SportsWrath

Giants 1st Round Mocks

Nas

Oh well - whats done is done. I think Getty thought Williams would turn this defense around and in a shitty division we might actually do better than 4-5 wins and get to 8-8 or something and then automatically the picks become less valuable - assuming Giants were picking middle of the pack. But that did happen and since we are still picking this high is what is making this shitty trade seem even shittier. Richard Seymour has been working extensively with Leonard Williams this offseason I believe - lets see if the Giants do re-sign him.

On 2/15/2020 at 5:41 PM, CrazedDogs said:

If a guy improves the team I can't fault the move. But I think the most damning thing about the trade wasn't what we gave up, it was that Gettleman thought the Giants might be just one Leonard Williams away from competing. 

That was a dumb move anyway you look at it. 

On 2/16/2020 at 7:32 PM, mastershake said:

Oh now you don't care about the draft picks because it was never your decision? When has any Giants front office decision been your decision? Lol

I didn't say I was an expert. All I said is it's rudimentary football knowledge that draft picks, which don't matter to you, are precious assets that help build a team. One must work in an NFL front office to grasp that?

Having said that, let's review the facts:

- We traded a 3rd and 4th/5th rounder (and a high draft picks in each round) for an underachieving Leonard Williams, for 8 games in a failing season.

So what the hell did we get in return for those two draft picks? What other team not going on a playoff run does this?

If we wanted him as a FA all along, we could have bid for and signed him in the off-season without giving up two draft picks, one of which is a premium pick.

Getty threw away and wasted those draft picks for NOTHING. That is gross incompetence.

And when you say we've wasted entire drafts...yeah. Bad GMs waste their draft picks. Our GM just wasted two of ours.

None of them which is why I don't get worked up about mock drafts and who we draft or don't draft, sign or don't sign.  Gettleman thinks Williams is an asset to build the team on, that is all that matters and how that works out falls on Gettleman.  Gettleman thinks he got someone worth two draft picks and that is all that matters.  If Gettleman is a bad GM, he'll be replaced.  I think he has gotten more right than wrong.

59 minutes ago, Tempest said:

None of them which is why I don't get worked up about mock drafts and who we draft or don't draft, sign or don't sign.  Gettleman thinks Williams is an asset to build the team on, that is all that matters and how that works out falls on Gettleman.  Gettleman thinks he got someone worth two draft picks and that is all that matters.  If Gettleman is a bad GM, he'll be replaced.  I think he has gotten more right than wrong.

you're doing it wrong!!!

15 hours ago, Storm said:

I don’t worry about the Giants giving up a third for Leonard Williams when they resign him. The Giants third round track record is ridiculously bad. 

Yeah - after the first couple, Giants brass do shots and get shitfaced over the crapazoola theyve done already and wake up by Round 5 or something

On 2/18/2020 at 7:30 AM, Tempest said:

"Gettleman thinks he got someone worth two draft picks....for 8 games...in a failing season.

Cuts to free up cap space, and cut the dead weight:

Ogletree

Ellison

Kareem Martin

Bethea

Free agency:

DL Chris Jones, 6 years $135 million

LB Corey Littleton, 5 years $75-85 million

CB Byron Jones, 5 years $75-85 million

C Graham Glasgow, 5 years, $60 million

Re-signings

Olb Markus Golden, 3 years $24 million

OT Mike Remmers (as a backup) 1 year, $2mm

Lb David Meyo (backup, depth) 1 year, minimum

WR Corey Coleman 1 year, minimum

Draft:

1st: Best OT available. Thur far, I like Jedrick Willis

2nd: DE/OLB Jonathan Greenard, or best Edge available.

3rd (assuming compensatory pick for Landon Collins), best S available.

