SportsWrath

Looks good in Giants blue.

BlueInCanada

3 hours ago, MikeGL said:

Are we going to draft a QB?

If Gettleman gets the boot I can see a discussion about it.

Let's say Jones misses another week of football, then the case had to be made he isn't able to stand up to the abuse you take and it's hurting his progress.

I don't think they use a first round pick but I wouldn't be surprised to see a second round pick be used on a guy like Trask who is supposedly a good pocket passer.

3 hours ago, MikeGL said:

Are we going to draft a QB?

Unless it's Trevor Lawrence (which isn't happening) and the fact that DJ may very well improve by leaps and bounds with a stud WR and TE and the fact that he'll benefit from having a staple coaching staff, then it's a no I don't think so. 

20 hours ago, Nas said:

Unless it's Trevor Lawrence (which isn't happening) and the fact that DJ may very well improve by leaps and bounds with a stud WR and TE and the fact that he'll benefit from having a staple coaching staff, then it's a no I don't think so. 

I think this is the likely case as well, though if DG is gone and we end up with a top-10 pick I think it's up in the air.  Jones is in year 3 and is still a major unknown, and that's not good. 

My gut tells me they stay with him, get him 2 NFL-caliber WRs and another good RB and see what happens next year.  He has to stop with the boneheaded fumbles though;  the guy has displayed zero pocket presence and ball security, and that's a huge problem. 

17 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

I think this is the likely case as well, though if DG is gone and we end up with a top-10 pick I think it's up in the air.  Jones is in year 3 and is still a major unknown, and that's not good. 

My gut tells me they stay with him, get him 2 NFL-caliber WRs and another good RB and see what happens next year.  He has to stop with the boneheaded fumbles though;  the guy has displayed zero pocket presence and ball security, and that's a huge problem. 

To be fair... the guy gets smashed which causes those fumbles... he needs protection so he will fumble less... Really unless you have a sure thing out there that you think will be better, no sense of throwing away a draft pick.    And I think Jones can be very good in this league. 

8 hours ago, Nas said:

To be fair... the guy gets smashed which causes those fumbles... 

If it was just that I could understand it, and about 2/3rds of the time it is that. 

The other 1/3 is just Jones having terrible awareness.  Sometimes it's a frontside rusher just coming up to him and taking the ball out of his hands (Markus Golden, Jamal Adams). Sometimes he's scrambling and not taking care of the ball.  At this point it has to stop; he's costing us games, and most QBs know that taking a sack is less damaging than a potential turnover.  

1 minute ago, Sephiroth said:

If it was just that I could understand it, and about 2/3rds of the time it is that. 

The other 1/3 is just Jones having terrible awareness.  Sometimes it's a frontside rusher just coming up to him and taking the ball out of his hands (Markus Golden, Jamal Adams). Sometimes he's scrambling and not taking care of the ball.  At this point it has to stop; he's costing us games, and most QBs know that taking a sack is less damaging than a potential turnover.  

Agreed.   I guess seeing that our options are limited anyway... he's what we have to work with.   

Also, I'm saying this before the game (which I expect us to lose badly): Dave Gettleman needs to be fired.

This will be his third straight 10 loss season.

Every good move we boast about he nullifies with a bad move, and the result is no improvement (eg offensive line is as bad as it was three years ago, as is the offense in general).

Our cap situation next year looks pretty bad, with much of it (over $40mm) bucketed into bad contracts Solder, Zeitler, and Tate. I realize we may cut one or more of them, but this is still bad, and still leaves a lot of useless dead cap. Point is we're going to be very limited in free agency (can likely only afford one big signing), especially as we have to figure out what to do about the DL with Tomlinson and Williams who are free agents. Just REFILLING the void at DL, if we decide to in free agency, is likely going to be our only major contract signing of free agency. 

I can't see us really adding anything this off-season in free agency (just replacing lost players, eg Tomlinson, Williams, or possibly Zeitler if we cut him), so we're going to need a home run draft class of immediate contributers if we want any chance at an 8-8 or better season.

Sorry but DG just hasn't brought any substantial improvement over Jerry Reese.

35 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Also, I'm saying this before the game (which I expect us to lose badly): Dave Gettleman needs to be fired.

This will be his third straight 10 loss season.

Every good move we boast about he nullifies with a bad move, and the result is no improvement (eg offensive line is as bad as it was three years ago, as is the offense in general).

