SportsWrath

Giants 1st Round Mocks

Nas

3 hours ago, Pdouble said:

Simmons weighed in at more than he did playing at Clemson.    He was 230 at Clemson and was 238 at the combine. 

234  from what I've read.

He didn't come in with more weight on him was my point and also my concern he still isn't ready to handle the big mollies in the NFL.

Read any draft profile on him and they all repeat the same thing he doesn't have the stength to shed blocks and if he's used right he could be a great defender in the NFL"

Kinda worries me that you take a guy in the top 5 and he'll only be a good player if you have to devote time to figuring out where his strengths are on the field.

4 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

…. he'll only be a good player if you have to devote time to figuring out where his strengths are on the field.

…. since almost everything but taking on big blockers is a strength, that shouldn't take much time. 

27 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

…. since almost everything but taking on big blockers is a strength, that shouldn't take much time. 

We havent had a good track record of developing schemes to players strengths.

I don't know these "hyrbird" players scare me, they normally don't work out.

However maybe Graham puts him in a $LB role.

2 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

Since the strength of the team, especially if it includes Leonard Williams, is in the space eaters up front, I am not over concerned about the one weakness.

Considering he'll be playing the edge (if he's moved to Lb) and facing OTs and TEs on a regular basis I would be.

At the same time if your telling me he's going to be playing in the secondary more or as a slot $LB lining up across from WRs then he'll probably excel coming of the blindside blitz.

That's not he's only weakness like you said and analysts have pointed out the guy isn't physical or a brawler.

He's a ball hawk open space tackler type of player.

If he was a CB the guy would probably be the best player coming out of the draft in the last 20 years.

Instead he's a tweener with no true position who needs to "have his position figured out" by a DC.

Just scares me for a team that's in the middle of a rebuild looking for a franchise player not an experiment. 

Who knows though in 5 years he could be a pro bowler, probably not, but that's what great about being an 5-11 team what else do we have to look forward too right now?

Although I'm not saying if he does turn out to be what's advertised a player who can literally play DE/LB/CB/Safety can be coached and utilized every week to the fullest at four?

Then who wouldn't want that player?

I've just never seen it at the NFL level yet or at least successfully.

Giants dont seem too enamored with Isiah Simmons at this point. Theyve met with a couple more OL and DTs from other colleges - maybe thats for the 2-3rd round type prospects. I think we trade down and pick up some blue chip guys that Judge and his scouting team like. Becton/Wirfs would be first round picks for us even if we draft down - ala trade places with the Chargers for example.

8 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

Giants dont seem too enamored with Isiah Simmons at this point. Theyve met with a couple more OL and DTs from other colleges - maybe thats for the 2-3rd round type prospects. I think we trade down and pick up some blue chip guys that Judge and his scouting team like. Becton/Wirfs would be first round picks for us even if we draft down - ala trade places with the Chargers for example.

Simmons slayed it in the combine this weekend

Simmons sat out on-field drills, but he did more than enough during the testing portion of his workout to confirm that he is indeed the type of freakish athlete that teams will covet in the draft. He led all linebackers with a 4.39-second 40-yard dash. He also impressed with a 39-inch vertical and 11-foot broad jump. The 238-pounder is the first player since at least 2003 to record a 38-plus-inch vertical jump, broad jump of 11 feet or more and a sub-4.4 40-yard dash at the combine while weighing 230-plus pounds, per NFL Research.

1 hour ago, Herc said:

Telvin Smith is 218 pounds and one of the best linebackers in the game 

Easy there he had one good year and outside of that he could never finish a full season and even at his best he wasn't even one of the best on his team let alone the NFL lol

2 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Easy there he had one good year and outside of that he could never finish a full season and even at his best he wasn't even one of the best on his team let alone the NFL lol

As usual your level of football knowledge is the exact inverse of your level of cringy irrational confidence. 

On 2/28/2020 at 9:35 AM, BlueInCanada said:

DT Derrick Brown is shooting up people's draft boards and how athletically he is a better player than Young at this point.

Some speculation that the Giants might take him at #4 and pair him with Lawrence and a FA like Clowney and let them cause havoc on the front four.

It wouldn't be without precedent, Getty has drafted IDL highly in Carolina.

Edge is the bigger problem for us... DTs don't really rush anyone.. they just hold the gaps... We need a really really good DE... if we have a shot at Young, would be stupid to pass on him.  Besides we have good young DTs anyway...

22 minutes ago, Herc said:

As usual your level of football knowledge is the exact inverse of your level of cringy irrational confidence. 

I never knew someone could be so hurt by something said on the internet?

What was it I said? I apologise that I occupy a place in your mind to make you use the word cringe in 2020.

Or I guess I could just say some LB in the NFL was the best in the league without you know even taking a quick look at his stats or even what the NFL thinks of him lol

If PFF is your thing he never graded higher than the top 30 in the NFL for LBs.

If you trust the fanbase you would see the Jack is still the commonly regarded best LB on the team.

But oh well.

Think what you must of me I still love ya Herc ❤️

26 minutes ago, Prince_Nas said:

Edge is the bigger problem for us... DTs don't really rush anyone.. they just hold the gaps... We need a really really good DE... if we have a shot at Young, would be stupid to pass on him.  Besides we have good young DTs anyway...

Oh I'm not saying I want Brown just that Getty has a history of heavily investing in the big boys on the DL and Brown is regarded as one of the best players in the draft.

I wouldnt be surprised to see it happen.

Four man front of Williams/Brown/Lawrence/FA like Clowney would be kinda scary.

Or you could, you know, actually watch football games instead of watching people talk about football on tv.  That’s why you had to run to google for some of that sweet sweet confirmation bias as soon as I brought him up.  Ill tell you what, since you’ve probably only ever seen smith actually play football in a couple of playoff game highlights on sportscenter, next time you wanna do a deep dive on him ask Siri why the jaguars gave him one of the highest non-pass rusher linebacker contracts in the league.  

Well to me with his fantastic combine and demonstrably fast speed and agility, Simmons just made the case for why he can and should be moved SS in this league. If we took him and put him a SS, I'd be happy with it. I'm not sure we're going to extend Peppers after this year, the last year in his contract, though he does have the 1 year option if we choose to exercise it.

Simmons can be the next Troy Palamalu, but hopefully without the injuries.

Other case for him might be WILL LB in a 4-3 scheme. MLB could be difficult for him. 

Either way, he's likely going to be a successful defender in the league for a long time.

19 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Well to me with his fantastic combine and demonstrably fast speed and agility, Simmons just made the case for why he can and should be moved SS in this league. If we took him and put him a SS, I'd be happy with it. I'm not sure we're going to extend Peppers after this year, the last year in his contract, though he does have the 1 year option if we choose to exercise it.

Simmons can be the next Troy Palamalu, but hopefully without the injuries.

Other case for him might be WILL LB in a 4-3 scheme. MLB could be difficult for him. 

Either way, he's likely going to be a successful defender in the league for a long time.

I think he’d be a star at ilb in a 3/4.  

The only way Ill be happy by drafting Simmons is if the DC has a proper plan in place to unleash him and utilize him to the fullest. Because if we cant do that, then he will be between hell and high water and will neither be an effective LB nor a dominant Safety. It might actually kill his potential. Thats why Im skeptical because this team has not showed the kind of defensive intelligence and creativity that will allow Simmons to be at his best. Thats why Id rather we go with the best available OL.