SportsWrath

Not gonna lie, this draft was pretty disappointing.

Sephiroth

The only thing I worry about with the Oline is that it improved after Judge took over when he fired Colombo. Obviously Judge won't be the Oline coach this season. Hopefully Sale will be able to carry on what Judge started. I think the best we can hope for is a serviceable line for a few seasons until these guys are together long enough to gel. Eventually Jones will be taking the line out for 72oz. steaks and buying them Rolexes. 

11 minutes ago, BronxRik said:

The only thing I worry about with the Oline is that it improved after Judge took over when he fired Colombo. Obviously Judge won't be the Oline coach this season. Hopefully Sale will be able to carry on what Judge started. I think the best we can hope for is a serviceable line for a few seasons until these guys are together long enough to gel. Eventually Jones will be taking the line out for 72oz. steaks and buying them Rolexes. 

The Giants OL collectively played OKAY down the stretch vs bad teams (eg the NFC East) plus a below average Seattle Defense. But anytime they played half decent or good defenses, they got clowned.

Andrew Thomas and Gates were the only two of five who demonstrated consistency and improvement down the stretch. I actually thought Peart and Lemuiex regressed a little versus their flashes mid season, and Will Hernandez is still a bust.

DG and co are stuck with Skinny Buffalo syndrome. We're so starved for a good OL, that anytime we see the OL put up a D grade performance (versus their typical average F grade), we salivate as if it's the best thing ever.

We're going into this season relying on 3 out of 5 guys to turn it on and figure it out, with no depth / plan B behind them (Solder sucks). It could work but it could also be a disaster and typical giants OL of the last 7 years.

22 minutes ago, BronxRik said:

That's my hope.

Competent coaching improved the Oline, most specifically Thomas, once Colombo was gone you seen Thomas really improve his play.

Sale is supposed to know his shit, and Flaterhty is back in the building as a consultant.

Of the 45 sacks, PFF has credited 27 of those too the starting 5 guys on the Oline. Gates surprisingly going the entire year without being credited for allowing a single sack. (LANK)

The other 18 sacks came from the RBs missing blocks, and Jones just having the worst pocket awareness and internal clock in the NFL.

If we can clean up the Oline and get Jones looking at his check down options quicker, since we have an absolute spoil of riches of guys who can get open quickly (Barkley, Shep, Toney) and just big body guys like Golladay and Rupdolph to haul in what I used to call Eli's "FUCK IT AND CHUCK IT" passes, we should see an vast improvement in the offense.

3 minutes ago, mastershake said:

There are many reasons to be concerned about this OL but here are some reasons for hope...

Honestly, going with my link above.

The fact that they ONLY gave up 25-30 sacks is a fucking miracle.

2 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

That's my hope.

Competent coaching improved the Oline, most specifically Thomas, once Colombo was gone you seen Thomas really improve his play.

Sale is supposed to know his shit, and Flaterhty is back in the building as a consultant.

Of the 45 sacks, PFF has credited 27 of those too the starting 5 guys on the Oline. Gates surprisingly going the entire year without being credited for allowing a single sack. (LANK)

The other 18 sacks came from the RBs missing blocks, and Jones just having the worst pocket awareness and internal clock in the NFL.

If we can clean up the Oline and get Jones looking at his check down options quicker, since we have an absolute spoil of riches of guys who can get open quickly (Barkley, Shep, Toney) and just big body guys like Golladay and Rupdolph to haul in what I used to call Eli's "FUCK IT AND CHUCK IT" passes, we should see an vast improvement in the offense.

Yeah the problem isn't Daniel Jones with pocket awareness or internal clock.  There is a reason why the Giants went with getting more weapons this offseason instead of getting better blockers.

10 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Yeah the problem isn't Daniel Jones with pocket awareness or internal clock.  There is a reason why the Giants went with getting more weapons this offseason instead of getting better blockers.

Whhhhaaaa?

This has been a problem for Jones since his rookie year, he holds the ball far to long and doesnt dump it off. 

Here's a good article about it; https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/nfl/giants/.amp/big-blue-plus/new-york-giants-stressing-pocket-awareness-with-daniel-jones

He's had time to throw but he fails to make the small check down reads or runs himself into pressure. 

As you said there is a reason they got him more weapons because he needs to take a step forward with his QB play and he cant do it with Slayton and Gallman as the playmakers. 

This year inst banking on the Oline it's banking on Jones who could be looking for a new team on 2022 of he doesn't improve his play.

18 hours ago, JayD said:

Far as I’m concerned, and I know you guys have been chomping at the bit to get my insight :unsure: lol this draft was a home run. 

I don’t really care much what happens after the third round, it’s rare anything comes from the guys past it. All three look like they could develop into good players. 

Sure I would have liked to see a offensive lineman in the top 3, but last year we went heavy Oline in the draft. At some point you have to go with what you have. 

I think some of you are underestimating the improvements the line made during the coarse of last year. Most of these guys are really young, and I see no reason to believe that won’t continue. I can see them being at least average by seasons end. Bottom line, we really needed play makers. Between FA and this draft, NTM Barkely coming back we certainly have some now. 

