Jump to content
SportsWrath

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

182.5 million.

With the Leonard Williams tag and all cuts and restructures to date the Giants are 8 to 9 million over cap as of this moment. 

 

And draft picks haven't even been factored in yet on that -$9mm....so it's really like -$17mm

Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as we would love to see Williams return, it’s just bad business. Even with a restructured contract he is just going to cost too much. To many needs.  
 

Also while it makes sense to be concerned about the O-line, I believe Judge is on to something when he says these rookies from last year just need more time to develop. We might not be as bad off as it appears.
 

Towards the end of the year and after a coaching change, they did improve. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some teams are going to be piling up on weapons this year.

Jags are close to 80 million in cap space, Jets 70, Pats 60.

They are going to land the monster free agents. 

Meanwhile the Giants are one of 10 teams below the cap.

Atleast we ain't the Rams or Saints.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mastershake said:

Free agency is essentially over for the giants. See you at the draft.

Over the cap projects the Giants to free up around 30 million with Zeitler, Solder, Hill and Engram walking (although they basically said they wouldn't do this lol) 

The Giants are going to land bench guys, no starters for us unless we give them a fully guaranteed year next season when we have close to 80 million in cap space. 

Like get Linsey on a two year 30 million dollar deal with most of it guaranteed next season or in signing bonus pushed to next year. Cap hit this year of 7 million but 23 fully guaranteed next season type of thing, just pray he doesn't get hurt or regress lol 

But yes this offseason is essentially bust unless we shed a lot of cap and players. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BlueInCanada said:

Over the cap projects the Giants to free up around 30 million with Zeitler, Solder, Hill and Engram walking (although they basically said they wouldn't do this lol) 

The Giants are going to land bench guys, no starters for us unless we give them a fully guaranteed year next season when we have close to 80 million in cap space. 

Like get Linsey on a two year 30 million dollar deal with most of it guaranteed next season or in signing bonus pushed to next year. Cap hit this year of 7 million but 23 fully guaranteed next season type of thing, just pray he doesn't get hurt or regress lol 

But yes this offseason is essentially bust unless we shed a lot of cap and players. 

How? They're $-17mm right now after factoring in draft picks. If they cut Zeitler and Solder (+$18mm), that's only ~$1mm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mastershake said:

How? They're $-17mm right now after factoring in draft picks. If they cut Zeitler and Solder (+$18mm), that's only ~$1mm.

They didn't factor in draft picks. 

Just we could free up around 30 million with those cuts, Solder, Engrams, Zeitler and Hill. 

Plus signing Williams to a long term contract. 

I wasnt saying they would free up 30 million over the cap, just what they can free up with obvious cuts.

With the cap being what it is the Giants could play the long ball game.

Early projections with the new TV contracts (most watched sport during a Covid year) and if they have full stadiums this year we could be looking at a projected cap of 200+ million next year, some are saying 250 by 2024.

The Giants could be going into 2021 with a new GM and over 110 million in cap space. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think right now the giants are done with any major moves with free agency. Solder is +$6mm, Zeitler +$12mm, Engram +$6mm.... Even if they cut all those folks, that frees up $24mm, but we're currently at $-8mm plus you need to factor in another $-9mm on draft picks. So really, those other moves would put us at ~$7mm, and now you have a gap at RG and TE.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dunno why everyone is so keen on getting rid of BJ Hill. Either Tomlinson or Williams is going to walk, he's an average-to-good DT, he knows the system, and he's in a contract year... all for 2 million. Not sure who you're going to find at that price to fill those shoes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

Dunno why everyone is so keen on getting rid of BJ Hill. Either Tomlinson or Williams is going to walk, he's an average-to-good DT, he knows the system, and he's in a contract year... all for 2 million. Not sure who you're going to find at that price to fill those shoes.

Exactly, cheap inexpensive average starting DT who has flashed in the past, to play next to Dexter Lawrence. The guy is also in a contract year, so who knows, maybe he even turns it on this year and becomes the player we all thought he would his rookie season.

Given the Williams signing, I assume Tomlinson won't be retained, therefore I'm not sure who else would fill that role but for Hill. BJ Hill seems like the right fit for now, plus a possible draft pick for depth and/or bring back Austin Johnson on a 1 year $1mm deal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

Dunno why everyone is so keen on getting rid of BJ Hill. Either Tomlinson or Williams is going to walk, he's an average-to-good DT, he knows the system, and he's in a contract year... all for 2 million. Not sure who you're going to find at that price to fill those shoes.

He was outplayed by a guy who will only cost 1 million a year?

I dunno just what pundits are saying the Giants will free up cap space.

I have no problem with letting Hill go he played less than 30% of the snaps and could be replaced by a guy on vet minimum or a draft pick.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

He was outplayed by a guy who will only cost 1 million a year?

I dunno just what pundits are saying the Giants will free up cap space.

I have no problem with letting Hill go he played less than 30% of the snaps and could be replaced by a guy on vet minimum or a draft pick.

 

 

 

What's the point though...there would be no cap savings. He's making very little as it is.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Giants 2021. Get used to these phrases;

"2nd and long for the Giants."

"3rd and long for the Giants."

"Another three and out for this offense."

"And again, a Giants RB dropped behind the line of scrimmage."

"Well Daniel Jones once again has an unblocked defender right in his face."

"There you go right there, Will Hernandez spins around in a circle and completely doesn't touch the defender again."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Was going to happen regardless.

A guard being over paid in a year when the Giants are scrambling (much like Jones will be) for cap space.

All I keep thinking is one more year of pain and then we will have a new GM and projected 100 million in cap space (baring the new TV contracts) in 2022.

Never know though, maybe somehow Lemieux takes a step forward and they take a guard in round two.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also I know DG inherited a shit Oline in 2018.

But for a guy who preached "WE NEED HOG MOLLIES!!!@!@!!!!" at his press conference, he really hasn't done a any sort of job at bringing a group together lol

I need to find the tweet but from 2015 the Giants have spent the most 1st and 2nd round picks on Oline, and we ranked dead last in every metric last season at Oline.

Oh the pain is real with this team.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...