SportsWrath

Giants hire joe judge

Herc

So I was the only person that asked "Who" after reading this today?

Acing the interview is one thing, turning it into results is another.  Ben McAdoo and Pat Shurmur both aced the interview.  Giants don't have to be bold, they have to be right as this is now the third head coach they are paying in four years.

Yeah good thing they fired Tom Coughlin  :LMAO:

1 hour ago, Tempest said:

So I was the only person that asked "Who" after reading this today?

Acing the interview is one thing, turning it into results is another.  Ben McAdoo and Pat Shurmur both aced the interview.  Giants don't have to be bold, they have to be right as this is now the third head coach they are paying in four years.

Yeah good thing they fired Tom Coughlin  :LMAO:

I mean I heard about him and the praises that Billy the Wise was saying about him.

I mean the Giants wanted to do something that wasn't in their norm.

Well this was it.

I don't blame them for not going after the bidding war for Rhule or a year out of service McCarthy. 

Just surprised it wasn't the Cheifs or Ravens OC.

2 hours ago, Treehugger said:

Garrett's had 13 years as HC. He's made his bank, no need for him to even think about accepting a lesser position. He can afford to sit around for a couple of years and see what opportunities come up.

I mean sure fire way to kill any coaching career.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/60230/hiring-joe-judge-a-bold-stroke-by-giants-who-need-to-shake-things-up

But this is what the Giants are getting:

"He's very intense. Joe is really passionate about what he does," Patriots special-teams captain Matthew Slater said in a 2017 story by ESPN's Mike Reiss. "He has a hyperattention to detail; there is no stone unturned by the time we get to the game, and we feel super prepared and know he's going to put us in position to make plays. As a player, that's all you can ask for. And you have to appreciate the energy and passion with which he coaches. I think it really carries over to us as players. We love going out there and playing for him, and for each other."

While Slater is clearly a fan, when speaking with other players about Judge, there were mixed reviews. He's not universally loved, and that might be a good thing. A franchise that has the worst record in the NFL since the start of the 2017 season needs to shake things up. The Giants need to make things uncomfortable in order to precipitate the changes necessary to get the franchise back on track.

When I first read about the news I didnt know what to expect. I was hoping it was Rhule all the way.

But now - the more Ive read, researched, seen videos and interviews and other stuff - Im super excited as fuck about Joe Judge. Few things that got me feeling that this was the best possible hire in the current situation that the Giants are in -

1) Bellichick always spent an extended amount of time with Judge before EVERY NFL game going over the game plan and getting his inputs

2) Nick Saban has also given a very glorious report about Judge

3) Bellichick himself called the Giants and endorsed Judge in a very positive way - albeit this could also be him trying to take revenge on the Giants for kicking his ass twice :)

The guy is young - 37-38 - and has that no-nonsense detail oriented approach and also has a certain demeanor about him that makes people want to listen

Being a young guy - his connect with the younger players will be much better and they can relate better

Seems like a very intelligent dude.

Plus - Bill Bellichick, Tomlin and Harbaugh were all Special teams coordinators before they got their Head Coaching gig. Hell - we dont have to go too far - Bill Parcells himself was a no name until he got his HC gig with the Giants.

I for one was not excited about McCarthy (although he felt like the safest choice) or McDaniels (he might again pull some Colts type stunt if Brady returns for 1 more year which looks like it - that fucker isnt going to end his career on a pick-6). Garrett is definite NO unless its for OC.

Now that we have Judge as the HC, few things Id like this offseason -

Get Kris Richard as DC - he used the wide Cover 3 approach that almost all teams are adopting

Get Wink or the Chiefs or the Bills guy as OC and let them do their job.

Get rid of the larger contracts like Ogletree, Ellison and all the heavy contracts which will free up an addition ~22mill in cap space (I think may 7mill of dead cap money) which can be used to get someone like a Jack Conklin, an edge rusher.

Preferably trade back in the draft....maybe even multiple times with say the Raiders or Dolphins and grab a bevy of picks

I hope I can get where you are Iceman. 

I see a few good coaches were at one time special team coaches. I don’t have a problem with that. My thing is that he went straight to the top from there. That to me is crazy.