SportsWrath

Draft day thoughts

Tempest

1 minute ago, BlueInCanada said:

I guess they figure if the Oline is shit we can atleast make sure the other team doesn't score any points as well.

It's a bold move Cotton let's see if it pans out.

I've never been as satisfied on paper with every position group on this team other than the OL right now, lol.

2 minutes ago, mastershake said:

I've never been as satisfied on paper with every position group on this team other than the OL right now, lol.

Im willing to bet we bring in some vet guard or tackle after the draft.

Post draft cuts usually have some names that hit the market worth a damn.

Maybe a package with some of the extra picks we got for a trade as well.

But they are rolling the dice.

I love it.

Really is a make or break year for the franchise.

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

Man I would hate working with that Roseman douchebag. Ooh, fistbumps all around! 

I know what you mean, but "fuck the other team" isn't really a good way to run YOUR team.

In related news, Daniel Jones just took his fourth sack this draft. I guess the plan is "let Jones get killed back there."

The Giants will add oline. It’ll be in the 6th or 7th. Which is fine considering they used the majority of their picks last year on the offensive line and there’s like a dozen other positions to look at.

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

I know what you mean, but "fuck the other team" isn't really a good way to run YOUR team.

In related news, Daniel Jones just took his fourth sack this draft. I guess the plan is "let Jones get killed back there."

Yeah, I'm hoping that f you element to it was just a bonus.

Still good names left. Trey Smith, Deonte Brown, Sage Surrat, Marquez Stevenson, Marvin Wilson, Tamorrion Terry, Shaka Toney, Quincy Roche, a bunch of quality RBs. I'd be happy with any of those guys.

No more Edge and CBs though, please.

8 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

Still good names left. Trey Smith, Deonte Brown, Sage Surrat, Marquez Stevenson, Marvin Wilson, Tamorrion Terry, Shaka Toney, Quincy Roche, a bunch of quality RBs. I'd be happy with any of those guys.

At this point in the draft just go bpa.  If there is another edge they have a 3rd round grade on vs a rb they view as a 6th rounder I say grab thst edge. 

Liking his Ellerson kid...effort is there...ability is there.  Every flaw I see listed stems from adding a bit more power/strength in his legs...but on the right path already having added 50 lbs from freshman year.

A good strength and conditioning program could put a nice shine on this guy.

And yeah..at this point...I would love to look at quality special teams guys to wrap draft up...then keep an eye out for veteran cuts.  I could see us signing a veteran to plug the o line this year and really focus on it next offseason with several early picks.

Brightwell signed with Arizona out of St. Frances Academy in Pennsylvania, and he played in all 13 games as a reserve as a true freshman (no offensive statistics, two special teams tackles). He got his first carry in 2018 (91 carries, 525 yards, 5.8 average, three touchdowns; two receptions, nine yards) and then received two starts as a junior (66 carries, 390 yards, 5.9 average, five touchdowns; four receptions, 59 yards, 14.8 average, one touchdown in 11 games). Brightwell started all five games for the Wildcats in 2020, garnering honorable mention All-Pac-12 honors (88 carries, 390 yards, 4.4 average, one touchdown; 13 receptions, 53 yards, 4.1 average) despite fumbling five times on the year (losing three). -- by Chad Reuter

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Priority free agent
Overview
One-speed runner relying on size, urgency and toughness to make up for a lack of open-field talent. He can hit the edge and turn the corner on counters and bounce-outs, but gets too impatient to cut runs back. Below-average vision diminishes his ability to get the most out of runs, but his loose lower body makes sharp cuts against the grain a successful weapon for him. He's a tough runner, but lacks creativity and contact balance to stand out against others in this class, despite his traits.
Strengths
  • Well-built with desired, proportional frame.
  • Capable of handling inside/outside running duties.
  • Gets enough speed going to turn the outside corner.
  • Has feet to help gather and cut quickly on outside zone carries.
  • Makes sharp cuts with ability to hit steep cutback angles.
  • Runs with urgency and determination.
  • Won't decelerate through line of scrimmage or into contact.
  • Makes level-one tacklers miss with consecutive cut ability.
Weaknesses
  • Running style is charged but lacking rhythm.
  • Would benefit from better patience to keep play-side runs on track.
  • Feel for running lanes is average.
  • Lacks desired short-area burst to rocket past second level.
  • Below-average balance into and through contact to stay upright.
  • Small delay in catch-to-run transition.
  • Shows some confusion over blitz assignments.
Sources Tell Us

"I think he probably gets drafted late because of his size and how hard he runs. I think he's underdeveloped in the passing game but I think he can do it." -- Area scout for NFC team

2 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Or fuck it, let's take a free-agent RB and are fiftieth corner. 

