SportsWrath

Random Giants History Topic: Most Underrated/Underappreciated Giants of the Past 20 Years

mastershake

A few come to mind:

- DL Keith Hamilton

- QB Kerry Collins. Helped us out of the QB hell of the mid to late 90's.

- CB Corey Webster. The guy had a rough first few years, but was a very solid and consistent starting cover corner over the next 6 seasons and two super bowl runs.

- WR Steve Smith. Couldn't stay on the field, but still managed to make critical plays in the '07 super bowl run, and holds the giants reception record.

- C Sean O'Hara.

- OL Dave Diehl. I feel like we always give Snee and Kareem McKenzie lots of credit, but rarely mention Diehl and O'Hara were also good, longtime starters.

- DL Barry Cofield.

- DL Linval Joseph.

S Gibril Wilson only played a a few years but was a vital piece in the 2007 SB run. Was a good free safety who the Giants still haven't been able to replace.

WR Amani Toomer, we as Giants fans know how good he was but he is constantly snubbed as a top WR during his time by NFL pundits. Guy was one of the best WRs in the NFL from 1999 to 2003 and when shifted to the #2 spot he continued to produce. He should be a HoFer but there's a log jam at WR.

FB Madison Hedgecock, guy was the lead blocker for some of the best rushing years in NY Giants history.

LB Micheal Barrow was also a very solid player during his time here that many fans forgot about.

First two names that came to mind were Corey Webster and Dave Diehl.  Diehl played every position on the line...classic jack of all trades, master of none.  Webby was solid.  The SB offensive line as a whole was somewhat underrated, but Diehl leads that description more than the others.

Steve Smith would've broken a shit ton of records because he could find that open spot in a defense like no other....until he destroyed his knee.  Was never the same after.

Collins is a good call.  When on, he was dominant.  When off, he was terrible.  Just streaky as hell...but far and away better than Kent Graham, Dave Brown, Jesse Palmer, etc.

9 hours ago, Herc said:

Hakeem Nicks was barely in the super bowl video and people to this day still think Cruz was our best wr of that era 

Good call.

Plax/Crux/OBJ get all the highlight time, but Nicks caught the most TD passes in the playoffs from Eli, 5 I think.

Shame his foot/ankle just gave out of him.

21 minutes ago, Pdouble said:

Fred Robbins. 

Great choice.

Id like to add Chase Blackburn. Dude came off the street to end up outjumping Gronk in the Super Bowl for a significant interception.

Please, hugger- the DeOssie's have photos of the Maras in compromosing positions. That's the only explanation for why we've been cursed with that family for generations. 

I would say Brandon Marshall :)

ok, Aaron Ross- came up big where it counted most. 

I know I’m gonna catch hell for this one, but I used to really like Omar Stoutmire(sp?). The guy hit like a truck, and caused several fumbles. I remember defending him a lot, while it seemed like everyone I talked to hated him. 

On 4/13/2020 at 4:07 PM, mastershake said:

A few come to mind:

- DL Keith Hamilton

- QB Kerry Collins. Helped us out of the QB hell of the mid to late 90's.

- CB Corey Webster. The guy had a rough first few years, but was a very solid and consistent starting cover corner over the next 6 seasons and two super bowl runs.

- WR Steve Smith. Couldn't stay on the field, but still managed to make critical plays in the '07 super bowl run, and holds the giants reception record.

- C Sean O'Hara.

- OL Dave Diehl. I feel like we always give Snee and Kareem McKenzie lots of credit, but rarely mention Diehl and O'Hara were also good, longtime starters.

- DL Barry Cofield.

- DL Linval Joseph.

I remember going to a Giants practice few years back. O’Hara walked right past me as they were coming off the field. OMG the guy was a beast. Very intimidating looking. 

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

How about a round of applause for our bone-on-bone in the knee safeties, Shaun Williams and Kenny Phillips. Both good players until injuries got the better of them.

Sorry. Kenny Phillips was going to be a star. Shaun Williams has no business on this list. A disappointment overall.