SportsWrath

N.Y. Giants vs. Pittsburgh Steelers Gameday Thread

BronxRik

@BIC...pretty much agree.  Team played better than I expected.  We moved the ball against a very talented defense despite not having a run game all night.

Engram plays because he's extremely athletic.  It just doesn't translate to the field.  The poor blocking and drops at this point should pave way for Kaden Smith to start.  Still give EE some chances when a matchup dictates, but he needs to move down the deprh chart at this point.

Barkley, I don't see as trade bait.  His work ethic, his personality, to me anyhow, mean a lot.  The negotiations will be tough, but I think he needs to stay until we get him an adequate line to run behind.

Defensively, I think it was about as good as this unit is going to play this year.  And that doesn't bode well.

All that said, I think Chicago will be a much better litmus test for how much we have improved.

There were enough mistakes to go around, but the difference in that game last night was Evan Engram. Had he played a marginally professional quality game - just half the drops, just half the missed blocks - good chance it makes that a tight game at the end.

The drops were bad, but he was getting all kinds of fucked up on run plays. 

I suspect he (or somebody) has a run v pass tell, because the Steelers were completely selling out on run plays like they knew what was coming. 

5 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

There were enough mistakes to go around, but the difference in that game last night was Evan Engram. Had he played a marginally professional quality game - just half the drops, just half the missed blocks - good chance it makes that a tight game at the end.

I suspect he (or somebody) has a run v pass tell, because the Steelers were completely selling out on run plays like they knew what was coming. 

Yes, and they had it picked out without having any film to review so it is either something that has been going on for a long time or is glaring.

47 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

When you can negate a teams rushing attack like they did you don't really need to worry about just telling your Dline to watch their gap assignment, they can just pin their ears back and get into the backfield.

Normal you counter that with draw plays and letting the edge rushers run themselves out of a play via Osi style.

The problem with the Steelers is their front 7 is so athletic they commit to an all out pass blitz but still get to the RB.

They went after Gates, Flemming and even Zeitler who failed miserably at stopping them.

7 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

People have been talking about this after his first season since you don't pay running backs and you can find them in the 7th round.

Hahah yeah.  

But trading him after his worst performance isn’t really the best way to do it haha.  

Why in gods name would Barkley even want to resign here? They better start lining up a trade partner right now. The team is going to fucking suck and he’s going to be commanding Kamara numbers. 

They simply can not afford to make another Beckham mistake and resign the guy then trade him and take on all that dead money again. Gettleman should have been fired the first time he did it.

54 minutes ago, Pdouble said:

I know you guys are probably just talking out of emotion after a bad game, but you shouldn’t trade someone when his stock is at its lowest.  

Or you know core pieces of a team.

We have no problem blowing money on guys like Williams or Golden, Fackrell etc but come to a guy like Barkley who wants to be here and can be a core price for years and let's just let them walk lol

Well be the Chargers of the NFC, no one wants to play there because they won't get paid unless they under achieve lol 

Giants have things to work out which was expected.  Martinez impressed me out there as did Bradberry and yeah even Williams.  Pass protection was pretty good when you compared it to the run blocking.  Evan Engram remains an underwhelming performer on game day.