Fuck this draft. 

Some priority FAs I wouldn't mind seeing in blue:

WR - Sage Surrat, Tamorrion Terry, Trevin Grimes

DT - Marvin Wilson

G - Alaric Jackson, Kayode Awosika

RB - Pooka Williams Jr, Jarret Patterson, Trey Ragas

Or you know, five more corners.

Interestingly the jets drafted 5 dbs with 5 out of 6 of their final draft picks, lol. Loading up.

For the giants. I'm fine with the Aaron Robinson pick. You need at least 6-7 good DBs in the NFL these days...the 'rover' safety and slot cb are practically starters and on the field more than half the defensive snaps or more.

Also fine with the Williams pick. Again, any 6th-7th round picks are real longshots anyway.

A big old read from Dan Schneier twitter;

1. It's hard to predict hits/misses (We ALL thought Will Hernandez would be a perennial All Pro), but this was their best draft process since I started studying the #Giants drafts. They went in with a plan to acquire more 2022 draft picks and executed that plan well. In addition to picking up a 2022 1, 3&4, they didn't lose all that much along the way. Toney could've easily been their pick at 11. Azeez could've been the pick at 42 Acquiring future draft capital is almost always good business, but especially true for the #Giants. Why? Judge would prefer only drafting players they've met face to face w/ and he feels confident can fit their culture. In this cycle, that meant only Senior Bowl players But in 2022, the #Giants will likely have access to personal meetings w/ all and it's going to be a larger class. This makes it even more valuable for them to have more 2022 picks as they'll have a clearer picture of the best values at each pick after having met with them.

2. Despite trading back w/ each of their first two picks the #Giants accomplished a lot w/ what they had. TLDR: They added talent to their shallowest position, a unique skill set to the skill group, continued to double down on the analytics-driven approach to pass coverage.

3. On Day 1 the #Giants added offensive elements they didn't have + could stand to benefit from by drafting Toney: Improved forced missed tackles+yards after contact, open-field angle-eliminating burst + the potential to use + have defenses respect more misdirection/motion.

4. On Day 2 the #Giants got the best pure value pick I've maybe ever seen them make and what makes it most exciting is that Azeez Ojulari is 1. A perfect fit for what Patrick Graham wants to do and 2. Drafted at the shallowest position on the roster. They followed this up by continuing to build w/ that NE/BAL/MIA blueprint that coverage is king w/ Aaron Robinson. As I learn more evaluating All-22 for the #Giants and listening to those who know so much more Xs&Os than I ever will, I buy even more into the coverage is king theory on defense. More so, Robinson fits what they want to become: a defense that uses more press-man coverage. He's straight-line fast, lightning-quick to react/recover & tackles incredibly well. I think he's got a really good chance to be a major hit value-wise + major upgrade in the slot And IMO an upgrade in those two areas (press-man in the slot + tackling from that slot or star position) goes a lot further in improving the #Giants defense than it would seem on paper w/ how much of the game now is stopping YAC and how often slot defenders are put in conflict. Thinking back to 2020: The #Giants lost multiple games (DAL, PHI) b/c they didn't have a CB2 who can carry WRs vertically. DC Patrick Graham was brilliant but hamstrung in the coverages he could run. In 2019: Not having a slot CB who could hold up against slot verts killed the #Giants. By adding Adoree + Robinson to Bradberry + Holmes, they're on track to potentially eliminate both of those issues that held back the coverage in some regard. They're also giving an already dangerous defensive play caller (Patrick Graham) a lot more firepower.

5. This was a deep and talented OL class, both at OT and iOL, so it wasn't ideal to fully pass on OL, but sometimes the draft just works out like that. Similar thing happened in 2020 at WR and the #Giants still found a way to set themselves up very nicely at WR for 2021. IDK the future to say that OL will work out in a similar way to WR next year, but the #Giants certainly now have the draft capital to go that route if they want + they'll be able to meet face to face w/ them I wouldn't have taken any OL avail over Toney, Azeez or Robinson.

Overall: I come away from this #Giants draft feeling better than I ever have. They showed foresight, an improved draft process, they made strides toward upgrading their pass offense and pass defense + added talent that will allow them to improve their play calling on both sides.

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

Wondering if there's any team that can trade an interior lineman to us for a package of Beal or Yiadom and Evan Engram. 

It's a shame Mayock and Gruden are running the Raiders these days, because Engram is just the kind of player that organization once salivated over.