On 2/22/2020 at 10:33 AM, mastershake said:

Cuts to free up cap space, and cut the dead weight:

Ogletree

Ellison

Kareem Martin

Bethea

Free agency:

DL Chris Jones, 6 years $135 million

LB Corey Littleton, 5 years $75-85 million

CB Byron Jones, 5 years $75-85 million

C Graham Glasgow, 5 years, $60 million

Re-signings

Olb Markus Golden, 3 years $24 million

OT Mike Remmers (as a backup) 1 year, $2mm

Lb David Meyo (backup, depth) 1 year, minimum

WR Corey Coleman 1 year, minimum

Draft:

1st: Best OT available. Thur far, I like Jedrick Willis

2nd: DE/OLB Jonathan Greenard, or best Edge available.

3rd (assuming compensatory pick for Landon Collins), best S available.

Golden is in the $15 million range and you can forget about a 3 year contract, going for 6.  Remmers is around $8-10 million.

22 hours ago, Herc said:

Drafting Haskins in the first place was the godsend, cutting bait is probably the smart move.

Haskins is the guy who came out of the game to take selfies. I'm guessing Rivera wants no part of him. Neither would I.

6 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

Drafting Haskins in the first place was the godsend, cutting bait is probably the smart move.

Haskins is the guy who came out of the game to take selfies. I'm guessing Rivera wants no part of him. Neither would I.

I believe Snyder has already said Haskins stays.

As much as I want to believe that Rivera would have the balls to try and stand up to Danny boy, it's still Snyders little pet project of a team so I doubt there's any real chance he could be convinced otherwise.

8 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

Redskins have been really hitting rock bottom by going for black QBs. Griffin 3 got butthurt. Haskins looks like a poor man's Winston with maybe Jamarcus Russell's work ethic. They need to listen to MMSFH on his advice :D

DT Derrick Brown is shooting up people's draft boards and how athletically he is a better player than Young at this point.

Some speculation that the Giants might take him at #4 and pair him with Lawrence and a FA like Clowney and let them cause havoc on the front four.

It wouldn't be without precedent, Getty has drafted IDL highly in Carolina.

All of the top four offensive tackles have some very elite traits. Two of them will still be there in the mid first. If only this were the situation that year we settled for Justin Pugh. God what a low ceiling player to be picked so high. 

For this year, with this roster, got to be a trade back situation....  Simmons, an OT, a pass rusher.... Lots of mid round talent that fills needs at positions of weakness.

14 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

All of the top four offensive tackles have some very elite traits. Two of them will still be there in the mid first. If only this were the situation that year we settled for Justin Pugh. God what a low ceiling player to be picked so high. 

For this year, with this roster, got to be a trade back situation....  Simmons, an OT, a pass rusher.... Lots of mid round talent that fills needs at positions of weakness.

Pugh was a good player he was just hurt.

He would of been a 12 year starter, the guy could just never stay on the field.

The only trade back scenario is if Okudah is gone by three, otherwise you settle for one of the lesser OTs in the mid rounds of you can hopefully get a trade partner.

I also think Pugh would have been an only slightly below average left tackle as well.  Which is better than we’ve had in a while. 

Ive been happy so far with Gettlemans drafting, I know it’s too early to judge but I’m glad he took Barkley and I’m glad he took Jones.  The draft is fun. 

11 minutes ago, Pdouble said:

I also think Pugh would have been an only slightly below average left tackle as well.  Which is better than we’ve had in a while. 

Ive been happy so far with Gettlemans drafting, I know it’s too early to judge but I’m glad he took Barkley and I’m glad he took Jones.  The draft is fun. 

I like Getty drafting he trusts his scouts and has an eye for talent.

I don't like Getty in FA though lol

4 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

I like Getty drafting he trusts his scouts and has an eye for talent.

I don't like Getty in FA though lol

Which is funny because under Accorsi, if I recall correctly, Gettleman was the pro personnel guy and Reese was the draft guy.  

19 minutes ago, Herc said:

Wow 4.39 40 for Simmons

He came in underweight too.

I'm thinking he was told to make a choice, beef up and be a LB in the NFL, or drop wright and get faster and become a box safety.

He'll get drafted high, but he wont be a tradition LB in the NFL.

More of safety who's going to play on the line/rush/cover a slot.