SportsWrath

Seph Fixes the Giants

Sephiroth

24 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

My wife's cousin is a Chargers fan and said he was fucking horrible.

Well, next one up then.

The good news is, lot of guards available. Looks more and more like there will be a bloodbath, and teams in the market for mid level vets will find a buyer's market.

7 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

My wife's cousin is a Chargers fan and said he was fucking horrible.

Yeah the dude was god awful since getting to the Chargers.

Strong pass.

If the Charger don't want to pay him 11 million to defend what looks like next great NFL QB Herbert then he isn't worth it.

• 7 months later...
On 2/28/2021 at 11:19 PM, Sephiroth said:

So I’m pretty sure at this point I should be the GM of the Giants.  I’m not saying that I’d be great at it… I’m just saying that if the Giants had listened to me instead of Jerry Reese and Dave Gettleman, we’d be in a lot better shape than we’re actually in right now.  

With this in mind, I’ve set out to fixing the Giants.  *Disclaimer - the roster is still a total clusterfuck, and there’s no way any human being could address EVERYTHING the Giants need right now.  There will be holes in the roster, even with my genius handiwork. 

First things first… the dead weight. 

Golden Tate - 6 Million -  too old, didn’t do enough this season, and we have guys that are already better slot players. 

Evan Engram - 6 Million - fuck this guy.  I do not let my Soul Glow. 

Levine Toilolo - 3 million  - Bizarro Evan Engram.  The blocking TE that can’t block. 

Kevin Zeitler - 12 Million - this is a really hard one.  I think Zeitler is the best O-linemen we have, but he’s not a 12 million player anymore.  If he doesn’t take a pay cut to something more reasonable, that 12 million dollars can fix some problems in other spots.  Again, I’m iffy on this, but ultimately I think he’s gotta walk at that price. 

Nate Solder - in this scenario, he won’t take a pay cut, so we’re stuck with him for another year.  

So in total, we’ve freed up 27 million in cap space.  Who should we spend this on in free agency? The salary cap going down is throwing a real wrench into the gears right now, and I’d suspect there will be a LOT of veterans available on cheapy, 1-year contracts this year as expensive guys get cut, but for the sake of argument I’m going to give everyone what I think would be a fair market value for their services. 

Guys who walk - Leonard Williams, Wayne Gallman, Davonte Freeman, Probably Other Guys I forgot - We just can’t afford Williams this year.  The good news is we should get a 3rd round compensatory pick for him in 2022.  Gallman deserves out of here;  he’s been a #2 back talent-wise but nobody ever gives him a legitimate shot.  Freeman was too injured. 

Now on to the keepers and new guys: 

Dalvin Tomlinson -  4 years, 40 million, 10 million this season (spotrac estimates as 9 mil) - give him a little extra, but he’s done everything you’ve ever wanted him to.  Good locker room guy, home grown talent.  Dude deserves it. 

Austin Johnson - 1 year, 2 million - we re-sign him to another one-year deal in the same way we did for Fackrell, and for the same reasons. I'm ok with Tomlinson, Johnson, and Bj Hill with Dex Lawrence sometimes playing nose tackle.  Honestly that’s a pretty nice group. 

Hassan Reddick - 4 years, 50 million, 9.5 million this season.  I know he kind of looks like a bust by the numbers but Arizona just started to have him play the edge this year, and he had 12.5 sacks.  Even if you take out the Giants game that’s still 7.5, which is pretty decent (for this team). I’d cheap him out this year, give him a ton of guaranteed money next season, and incentivize the fuck outta this contract. He graded out very well via PFF this year for what stock you put into that.  

Kyle Rudolph or Zach Ertz - 1 year, 5 million.   One of these two guys is going to shake free because the cap is so low, and while both are past their primes they can still produce.  I’d take either one in their “underproducing seasons” over Stone Hands Engram. 

So to this point, we’ve covered the DT problem and gotten a pass rusher that between him and Carter/Ximines, you’d think one would get you at least 8 sacks.  There’s still the issue of making up for the loss of Zeitler, and TE/WR is still looking pretty weak.  These holes we’re going to have to fill in the draft.  

For the draft, I did a PFF Mock with trades available.  I’ve assumed that big-time guys are gone (no Ja’Marr Chase, Penei Sewell, Davonte Smith, Jaylen Waddle, or Kyle Pitts… basically the worst-case Giants scenario, like that year we drafted Ereck Flowers or that other year we ended up with Eli Apple).  Still, I think we ended up OK.  Here’s how it went: 

11 - Rashawn Slater - honestly I worry about him a little bit because of the short arms and looks a little undersized, but his feet are amazing.  Not going to wow anyone with his power but beats defenders with technique, finesse, and tenacity.  You can plug and play him anywhere on the line and get adequate (tackle) to great (center) play out of him.  Pick your worst O-lineman next year;  that’s where Slater fits in. 

42 - WR Terrace Marshall - I know the drops are troubling (I fucking hate Evan Engram… did I mention that?)  but the skills are too much to ignore in this spot.  He’s big, fast, has great body control, and wins the jump ball.  He’d be a nasty red-zone target and I think would give you Plax Burress-like production the year after this one, but he’s going to need a little bit of work. 

TRADE with Pittsburgh - we swap picks in the 3rd, but also pick up an extra 5th. 

76 > 87 (From Pittsburgh) G Ben Cleveland - Big, strong, nasty, and gives zero shits.  Once again, should be able to open holes for our RBs.  Between Cleveland, Slater, and the rest of the O-linemen, we should be able to field a decent unit. 

116 - DT Jay Tufele - he’s a fucking Samoan, and we need to replace Williams.  Just watch his game tape.  The Giants need more Samoans.  Not the Girl Scout cookies, either. 

141  - (From Pittsburgh) TE Hunter Long - I was really hoping that Tommy Tremble (this year’s George Kittle IMO) would have been around the last few picks, but Hunter Long isn’t a bad consolation prize.  He’s got incredible size and runs pretty well. Is just on OK blocker but he’s got the frame to eventually do well with it.  Hard to imagine someone who’s 6’5” 254 lbs could be a bad blocker, but then I remember Larry Donnell.  Hunter Long can probably learn the somersault butt block, which will make him at least as good as Donnell. 

198 -  WR Marquez Stevenson - I get that he’s had injuries, but I watch this guy’s game tape and have no idea why he keeps falling to the later rounds. He’s got a good release off the line and game-breaking speed… looks like a poor man’s Odell.  If he finds a way to stay healthy I think he could be a top-end #2 WR, and offers value as a kick returner too.  In the sixth round he’s a fucking steal… one of my top sleepers of the entire draft. 

204-  RB Pooka Williams, Jr - he’s a young Dion Lewis. Undersized, but great acceleration, good quicks, and top-end vision.  Vision is one of those things that’s really underrated coming out of college;  it’s easy to rack up yards when your OL is opening up holes that you could drive a truck through, but it’s another thing to understand blocking concepts, be patient, and see the hole once it’s there; Pooka has that. He’s extremely feisty and tough, and would immediately contribute since we have no other running backs. 

That’s it.  There’s till tons of holes… RB is very weak, we have one maybe-decent pass rusher… but I think this would put the team on the right path to success.  Also, if Dave Gettleman wants any more advice (I know he's reading this) I'm available for consultative work. 

What about you guys?  How do you fix the team this offseason? 

So can I be the new GM or what?