SportsWrath

Give this man his money already

BlueInCanada

He was holding out for $10 milion a season. That's what Collins was looking for. Gettlemen felt the position wasn't worth the price then. Ryan was only signed for $6million on a one year due to the shit with Beal and Baker. It's a nice story and he's done well for us but this reminds me of the Robin Lehner situation with the Islanders. Signed a one year deal, played great, fans wanted him to stay so did he. Islanders let him go. I think the same happens here.

The fear here is that it may end up like Janoris Jenkins, great first year, then tanked it and caught a bad attitude. 

45 minutes ago, boohyah said:

He was holding out for $10 milion a season. That's what Collins was looking for. Gettlemen felt the position wasn't worth the price then. Ryan was only signed for $6million on a one year due to the shit with Beal and Baker. It's a nice story and he's done well for us but this reminds me of the Robin Lehner situation with the Islanders. Signed a one year deal, played great, fans wanted him to stay so did he. Islanders let him go. I think the same happens here.

The fear here is that it may end up like Janoris Jenkins, great first year, then tanked it and caught a bad attitude. 

Collins was a one trick pony though, and he's basically a LB.

Logan is the complete safety being able to play all aspects of the game at a high level.

If anything DG will do to Peppers what he did to Collins.

You can call Collins basically a linebacker or whatever. He was listed as a safety and we didn't pay him. Logan Ryan has been spotty in the past and many Titans fans will tell you wasn't worth what he was paid either.

He's had a good season so far no question. I'd offer him a 2 year deal max like Pdub said but I'd give him $8million a year tops. No more. He might give the Giants a break because of his wife but if he makes it difficult, I'd let him walk.

By the way, I agree, I think Peppers will get screwed and truth is he's getting better out there.

Giants have to become a team that spends more money on draft picks that work out. That's why I'm advocating DT gets paid first. 

The top 5 safeties in the league make ~$ 11-$16mm, (in terms of their cap hit). Logan Ryan is not a type 5 safety so he won't get that kind of money, especially if the salary cap is going down or flat next year.

He is though somewhere between a top 6 to 20 safety in the league, who generally make ~$5 - $11.

I can't see him signing for $5-6mm. The sweet spot for Logan Ryan seems to be ~$8-10mm per year. I think it's just a matter of how many years on the contract. 

I wouldn't mess around. Offer him 3 years $30mm, with snap count incentives like he has now. You can backload the contract so the 2021 cap hit is only ~$8mm, which is reasonable. 

Let's not forget the guy is on the field for nearly 100% of the snaps in most weeks. He's also a veteran and a leader who's been vital for us.

He has played very well for the team this year and has been a difference maker out there.  If he wants to come back the Giants can make it happen and if he wants to cash in on the success he has had this season, another team will make that happen for him.

5 hours ago, boohyah said:

You can call Collins basically a linebacker or whatever. He was listed as a safety and we didn't pay him. Logan Ryan has been spotty in the past and many Titans fans will tell you wasn't worth what he was paid either.

He's had a good season so far no question. I'd offer him a 2 year deal max like Pdub said but I'd give him $8million a year tops. No more. He might give the Giants a break because of his wife but if he makes it difficult, I'd let him walk.

By the way, I agree, I think Peppers will get screwed and truth is he's getting better out there.

Giants have to become a team that spends more money on draft picks that work out. That's why I'm advocating DT gets paid first. 

So your saying that Logan Ryan and Collins are the same type of safety? Since they are "listed as safety".

Listen all I'm saying is when you hit on a free agents you don't cast them off because of you have draft picks performing as well. As you might notice we don't have a lot of draft picks invested in the secondary performing right now.

I'm not saying pay him 12 millions a year but he's easily worth the 8 to 9 he's going to command in FA and at two or three years he provides security for a weak group on the team, while we look for more options at safet. Let's not forget Peppers is a FA in two years as well, he could leave for the money too so let's lock a guy down who will be here for that time.

Yes Tomlinson should get paid too.

I honestly believe you let Williams walk and sign Tomlinson and Ryan for what Williams will be asking.

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

So your saying that Logan Ryan and Collins are the same type of safety? Since they are "listed as safety".

Listen all I'm saying is when you hit on a free agents you don't cast them off because of you have draft picks performing as well. As you might notice we don't have a lot of draft picks invested in the secondary performing right now.

I'm not saying pay him 12 millions a year but he's easily worth the 8 to 9 he's going to command in FA and at two or three years he provides security for a weak group on the team, while we look for more options at safet. Let's not forget Peppers is a FA in two years as well, he could leave for the money too so let's lock a guy down who will be here for that time.

I honestly believe you let Williams walk and sign Tomlinson and Ryan for what Williams will be asking.

Agreed 100%

I don't know all the cap math, but I recall Reese blowing the bank on overpriced free agents.    I'd rather pay (and maybe overpay) to keep guys on the team who have performed as players and leaders, than bring in someone who is unknown from a team chemistry standpoint.

The NFL Salary cap is going to go down for 2021 instead of dramatically up for a change.  I do not see salary cap problems for the NY Giants yet I see Xavier McKinney waiting in the wings here.  Doesn't make much cents to lockup Logan Ryan long term or even short term.

22 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

They are safeties. You can call Collins a glorified Linebacker based off the way he played, he's listed as a safety and if we had franchised Collins, it would have been based off the highest paid safeties. And back then Gettlemen didn't think the position was worth that so he let him walk. Not sure what makes this time any different. 

2 years, 8 million. That's more than good enough for the guy. Again, focus on the draft picks and pay those guys. 

Jabril Peppers is the guy I'd be focusing on because he's 25 and playing better for us and is on a rookie contract. But I fear he will fall the same way.

I sign Tomlinson and work from there.