SportsWrath

Report: Giants to Tag Williams, Work on Long Team Deal

mastershake

I'd rather have an offensive line. C/G Corey Linsley 3 years $30mm, with Kevin Beachum on a 1 year $2.5mm deal as a backup plan in case Peart doesn't work out at RT, plus draft in the mid rounds for depth at G. (probably doubtful at this point that Zeitler and Solder both remain on this roster)

Then, still enough money to bring in Curtis Samuel 3 years $24mm.

Oh well.

I don't like this but it is what it is.

Maybe they can keep both Tomlinson and Williams, cut BJ Hill.

It was apparent the Giants were going to need a pass rusher this offseason and the FA pass rushers this year are a hot pile of garbage outside of Williams, and then Dunlap who's coming off IR.

Obviously tagging Williams means they don't value any DE in the draft worthy of the 11th pick. 

If and that's a big if they can do something like the Cowboys did with Dak, give Williams a 32 million signing bonus but have his cap hit only be 9 million the next two years, effectively giving him 25 million a year for the first two years and then have a out after that. 

Then we could still go after some guard and WR help in FA and the draft.

Also something to note next offseason the Giants have projected around 100 million in cap space.

They very well could put a guarantee in Williams contract in year two to pay him some ridiculous number.

Lessen the impact this year and push it all to next year when we have the room.

Just a thought. 

We all know where this is going already...

They're going to have no $$$ cap leftover in free agency for any other big moves.

DG won't use the top 2 draft picks on OL.

In sum, DG will do nothing on the OL this offseason, short of restructuring or cutting Zeitler and/or Solder.

6-10 team. Maybe 7-9 at best.

33 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Also, Shake screams about this offseason move but by week 10 when Williams has 12 sacks and the team is 6-4, and Shake is admitting he's a fool, lol.

Hey Williams is a playmaker one of the few on defense along with Martinez and Bradberry.

You can't just let those guys go if you want to win in the NFL. Williams showed up big in games when needed in the second half of the year. 

Unfortunately it might most us a big name WR. (Which is why I'm still convinced the Giants take a Waddle, Smith, Chase round 1) 

But I think if they can Williams, and get a couple guards like Easton, Oday, even Linsey then it won't be a bad FA hall. 

Also something to keep in mind the new Oline coach Slade? Is suppose to be one of the better in the college ranks at getting Oline ready for the NFL. Plus they rehired the GOAT Flaterhty as Oline consult who built that Oline that carried this team in the 2000s.

Not saying they magically make Hernandez better or make Peart and Lemeiux all pros but atleast we look like we have a competent Oline coach staff who should be able to make this unit play better.

We haven't had a good Oline since Flaterhty left, and I think if the main reason why none of these draft picks have worked out. 

I hear you...I'm just preparing everyone to get used to these phrases:

"2nd and long for the Giants."

"3rd and long for the Giants."

"Another three and out for this offense."

"And again, a Giants RB dropped behind the line of scrimmage."

"Well Daniel Jones once again has an unblocked defender right in his face."

"There you go right there, Will Hernandez spins around in a circle and completely doesn't touch the defender again."

36 minutes ago, mastershake said:

I hear you...I'm just preparing everyone to get used to these phrases:

"2nd and long for the Giants."

"3rd and long for the Giants."

"Another three and out for this offense."

"And again, a Giants RB dropped behind the line of scrimmage."

"Well Daniel Jones once again has an unblocked defender right in his face."

"There you go right there, Will Hernandez spins around in a circle and completely doesn't touch the defender again."

Lol so nothing new the last 9 years.

I dunno I'm more optimistic this year than last simply because we have a competent coaching staff. 

I'm not overly optimistic purely because last year, I actually think we overperformed in part thanks to a lousy NFL east and poor coaching by Ron Rivera. This is nitpicking but we also nearly lost to the lousy Bengals. 

The offense actually got progressively worse the last 3 years, culminating in the 31st ranked offense last year.

In the NFC east (4 of our 6 wins), we were essentially playing teams that did not have QBs. That's not happening in 2021:

- Dallas is getting Dak back.

- Both Phi and Was will go into the season with some plan at QB. It may work it may not but it won't be the clusterfuck/chaos it was last year, barring injuries.

We went 2-8 vs non-NFL east teams. We sucked.

I'm telling you, this is such a bad move for so many reasons...putting all our eggs in one basket.

Would much rather have used that money on C/G Corey Linsley, WR Curtis Samuel, plus we probably would still have enough room (if we cut Solder, Pulley, and Toilolo) to then also sign Dalvin Tomlinson. I'd rather have these three players than Williams. Plus we'd probably have room to bring in a backup plan B at RT, such as Beachum on a 1 yr $2.5mm deal.

Yeah I pretty much agree.  I like Williams and normally I’d be ok with taking a shot on him continuing to play like he did last season, but the high inventory and low spending power across the league is a unique buying opportunity if you can be a team with cap space.

I don't know what to think about Flaherty. He coached the Diehl-Mackenzie line but he never developed the James Brewers and Mitch Petruses on the roster.

For years we'd have shit o-lines and all John Schmeelk would say is "let's not forget, we have Flaherty who made Diehl and O'Hara into stars" and I'd tell at the radio"THAT WAS TEN FUCKING YEARS AGO!"

I don't know if he's necessary good at developing talent more than he's good at harnessing what's already there.

19 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

I don't know what to think about Flaherty. He coached the Diehl-Mackenzie line but he never developed the James Brewers and Mitch Petruses on the roster.

For years we'd have shit o-lines and all John Schmeelk would say is "let's not forget, we have Flaherty who made Diehl and O'Hara into stars" and I'd tell at the radio"THAT WAS TEN FUCKING YEARS AGO!"

I don't know if he's necessary good at developing talent more than he's good at harnessing what's already there.

Yeah...It wasn't until we brought in Mackenzie and Shaun O'Hara that the offense came into their own.

Plus I think Snee was always going to be a stud regardless of who the OL coach was, and Seubert was already there before he arrived.

Flaherty was also the OL coach through 2015, and he never really developed players like Weston Richburg.

36 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

He isn't the Oline coach though just a consult like that guy we had last year who clashed with Colombodumbo.

16 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Yeah...It wasn't until we brought in Mackenzie and Shaun O'Hara that the offense came into their own.

Plus I think Snee was always going to be a stud regardless of who the OL coach was, and Seubert was already there before he arrived.

Flaherty was also the OL coach through 2015, and he never really developed players like Weston Richburg.

Richburh was a great guard his problem was he only played 12 games a year. 

He could stay healthy he was the best guard we had since Snee. 

Edit sorry thinking of Pugh.

Richburh wasn't bad he should of been a fourth round pick though.