SportsWrath

On this day.

BlueInCanada

Plax signed a 6 year 25 million dollar contract with the Giants (lol this was considered a big contract back then) 

Let's make St. Golladay next. 

Also teams have till 4pm to get under the cap expect some big names to still be cut.

I believe the Giants are 10 million under after the Solder restructure with more to come.

8 minutes ago, mastershake said:

What cap space do we have to sign Golladay? We only have ~$10-11mm.

He's going to end up with something like 4 years $60-70mm.

Big signing bonus spread out over the course of the contract.

Same thing they did with Williams.

Look at the Pats in 24 hours they spent 145 million of guaranteed money plus the cap space they still had on the team.

They are still under cap.

If anything this year proved the cap limit is less of an brick wall and more of soemthing of an obstacle you can move around. 

12 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Big signing bonus spread out over the course of the contract.

Same thing they did with Williams.

Look at the Pats in 24 hours they spent 145 million of guaranteed money plus the cap space they still had on the team.

They are still under cap.

If anything this year proved the cap limit is less of an brick wall and more of soemthing of an obstacle you can move around. 

yes, and lots of space next year to promise big roster bonuses next spring. 

really if you dig into the Giants cap situation, it looks bad on its face because they have seemingly little space and a QB still on a rookie contract, but they don't really have any bad contracts (especially after the Solder restructure), and the guys they're paying play, and play very well. I think this time next year we'll feel a little differently about our cap situation. 

If that's the case, then we're essentially done in FA after that potential signing, and we better go OL in rounds 1, plus 2 or 3. Even then, I'm not really comfortable with this line. I'd much rather at this point cut Engram and sign C Rodney Hudson who was just released, then draft OL in rounds 1 and 3.

What I don't get is how we cut Zeitler, but then he turns around and sign 3 years $22mm in Baltimore. Are you telling me we couldn't afford that contract? His cap hit is only $4mm this year...ugh. I hate DG.

2 hours ago, mastershake said:

If that's the case, then we're essentially done in FA after that potential signing, and we better go OL in rounds 1, plus 2 or 3. Even then, I'm not really comfortable with this line. I'd much rather at this point cut Engram and sign C Rodney Hudson who was just released, then draft OL in rounds 1 and 3.

What I don't get is how we cut Zeitler, but then he turns around and sign 3 years $22mm in Baltimore. Are you telling me we couldn't afford that contract? His cap hit is only $4mm this year...ugh. I hate DG.

Lol, I think you are blinded by your hatred.

Zeitler counted $14 million against the cap for us. 

5 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

Lol, I think you are blinded by your hatred.

Zeitler counted $14 million against the cap for us. 

Why didn't we restructure it down to what he ended up with? $4mm against the cap.

Outside of Thomas, we essentially have 6-7 backup OLs on the line. 

Just now, mastershake said:

Why didn't we restructure it down to what he ended up with? $4mm against the cap.

You wanted to extend Zeitler? He's on the wrong side of 30 and didn't play well last season. 

I think if the goal is to put together a championship level roster, the young talent is going to need to get it's chance. And then we find out. Sometimes you get a Rich Seubert.

5 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

You wanted to extend Zeitler? He's on the wrong side of 30 and didn't play well last season. 

I think if the goal is to put together a championship level roster, the young talent is going to need to get it's chance. And then we find out. Sometimes you get a Rich Seubert.

For $4mm this year, completely worth it, and he's better than anything we currently have on the interior of the OL. What's the alternative?

By the way, Corey Linsley's cap hit is only $6.6mm. Another missed opportunity.

3 hours ago, mastershake said:

You can't restructure someones contract who only has a year left on their contract (like Zeitler) you have to give them a contract extension which usually entails giving them MORE money over time or pushing their cap another year or two.

The Ravens have the advantage of being able to 1) Give him a fresh contract and 2) Give him a fresh signing bonus they can push over the contract.

The Giants couldn't do either of these things.

59 minutes ago, mastershake said:

For $4mm this year, completely worth it, and he's better than anything we currently have on the interior of the OL. What's the alternative?

By the way, Corey Linsley's cap hit is only $6.6mm. Another missed opportunity.

It's 63 million dollars lol

Linsley is now making the most money any center has in NFL history, the Chargers are on the hook for the full 17 million signing bonus plus the 6.6 million cap hit.

They fully guaranteed the signing bonus up front, they didnt spread it out like other teams have;

Per a source with knowledge of the terms, Linsley’s deal has $17 million fully-guaranteed at signing, in the form of a $13 million signing bonus and a $4 million 2021 salary.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/16/corey-linsleys-contract-gives-chargers-an-out-after-one-year/

No the Giants had no way of signing Linsley unless the let Williams go.

