herc said:

Our offense went bonkers as soon as he took over the play calling.  Then the niners game happened...

I thought he got the most out of the players he had on offense, which many times consisted of some mediocre to only okay talent. He was dealt a shitty QB crop... Dave Brown, Danny Kanell, Kent Graham, Kerry Collins, but made the most of it, and even helped turn Kerry Collin's career around and make him a solid starting QB in the league.

He also took a fledgling Toomer and Barber and helped make them into viable players (they didn't really turn it on until 99 and 00 respectively). He never cured Tiki's fumble problem but he did demonstrate how he could be an every down 1,000 yard plus back.

The 49ers playoff game makes me cringe but overall I look to the Fassell years as positive. Certainly much better than the Dan Reeves era.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

I thought he got the most out of the players he had on offense, which many times consisted of some mediocre to only okay talent. He was dealt a shitty QB crop... Dave Brown, Danny Kanell, Kent Graham, Kerry Collins, but made the most of it, and even helped turn Kerry Collin's career around and make him a solid starting QB in the league.

He also took a fledgling Toomer and Barber and helped make them into viable players (they didn't really turn it on until 99 and 00 respectively). He never cured Tiki's fumble problem but he did demonstrate how he could be an every down 1,000 yard plus back.

The 49ers playoff game makes me cringe but overall I look to the Fassell years as positive. Certainly much better than the Dan Reeves era.

Same, I was very against his firing at the time.  4 playoff trips in 7 seasons, one nfc title, one coach of the year award.  1997 we win the division with kannel at qb and our fb as our leading rusher.  Then in 2003 coming off a playoff appearance the entire team gets hurt and they fire him.  Bad decision that worked out for us bc his replacement was good 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Herc said:

Same, I was very against his firing at the time.  4 playoff trips in 7 seasons, one nfc title, one coach of the year award.  1997 we win the division with kannel at qb and our fb as our leading rusher.  Then in 2003 coming off a playoff appearance the entire team gets hurt and they fire him.  Bad decision that worked out for us bc his replacement was good 

Pretty big roster turn over as well then with coaching staff leaving as well. 

You usually don't keep many head coaches in that situation.  

Wasn't really a good or bad decision just a football one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Pretty big roster turn over as well then with coaching staff leaving as well. 

You usually don't keep many head coaches in that situation.  

Wasn't really a good or bad decision just a football one. 

Yeah, the post 2003 giants season is really not the scenario where NFL teams keep their coaches of 5+ years...i.e. trying to start from scratch with a new QB, 12 loss season, plus having to redo the defense as well (the defense was lousy in 2003 as well). Most of the time, NFL coaches don't survive that scenario. You just move on, even if they're an okay coach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...