SportsWrath

Shurmur expected to be fired at season's end, Getty expected to be on short leash.

BlueInCanada

31 minutes ago, mastershake said:

My problem with Schurmer is:

1) He seems content with just being "in the game" i.e. being within a score or two by the 4th quarter. He's also seemingly content if they have a few nice drives, defensive series etc, so he can say "Hey, we looked good there for a few minutes." 

2) Complete mis-use of Saquon Barkley in particular, but also others on offense.

3) Poor planning. Poor in game adjustments, adjustments on the fly. Salient example is the 2nd half of the Phili game.

4) He makes far too many excuses "We're young" "We're injured" "That guy didn't do what he was supposed to do" and refuses to take responsibility.

5) He has clearly been outfoxed by other coaches several times over the past 2 years.

Lol, they are young and injured. That’s why it’s a positive that they’re in games. That’s also why the team sucks. But he can’t come out and say they suck so he’s positive in his media appearance.

10 minutes ago, Storm said:

Based on the fact that he has the second worst roster in the NbFL right now, lol. 

Who says they're the 2nd worst roster?

The eagles on Mon were as young and injured as the Giants, if not more, and we still lost...Boston fucking Scott are you kidding me???

The Jets may have an OL worse than ours.

Lots of young, injured teams with bad rosters doing better than us.

The thing I don't like is the Dolphins.

Their roster is as bad if not worse than the Giants.

Their starting RB is literally a guy they just picked up off the street lol

Yet you look at them the last 5 weeks and Brian Flores has them playing like they all want to keep their jobs. 

Shurmur has this team playing like they are all being shown the door after week 17.

It's like he's content with just coasting by till the end of the year.

However I do agree this roster is one of the worst in the NFL in terms of depth, talent and continuity.

We have bright spots and the rookies are starting to develope but we still have massive areas of concern and need.

I don't think you can just point at Shurmur, Getty, injuroes, play calling, etc and say "This is the thing we need to fixand we will win games"

It's a combination of everything including the mess that was left by JR which I think is almost the biggest factor to consider.

The Giants had to literally tear down everything in 2018 and this year to start building the roster back up.

I think next season is going to be the real identity of the Giants.

Getty has all that 70 some odd million in cap space to wheel and deal and bring  FAs.

Shurmur has his QB with a year of experience under his belt and hopefully an improved roster.

I think if the Giants are sitting at 2-11 the same time next year then you just pull the plug on the coaching staff and hope the next one coming in is talented enough to make the roster work.

Otherwise it's another 4 or 5 years of rebuilding which the Giants should of started in 2015.

On 12/11/2019 at 11:58 AM, mastershake said:

If they're not ready to start, then they shouldn't be starting. Solder, Hernandez, Halapio, and Remmers should not be starters. They are all currently awful. That's on DG for penciling them in as starters, rather than filling in the roster with lineman actually capable of starting. If you want to argue the jury is still out on Hernandez...fine, but he's been horrible so far and shouldn't be starting.

DG has had two years and he's failed to put together a competent line. The line is actually worse now than it was last year.

They should start because they're the best we got... they suck but everyone else sucks worse.

2 hours ago, UK-Giantsfan said:

If Shurmur loses badly at home in embarrassing circumstances to Miami on Sun i doubt he even makes it past Monday 

I’m fine with this. I just don’t see the need to jettison coach or GM like I did with Mcadoo and Reese. It’s clear they at least have a vision and have started the process. I don’t think that it’s wise to throw that out now because a team that wasn’t expected to win isn’t winning.

So some reports coming out now that DG has reported to ownserhip that he would support/recommend firing Shurmur at season's end.

Take it with a grain of salt but there's lots of talk about that Matt Rhule guy being a likely candidate. 

The biggest hurdle would be Rhule would want complete control and even personnel decisons which the Mara's hate.

12 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

So some reports coming out now that DG has reported to ownserhip that he would support/recommend firing Shurmur at season's end.

Take it with a grain of salt but there's lots of talk about that Matt Rhule guy being a likely candidate. 

The biggest hurdle would be Rhule would want complete control and even personnel decisons which the Mara's hate.

That would be a bigger problem for Gettleman than Mara.

Here is the problem with a head coach being in complete control of a team:  Chip Kelly

You need to have a plan that is bigger than the head coach.  Drafting and signing players that fit the big picture of the character of the team.  The next head coach of the NY Giants will not get the luxury of choosing his own QB, he will have to work with Daniel Jones until the decision is made years later if he can lead the team to a championship.

I have reconsidered and changed my mind on firing DG this offseason. Joe and Evan brought up a good point. You're not just changing one position in the organization but the entire scouting department and approach. I now think this might bring too much chaos and upheaval in a short time.

I'd also like to add that DG has made some obviously huge mistakes in free agency (e.g. Nate Solder) and trades (e.g. Leonard Williams)...I'd like to see how he reacts and works to correct these, if at all. Does he cling to these moves and the sunken cost fallacy? Or does he cut his losses while he can, and work to correct them.

If he doesn't shape up in 1-2 years and get us pointing in the right direction, consider canning him then.

5 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

The one play they used a FB properly Saquon creamed the defense. I still cant believe Shurmur isnt investing a good FB or plays involving the FB - it could do wonders for Barkley

yeah,  he's at his best when he has a head of steam. 

but we put Jones in the game, and removed that part of the playbook. Seems like there should be a middle ground. 

17 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

The one play they used a FB properly Saquon creamed the defense. I still cant believe Shurmur isnt investing a good FB or plays involving the FB - it could do wonders for Barkley

I honestly feel like Penny could be a really good FB in the NFL.

He can run and catch the ball as well.

Why Shurmur doesn't use him like the Chargers or Broncos use their FB is beyond me.

Also keep in mind this is the same ownership that when they decided to make a change up they kicked their two time SB winning HC to the curve, but kept the GM who couldn't build a winning dynasty despite having 90% of the championship winning roster being put in place by the previous GM.

Shurmur might not deserve a firing, maybe just a demotion, but Mara just does whatever the fuck he wants when his mind is made up.

On 12/13/2019 at 2:18 PM, Herc said:

This sounds like recent bias since they played last night but All season I’ve wanted Greg Roman 

He seems like the new it man...the next sean mcvey....or kyle shanahan. All the teams hes coached on are playoff teams this year....sf....buf....balt. 

Not sure if it even means anything sine sf an buf have had a lot of roster turnover but his offensive guys play well for him. Hes done a good job everywhere...his teams score points.

Just wish he was black.