Have a great slot guy. We have a couple deep threats, and that should back defenses off enough to run the ball effectively. Remember we were just a few dropped passes away from winning some of those games last year. I can see a 10-11 game win record. In this division that should be more than enough to earn a playoff spot. 

Spot on, Jay.   The notion that some rookie OL is going to come in and start makes zero sense.... we have the guys already.    

11 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Whhhhaaaa?

This has been a problem for Jones since his rookie year, he holds the ball far to long and doesnt dump it off. 

Here's a good article about it; https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/nfl/giants/.amp/big-blue-plus/new-york-giants-stressing-pocket-awareness-with-daniel-jones

He's had time to throw but he fails to make the small check down reads or runs himself into pressure. 

As you said there is a reason they got him more weapons because he needs to take a step forward with his QB play and he cant do it with Slayton and Gallman as the playmakers. 

This year inst banking on the Oline it's banking on Jones who could be looking for a new team on 2022 of he doesn't improve his play.

Yeah Jones biggest problem is a lack of feel for pressure. He's just oblivious half the time that there is anyone around him. Some guys have that internal clock or eyes in the back of their head. Daniel hasn't developed that yet. 

24 minutes ago, Virginia Giant said:

Yeah Jones biggest problem is a lack of feel for pressure. He's just oblivious half the time that there is anyone around him. Some guys have that internal clock or eyes in the back of their head. Daniel hasn't developed that yet. 

hey, the fearless stand in the pocket for days approach worked for Kurt Warner!... lets get DJ an Orlando Pace for his blind side and we're set!

43 minutes ago, Virginia Giant said:

A part of me really wonders if the giants don't go after Rodgers.  Maybe it was all in Gettys plans on draft night. 

The thing is AR is 38.    Is whatever price you're going to pay for him going to be worth the ROI?

2 hours ago, Nas said:

The thing is AR is 38.    Is whatever price you're going to pay for him going to be worth the ROI?

I'm mostly kidding. But I would have the years of Aaron Rodgers at pretty much any price,  if the rest of the team is playoff caliber. 

6 hours ago, Virginia Giant said:

A part of me really wonders if the giants don't go after Rodgers.  Maybe it was all in Gettys plans on draft night. 

At the risk of beating a dead horse to death, no way Rodgers comes here behind this line. 25 year old Rodgers? Maybe. I mean, I think our line will come together if Sale continues what Judge took over last season, but as it stands right now, a 38 year old MVP caliber QB on the verge of retirement wouldn't risk being turned into a vegetable. 

4 hours ago, Nas said:

Also he's a 100% punk bitch. I don't want that crybaby on this team; he'll be asking for Judge to be fired by the second preseason game.

On 5/2/2021 at 7:13 PM, BlueInCanada said:

Honestly, going with my link above.

The fact that they ONLY gave up 25-30 sacks is a fucking miracle.

Keep in mind Daniel Jones is mobile QB. If he wasn't they would have given up about 50 plus.  

8 hours ago, BronxRik said:

At the risk of beating a dead horse to death, no way Rodgers comes here behind this line. 25 year old Rodgers? Maybe. I mean, I think our line will come together if Sale continues what Judge took over last season, but as it stands right now, a 38 year old MVP caliber QB on the verge of retirement wouldn't risk being turned into a vegetable. 

Rodgers actually requested to be traded to the Giants (among others).

8 hours ago, NeMesiS said:

A total F in my book... This draft was deep in OL talent. Especially round 1 -3 ... disgusting we didn't draft not one OL...  

It was the most glaring weakness on the team and we didn't address it at all. Very disappointing.

I don't think OL is even the weakest position group on the offense. That would be the receivers, then TEs, and then - arguably - quarterback. 

The way you guys feel about the lack of OL picks this year is how I felt about the lack of WRs last year. 

On 5/2/2021 at 10:36 PM, BlueInCanada said:

Whhhhaaaa?

Yeah I'm ok with disagreeing with Pat on that too.  Also note the irony we are complaining about Jones not throwing to his check down while Manning was throwing  to his check down.  Last season Giants never got all their weapons the field healthy after week 2.  Shepard out 4 weeks and he is the check down guy for Jones and he never connected the same way with anyone else (Tate).

4 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

I don't think OL is even the weakest position group on the offense. That would be the receivers, then TEs, and then - arguably - quarterback. 

The way you guys feel about the lack of OL picks this year is how I felt about the lack of WRs last year. 

Oh don't get me wrong, there's plenty of suck to go around on that side of the ball... makes you wonder why we more or less ignored it after the first pick. I was pounding the table for them to grab Tremble or Josh Palmer in the 3rd.

That being said, we had the 31st ranked O-line last year and jettisoned our best player in that unit. Adding your 6th corner isn't going to help evaluate your franchise (or not) QB and honestly, that should be the focus of this upcoming season. I don't think any Giants fan wants another year of "well, Daniel Jones might be the answer, but with a 36% pressure rate and 45 sacks it's difficult to evaluate whether or not he's the man in NY."

Unfortunately though, it looks like that's what we're getting.

9 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

Rodgers actually requested to be traded to the Giants (among others).

Really? Shows you what I know.

I only knew about the 9'ers, Broncos and Raiders.