I think it would take a small miracle at this point to land Golladay.  He would have to be a lifelong Giants fan who still has Plaxico Burress up on his bedroom wall.  I realize the media has been selling you this signing for weeks now and most of you now agree with the assessment the Giants must sign Golladay or the Giants cannot post a winning record.

I'm glad the Giants came to an agreement with Williams and just can't believe we're paying him that much money for the next three years.  Signing Devonte Booker is a move I would not have made.  Giants could have drafted a RB and saved our limited cap space.  John Ross has me thinking of Sinorice Moss and the four years he spent having great training camps and the regular season on IR.  

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

It's 63 million dollars lol

Linsley is now making the most money any center has in NFL history, the Chargers are on the hook for the full 17 million signing bonus plus the 6.6 million cap hit.

They fully guaranteed the signing bonus up front, they didnt spread it out like other teams have;

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/16/corey-linsleys-contract-gives-chargers-an-out-after-one-year/

No the Giants had no way of signing Linsley unless the let Williams go.

His 2021 cap hit is $6.6mm. Easily affordable. I'd cut lose Engram to afford both him and Williams.

His total contract is $63mm because he's an all pro lineman. Well worth it.

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

His 2021 cap hit is $6.6mm. Easily affordable. I'd cut lose Engram to afford both him and Williams.

His total contract is $63mm because he's an all pro lineman. Well worth it.

Negatory kemosabe.

His singing bonus (which counts against the cap) is the full 17 million guaranteed.

Linsley will earn a base salary of $4,000,000 and a signing bonus of $13,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $6,600,000 and a dead cap value of $17,000,000.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-chargers/corey-linsley-14572/

His cap hit is only 6.6, the Chargers still have to account for the additional dead cap THIS YEAR of the fully guaranteed 17 million signing bonus.

They can cut Linsey right now and not have his 6.6 million count against the cap, but his DEAD CAP of 17 million still remains this year.

Look at Tate, it's the same situation, we have his dead cap we have to account for THIS YEAR.

2 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Negatory kemosabe.

His singing bonus (which counts against the cap) is the full 17 million guaranteed.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-chargers/corey-linsley-14572/

His cap hit is only 6.6, the Chargers still have to account for the additional dead cap THIS YEAR of the fully guaranteed 17 million signing bonus.

They can cut Linsey right now and not have his 6.6 million count against the cap, but his DEAD CAP of 17 million still remains this year.

Look at Tate, it's the same situation, we have his dead cap we have to account for THIS YEAR.

That $17mm bonus only counts in 2021 IF they cut him this year, which isn't happening. They didn't sign an all pro center just to cut him the same year.

Spotrac and OTC have his 2021 cap number at $6.6mm.

https://overthecap.com/player/corey-linsley/3100

Here's the breakdown by year.

Cap number.

2021 $6,600,000 

2022 $11,600,000 

2023 $13,100,000 

2024 $14,100,000 

2025  $17,100,000 

Total $62,500,000 

4 minutes ago, Tempest said:

So are we just looking at the current year salary of a player as a basis for we could have signed him while ignoring the rest?

No, we've consistently said on here that the giants have ample cap space next year. Plus, Linsley's deal has an 'out' after 3 years where he can be cut in 2024 while saving $9mm against the cap that year. They can even cut him in 2023 and save $5.3mm against the cap that year.

Backloaded contract...the same type Golladay would sign if he signs with the Giants.

The Chargers got themselves a great lineman.

9 hours ago, mastershake said:

No, we've consistently said on here that the giants have ample cap space next year. Plus, Linsley's deal has an 'out' after 3 years where he can be cut in 2024 while saving $9mm against the cap that year. They can even cut him in 2023 and save $5.3mm against the cap that year.

Backloaded contract...the same type Golladay would sign if he signs with the Giants.

The Chargers got themselves a great lineman.

Giants have chosen to front load the contracts so they don't run into problems down the road.  I understand the argument for doing that this year but it doesn't make sense to create problems for the next 3 years over trying to make a deal right now when most teams have cap problems.  Linsley wasn't even on the Giants radar this year.   

1 hour ago, Tempest said:

Giants have chosen to front load the contracts so they don't run into problems down the road.  I understand the argument for doing that this year but it doesn't make sense to create problems for the next 3 years over trying to make a deal right now when most teams have cap problems.  Linsley wasn't even on the Giants radar this year.   

Right, bringing in a proven veteran, all pro lineman that we can easily afford is a problem, (but these large Williams and potential Golladay contracts are not?) Lol

We might just get closer to having a competent OL, and we cannot have that on the Giants. Totally doesn't make sense. It wouldn't be the Giants of the last 8 years without an incompetent OL, lol.