SportsWrath

What I've been saying since Gettleman's hiring

Sephiroth

22 hours ago, MakeMeSomeFoodHo said:

Yup..that’s one of the reasons why you should never spend a high draft pick on a running back. 

I think you do if he's "the piece" that's been missing... sort of like what Dallas tried to do when Romo was there and they thought a game-breaking back would get them to the Super Bowl.

The logic was correct, they just forgot that Tony Rom--- ahh nevermind, he's hurt again. 

On 1/16/2020 at 12:03 PM, Sephiroth said:

I agree. 

But if you listen to the talking heads on ESPN, NFL network... hell, even here... they'd lead you to believe that "the running game is dead," "RB isn't an important position," etc.  Running games are important and except for a few outliers (Moss-era Patriots, Green Bay, etc) most teams need to have a good one to win it all. 

I honestly think that stopping the run is more important than running the ball yourself. But it depends on the team. If you get teams constantly in second and third and long all game, you’re giving yourself a higher percentage to win. It also makes them one dimensional so you can start rushing the passer even on what were rushing downs. It happened to the Giants all season when Barkley was injured and recovering while playing.

However, the way to beat a team like KC, New Orleans, and even Baltimore is to run the ball and keep their offense off the field. And it’s a big reason why Tennessee beat some strong teams. Yes, those teams can basically score at will. But you have to limit their opportunities to. If you can limit a team like Baltimore to 9 possessions versus 12 just by controlling the football, you’ve shaved points off the scoreboard.  Baltimore was very careless with the football in that game too, which hadn’t happened all season. So the Titans got lucky in that respect.