Our cap situation next year looks pretty bad, with much of it (over $40mm) bucketed into bad contracts Solder, Zeitler, and Tate. I realize we may cut one or more of them, but this is still bad, and still leaves a lot of useless dead cap. Point is we're going to be very limited in free agency (can likely only afford one big signing), especially as we have to figure out what to do about the DL with Tomlinson and Williams who are free agents. Just REFILLING the void at DL, if we decide to in free agency, is likely going to be our only major contract signing of free agency. 

I can't see us really adding anything this off-season in free agency (just replacing lost players, eg Tomlinson, Williams, or possibly Zeitler if we cut him), so we're going to need a home run draft class of immediate contributers if we want any chance at an 8-8 or better season.

Sorry but DG just hasn't brought any substantial improvement over Jerry Reese.

I go back and forth on Getty.   On one hand, the record has been terrible, and there's no getting away from that.  This just is not an acceptable number of wins in the past three seasons. Additionally, he's had some terrible signings.  Omameh and Solder were both bad, as was the Panthers' RB.  Pat Shurmur was a bad head coach, and most could see that from a mile away. 

However, I think we should also note what he came into, and what the expectations of the franchise were at the time.  We keep saying "he's in year three of the rebuild" but I think the Maras asked him to put what he could around Eli in those first two years to have "one last push."  So he did what he could... got an overpriced LT that isn't very good but is a lot better than Flowers, and signed a stopgap RB and Guard.  They were the best he could do on short notice... in that light, we're really in year one of the rebuild.

When Odell started acting like an asshole, he made the best he could of the situation.  Honestly, I think we won that trade.  Odell carries a 12 million dead cap hit this upcoming year by himself, and Vernon would have been an 11 million hit if they had cut him this year.  They're just not very good players anymore. Of the contacts you listed, we're only "stuck" with Solder.  Cutting Zeitler and Tate frees up about 16 million of cap space with about a six million hit this year.  That's not horrible. 

He's done some pretty good things too. We have a pretty good roster defensively; Williams, Lawrence, Martinez, Bradbury, Peppers, and Ryan are all playmakers Getty went out and got, which is a lot more than he was left with.  Gates looks to be a very good center, and Thomas/Limeaux look to be at least serviceable, I'd argue good.   Shurmur was a bad hire, but who was the good hire that year? Frank Reich was demonstrably better but the Bills literally backed into that one;  Patricia, Wilks, etc. were are all at least as bad.  Matt Nagy seems pretty decent but he also had a lot more to work with on that roster.  I think Vrabel was a lot better.

I love the Judge hire.  I don't know what to think yet about Daniel Jones.  Also this WR corps is pretty terrible (though maybe that's Garrett; they all got open last year). 

So yeah, I go back and forth.  I've read that Judge wants more say in personnel decisions and since all his coaching hires have more or less worked out, and the "organization" hire (Garrett) seems to be the weak link so far, I think he might get that.  That could mean Getty goes.   I think at the end of the day though I'd give him one more year;  they look to at least be headed in the right direction. 

I may be going against conventional wisdom here but we still need OL help and whoever is the BPA where we pick we should take regardless of position of course.. however if it comes down to WR vs OL, I'd go OL.     You guys seem to be forgetting we have a very talented RB... that can benefit (along with our young QB of course) from a better OL.   

I always find it futile to try say who we should draft prior to seeing who we sign in free agency.  

Fun but futile.   

You could make an argument for almost any position as of right now lol.  

31 minutes ago, Pdouble said:

I always find it futile to try say who we should draft prior to seeing who we sign in free agency.  

Fun but futile.   

You could make an argument for almost any position as of right now lol.  

I just don't see the Giants landing a WR in FA, or atleast not a play maker.

Maybe another Shepard.

Robinson is going to be the big guy this off season and he's going to be making 18+ million, money the Giants simply wont have this year.

Preferably we maybe get a guy like Corey Davis, and then draft Smith.

All those games and times we've seen Jones standing in the pocket going through his reads almost twice before having to throw the ball away and scramble "should" be a thing of the past with Smith, Davis, Shepard and Slayton out there.

1 hour ago, Nas said:

I may be going against conventional wisdom here but we still need OL help and whoever is the BPA where we pick we should take regardless of position of course.. however if it comes down to WR vs OL, I'd go OL.     You guys seem to be forgetting we have a very talented RB... that can benefit (along with our young QB of course) from a better OL.   

I feel we've invested into the OL position and need to let the rookies play.

Going into next year the Oline is probably going to look like Thomas, Lemioux, Gates, Zeitler (or FA), Peart.

Sure we will sign a FA or two, probably draft a late round guard possible, but right now as the roster stands (as Pdoub said) before free agency, we got some major holes elsewhere to fill on this team I'd rather throw the higher round picks at.