SportsWrath

Free agency begins

Herc

So we lost Tomlinson (huge loss by the way, this will be seen during the regular season) 

And now we will have to pay Williams more than Donald makes because DG fucked this whole situation up for the start.

Even if they take the tag back all the FAs out there worth a damn are signed up with other teams, you already lost Tomlinson.

Best offseason ever.

5 minutes ago, Storm said:

John Ross is a good signing. Hopefully not prohibitive to Golladay or Curtis Samuel though.

Would've liked more than 1 year tho...and yeah...with Williams, Booker, and Ross...not sure Golloday or Samuel are in play...we will see

Just now, gmenroc said:

Would've liked more than 1 year tho...and yeah...with Williams, Booker, and Ross...not sure Golloday or Samuel are in play...we will see

They should be, hopefully. Ross is another slot guy, again. Speedy guy though.

1 minute ago, gmenroc said:

It's a prove it deal with Ross.

He's been a classic example of an underachiever.

Just now, mastershake said:

With Williams, we're effectively done in free agency. No shot at Golladay or Curtis Samuel.

From what I understand the only way they were signing anyone at all was with Williams out of the way. There wasn’t any money. Now there is. I don’t think the 2.5 for this year for Ross changes it that much. 

Just now, Storm said:

From what I understand the only way they were signing anyone at all was with Williams out of the way. There wasn’t any money. Now there is. I don’t think the 2.5 for this year for Ross changes it that much. 

How is there money now that Williams is signed?

2 minutes ago, mastershake said:

With Williams, we're effectively done in free agency. No shot at Golladay or Curtis Samuel.

Not necessarily.

Solder still has to sign his restructure.

Martinez and Bradberry are expected to restructure as well to free space.

Okay so in review, this offense currently has the following:

$6mm on Engram

$2.5mm on John Ross

~$3mm on Devontae Booker

~$2-3mm on Toilolo

~$2.75mm on Spencer Pulley

~$2.5mm on WR Dante Pettis and OL Jonathan Harrison

Total of $19-20mm in precious cap space dedicated to this garbage.

Plus $4mm in dead cap on Golden Tate.

:doh:

I hate Dave Gettleman so much.

Just now, BlueInCanada said:

Gotta be some massive incentives as well with Williams.

45 guaranteed but 63 million total.

Williams plays lights out he could be making over 20 million a year.

So correct me if I’m wrong, at least a portion of that 45 guaranteed is going to be a signing bonus. The signing bonuses can then be used to lower yearly cap hits, correct? 

In future years, teams can also convert salary to signing bonuses as a way to restructure and offset cap hits. The Giants seem to be one team that doesn’t do this very often, however.

The New York Giants finally locked up Leonard Williams long-term.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Big Blue and the defensive lineman have agreed to a three-year deal worth $63 million with $45 million guaranteed, per sources informed of the situation.  

The deal includes a $22.5 million signing bonus and drops his salary-cap number to about $11 million, per NFL Network's Tom Pelissero.

The Giants used the franchise tag to keep Williams off the free-agent market for the second straight season. He was due $19.351 million on the second tender.

Big Blue GM Dave Gettleman had been trying to sign Williams for the long haul since bringing him over in a trade with the Jets midway through the 2019 season.

The defensive lineman enjoyed a breakout campaign in 2020, generating 11.5 sacks, and was a backfield menace, earning 14 tackles for loss and 30 QB hits. Williams was the Giants' best player last season.

Big Blue paid handsomely to keep him in New York for the next several seasons.

The $21 million per-year average puts Williams on par with what DeForest Buckner signed on a longer deal last season. 

Signing a three-year deal allows the 26-year-old Williams to hit the market again before he turns 30, potentially cashing in with a third lucrative contract.  

The Giants desperately wanted to extend Williams in order to lower that $19-plus million cap hit this season, allowing them to make other moves to bolster a hole-filled roster.

Almost immediately after agreeing to an extension with Williams, the purse strings burst open.

The Giants also agreed to terms with wide receiver John Ross on a one-year, $2.5 million deal that includes $1 million guaranteed, NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported, per a source informed of the situation. Ross owns blazing speed, and a fresh start could do the wideout some good after struggling to see the field in Cincinnati.

Yeah, so it does free up some through the method I described but like was mentioned, the team has to operate at the very least like Solder is either restructured or cut (I personally think they should restructure him solely because he wasn’t horrible and he makes for good depth). Golladay would be a necessity here. He’s 6’4 and dominant when he is healthy.

And I honestly believe that the Giants should draft their highest rated WR or the TE Pitts with their number one, too. Daniel Jones has to be supplied weapons. And it’s been proven over two seasons now that the current crop of Shepard, Slayton, and Engram can’t get it done.

13 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Okay so in review, this offense currently has the following:

$6mm on Engram

$2.5mm on John Ross

~$3mm on Devontae Booker

~$2-3mm on Toilolo

~$2.75mm on Spencer Pulley

~$2.5mm on WR Dante Pettis and OL Jonathan Harrison

Total of $19-20mm in precious cap space dedicated to this garbage.

Plus $4mm in dead cap on Golden Tate.

:doh:

I hate Dave Gettleman so much.

Pulley isnt on the team.

Engram doesn't count until June, but looking like he'll be here.

Ross is 1 million guaranteed.

Booker's cap hit this year is around 1.7 million.

Toilololilololol is around 1.2 after the restructure.

Pettis and Harrison can both be cut without penalty at any time, but two players for 2.5 million.

I mean I think DG is a horrible GM as anyone (better scout than anything) but I don't see what you're saying outside of Engram (who should be gone)

All these bench guys total maybe 6 to 7 million for 5 players, what do you think the going rate for a player is in the NFL?

1 minute ago, mastershake said:

I really don't see where the money for Golladay is coming from. By my estimate, we have only ~$12mm in cap space left, after the Williams signing and Solder restructure.

If anything this offseason kind of showed that the cap space isnt all that important other than what's on your book come the start of the league year.

Teams are finding ways to sign players they want even without the cap.

The Giants want Golladay, they can get him.

Now if DG could actually come up with one of these imaginative contract is another thing.

1 minute ago, BlueInCanada said:

Pulley isnt on the team.

Engram doesn't count until June, but looking like he'll be here.

Ross is 1 million guaranteed.

Booker's cap hit this year is around 1.7 million.

Toilololilololol is around 1.2 after the restructure.

Pettis and Harrison can both be cut without penalty at any time, but two players for 2.5 million.

I mean I think DG is a horrible GM as anyone (better scout than anything) but I don't see what you're saying outside of Engram (who should be gone)

All these bench guys total maybe 6 to 7 million for 5 players, what do you think the going rate for a player is in the NFL?

Pulley is on the team:

https://www.giants.com/team/players-roster/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/cap/

Also Engram's $6mm number is figured there as well. Why even offer him the 1yr tender if we're not going to re-sign him? DG isn't going to cut him.

Ross's contract is a $2.5mm cap hit.

On Pettis and Harrison...great so let's cut them.

The above five players are eating up ~$13-14mm.

I'm okay with the Booker and Toilolo numbers though.