SportsWrath

Report: Giants to Tag Williams, Work on Long Team Deal

mastershake

11 minutes ago, UK-Giantsfan said:

decent move by DG ......only a cap hit of $11 M for 2021 ......maybe we can even afford Golladay now ?

I don't think we can.

What DG made sure to do here is to screw over the next GM after we go 6-10 this season, giving them a bloated backloaded contract of 2 years $52mm 2022-2023.

2 hours ago, mastershake said:

I don't think we can.

What DG made sure to do here is to screw over the next GM after we go 6-10 this season, giving them a bloated backloaded contract of 2 years $52mm 2022-2023.

Once again teams are manipulating the cap the Giants just did with Williams signing bonus and the guaranteed over three years.

Keep in mind the cap (with the new TV deals) is going to be 200+ million next year with it projected to be 250 million by 2024. 

I don't know what you mean by bloated back loaded contract as the numbers haven't been released and from what I understand he's only due 32 million over two more years after this, roster bonuses and such also factor into guaranteed contract. 

The Giants can still easily sign a few more players, yes even Golladay since Solder, Martinez and Bradberry a restructures aren't on the books yet but its up to DG to get it done.

Just now, BlueInCanada said:

Once again teams are manipulating the cap the Giants just did with Williams signing bonus and the guaranteed over three years.

Keep in mind the cap (with the new TV deals) is going to be 200+ million next year with it projected to be 250 million by 2024. 

I don't know what you mean by bloated back loaded contract as the numbers haven't been released and from what I understand he's only due 32 million over two more years after this, roster bonuses and such also factor into guaranteed contract. 

The Giants can still easily sign a few more players, yes even Golladay since Solder, Martinez and Bradberry a restructures aren't on the books yet but its up to DG to get it done.

Year 1 cap number on a $63 mm 3 yr deal is $11mm correct? That means the other $52mm will count years 2-3.

3 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Year 1 cap number on a $63 mm 3 yr deal is $11mm correct? That means the other $52mm will count years 2-3.

11 million guaranteed.

Williams can still make his incentives this year.

It's a 43 million dollar guaranteed contract he's only due 43 million.

The other 20 million will come from roster bonuses, games played, performance on the field, etc.

He isn't going to get the full 63 million, that's not how contracts work in the NFL.

Also let's say Williams hits every single contract incentive he has, he becomes the next Donald and gets every single dollar in his contract over the next two years.

You know what the Giants have next year?

80 million in cap space. 

And the cap will increase by 15 to 20 million. 

Having to cover 25+ million for Willia s (once again if he hits every single contract incentive which is highly unlikely) is going to be peanuts.

52 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

11 million guaranteed.

Williams can still make his incentives this year.

It's a 43 million dollar guaranteed contract he's only due 43 million.

The other 20 million will come from roster bonuses, games played, performance on the field, etc.

He isn't going to get the full 63 million, that's not how contracts work in the NFL.

Ahh I see. 

Anyhow, 6-10 unless DG hits a home run in this draft.

43 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Also let's say Williams hits every single contract incentive he has, he becomes the next Donald and gets every single dollar in his contract over the next two years.

You know what the Giants have next year?

80 million in cap space. 

And the cap will increase by 15 to 20 million. 

Having to cover 25+ million for Willia s (once again if he hits every single contract incentive which is highly unlikely) is going to be peanuts.

That's a good cap situation for our new GM to inherit.

Williams numbers have been released.

2021- 11 million 

2022 - 18 million + 7.5 million signing bonus.

Potential out in 2023 dead cap hit of 7 million if cut.

2023 - 11 million + 7.5 million signing bonus.

Was what people expected like all these contracts this year guys will get paid next year when the cap increases.

13 hours ago, mastershake said:

Ahh I see. 

Anyhow, 6-10 unless DG hits a home run in this draft.

You mean 7 and 10.

But I don't think your far off.

This team was never going to take a massive step this year simply because of the cap situation and DGs first two years of not harbouring any sort of talent.

16 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Williams numbers have been released.

2021- 11 million 

2022 - 18 million + 7.5 million signing bonus.

Potential out in 2023 dead cap hit of 7 million if cut.

2023 - 11 million + 7.5 million signing bonus.

Was what people expected like all these contracts this year guys will get paid next year when the cap increases.

What am I missing here. That totals to $55mm. How does he get to $63mm?

45 minutes ago, mastershake said:

What am I missing here. That totals to $55mm. How does he get to $63mm?

Incentives and roster bonuses.

These don't count against the cap.

I mean you know what incentives are in contracts to make up the total of the contract?

It can be anything from playing a healthy 16 well 17 games a year and they get an extra 1.5 million that year.

Make a pro bowl and get an extra 250k.

Finish top 5 in sacks and get an X amount.

This is why guys sign a massive contract but only half is guaranteed. Like Eli he earned over 250 million dollars in his career, despite only being guaranteed around 140 (54 his first contact 97 his second) the rest was all performance based incentives. However only the 140 ever counted against the cap. 

1 minute ago, BlueInCanada said:

Incentives and roster bonuses.

These don't count against the cap.

I mean you know what incentives are in contracts to make up the total of the contract?

It can be anything from playing a healthy 16 well 17 games a year and they get an extra 1.5 million that year.

Make a pro bowl and get an extra 250k.

Finish top 5 in sacks and get an X amount.

This is why guys sign a massive contract but only half is guaranteed. Like Eli he earned over 250 million dollars in his career, despite only being guaranteed around 140 (54 his first contact 97 his second) the rest was all performance based incentives. However only the 140 ever counted against the cap. 

Yes but incentives don't count against the cap? That seems strange. 

All of it goes against the cap...it is just prorated different.  Roster and workout bonuses and salary/incentives  hit cap in year they are paid.  Signing bonus is paid all at once,  but spread across contract for cap purposes.

Last I knew, incentives count against the cap whether they are achieved or not...just in case they are.  If not achieved, that amount becomes part of rolled over cap space from one year to next

13 minutes ago, gmenroc said:

All of it goes against the cap...it is just prorated different.  Roster and workout bonuses and salary/incentives  hit cap in year they are paid.  Signing bonus is paid all at once,  but spread across contract for cap purposes.

Last I knew, incentives count against the cap whether they are achieved or not...just in case they are.  If not achieved, that amount becomes part of rolled over cap space from one year to next

Right. Looks like in this instance, the base salary is so low in 2021 that the cap hit is only $11mm, but 2022 is $26.5mm, and 2023 $25.5mm.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/leonard-williams-16730/