Jump to content
SportsWrath

Solder to restructure.


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

Whyyyyy bother? He doesn't belong on this roster...

Because we could save more money if he agrees to a 4 or 5 million per year type of thing instead of cutting him.

Plus a year off he might come back in decent shape.

Like it or not but Solder is the third best Oline on this roster at the moment and that's saying so much and so little at the same time 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, mastershake said:

It's all just strange that were content to fill up the OL roster spots on this team with backup caliber OL without taking steps to upgrade.

I mean what steps can they take now? 

FA officially begins on the 17th. 

Solder clearing up cap space let's us be able to go get an upgrade plus keep a guy on a already depleted Oline group. 

I'm still convinced we will go after a vet guard, just god no please not that kid the Chargers cut.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Granted I'm being overly hopeful and Solder restructured voiding his next year and converting his remaining guaranteed in signing bonus that can be spread out and he's only on the hook for like 5 or 6 million this year instead of 16 lol 

That extra 10 million would look good going Linsey's way. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Giants absolutely had to restructure Nate Solder.  Cutting him this year was too expensive to consider, cutting him after June 1st doesn't help the Giants until June 1st.  Forget that he is overpaid for the level of play since signing that contract and remember he can play better (:praying:) than Cameron Fleming who is a free agent.   Matt Peart can continue to get better as the swing tackle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At very least, he is depth at a position where we are lacking and while some FAs are available, we lack the cap space needed to be real suitors.  

So he gives us depth and cap space with this...cannot be mad about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So we're content stacking the OL spots on this roster with backups. Lol another 10 loss season on the way.

2021:

"2nd and long for the Giants."

"3rd and long for the Giants."

"Another three and out for this offense."

"And again, a Giants RB dropped behind the line of scrimmage."

"Daniel Jones again has an unblocked defender in his face."

"Will Hernandez there spins around in a circle and the defender just runs right by him."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mastershake said:

So we're content stacking the OL spots on this roster with backups. Lol another 10 loss season on the way.

Well we need about five backups on the OL, so.... some of the guys they sign will be backups.

And about how many teams you think feel like they really have five starters on the OL? 

I'm in kind of a strange middle ground here where I'm always pounding the table for the OL, but I really don't think this unit is quite the abysmal, hopeless mess that maybe most of us do. I'd put their performance, weighted to the end of the year, ignoring the beginning entirely, at slightly below average.

TE is a weaker position group than the OL. WR is worse. Without Saquon, the RBs are weaker than the OL. QB, eh, about on the level. I don't think it's fair to put that 31st ranked offense on the OL.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most NFL teams keep 8-9 OL. Occasionally 10 though.

Problem is this team needs 4-5 of their starters to take a big leap and "figure it out" to become better than just backups/developmental players.

That's a recipe for disaster. I've said before, you can get away with 1 maybe 2 of those types on your OL, but not 4-5. If feel a lot better with:

LT Thomas

LG Tucker

C Linsley

RG Gates

RT Peart, or Beachum as a plan B

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, gmenroc said:

At very least, he is depth at a position where we are lacking and while some FAs are available, we lack the cap space needed to be real suitors.  

So he gives us depth and cap space with this...cannot be mad about it.

I would be shocked if Nate Solder is a backup swing tackle for the NY Giants this season.  He is starting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mastershake said:

Most NFL teams keep 8-9 OL. Occasionally 10 though.

Problem is this team needs 4-5 of their starters to take a big leap and "figure it out" to become better than just backups/developmental players.

That's a recipe for disaster. I've said before, you can get away with 1 maybe 2 of those types on your OL, but not 4-5. If feel a lot better with:

LT Thomas

LG Tucker

C Linsley

RG Gates

RT Peart, or Beachum as a plan B

 

Yeah, position versatility often leaves one guy backing up multiple OL positions. Usually not well.

I don't think you're wrong about the head count... maybe three or four guys need to come up.... But every team trying to come up projects their young guys to keep improving. Not much choice about that, teams that suck don't suck because there are no holes on the roster, and they don't improve when they don't hit on young talented players. Can't figure that out if they don't play.

That said - ideally, yeah, give me those guys instead. That group, healthy, sounds like a solid top third OL. Just not sure how we get from here to there without making sacrifices at even weaker positions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tempest said:

I would be shocked if Nate Solder is a backup swing tackle for the NY Giants this season.  He is starting.

But ideally.... Peart is so fucking awesome he pushes Solder to the bench.

Never know, could happen. His natural ability is sure on a level with guys like Jason Peters. If he learns any technique at all... He's a starter, and we're happy about it.

Maybe that is a little hyperbolic, but I don't think so. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

But ideally.... Peart is so fucking awesome he pushes Solder to the bench.

Never know, could happen. His natural ability is sure on a level with guys like Jason Peters. If he learns any technique at all... He's a starter, and we're happy about it.

Maybe that is a little hyperbolic, but I don't think so. 

The money can be found rescinding the $19.3mm franchise tag on Leonard Williams.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, mastershake said:

The money can be found rescinding the $19.3mm franchise tag on Leonard Williams.

 

Didn't Williams already sign it? 

He would of been smart to sign it asap. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also we act as if the Giants are in dire straits this year with the cap space.

We have to remember we have no major long term contracts on the roster, we have 80+ million in cap space next year to use.

As we've seen from teams so far (voidable years, signing bonuses) they are all stacking contracts guarantees into next season when the cap is expected to rise. 

Granted it's up to DG to MAKE these type of deal but there still is reason to believe we can land a big name WR or Oline help in FA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh also reports are it's what's being speculated. 

Solder to take a 10 to 11 million dollar pay cut with a voidable year for final year potentially. 

Basically he becomes a one year swing tackle or relief RT if Peart doesn't work out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Oh also reports are it's what's being speculated. 

Solder to take a 10 to 11 million dollar pay cut with a voidable year for final year potentially. 

Basically he becomes a one year swing tackle or relief RT if Peart doesn't work out.

Not a bad deal after all. I was worried we would be paying $10mm for a backup/swing tackle, and in case Peart doesn't work out. $5-6mm isn't too bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Not a bad deal after all. I was worried we would be paying $10mm for a backup/swing tackle, and in case Peart doesn't work out. $5-6mm isn't too bad.

yeah, that's how I was hoping it would play out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Herc said:

Good luck to Williams and his 25 mil.  Shaq Barrett just signed for 18 😂

Not for nothing, but that guy is nuts if he thinks he's getting 25 mil.  Aaron Donald only made 21 mil and Williams is no Donald. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...